Creed to headline 24 or 25?

skillfulperson

I know Creed would probably get alot of hate as a booking but does anyone else think that they're likely to headline if they end up touring globally. 

For context Creed are doing reunion show(s) in America next year which puts a global tour in the cards for late 24 or 2025. 

My thought process is that they're a gigantic band historic sales wise(Human clay is something like 16x platinum), have previously or were meant to headline download in the past, and have a very good catalogue of songs (regardless of you're Christian or not) 

The only reasons I could see them not doing it are Alter Bridge have a massive following in the UK, and should arguably be headlining download before a well forgotten band, and Creed may have fallen out of favour with the masses since they last came to the UK

If they don't play download, what venue in the UK do you think they would play? I'd have thought something like Wembley arena at least. 

No way they would headline - probably sub or possibly even third if they were to play. 

Absolutely crazy to me that they haven’t played the U.K. since 1999 (or at least according to setlist.fm), even on their last reformation tour, but surely they’d make it over this time. I know they get a lot of hate, and rightfully so… but they’re really no worse than half the sh*t that gets booked for Download so I see no reason why they shouldn’t be booked. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine and I’m sure they’d go over fairly well to a Download crowd. 

But also very likely that they’d just end up playing their own shows. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

No way they would headline - probably sub or possibly even third if they were to play. 

Absolutely crazy to me that they haven’t played the U.K. since 1999 (or at least according to setlist.fm), even on their last reformation tour, but surely they’d make it over this time. I know they get a lot of hate, and rightfully so… but they’re really no worse than half the sh*t that gets booked for Download so I see no reason why they shouldn’t be booked. Definitely a guilty pleasure of mine and I’m sure they’d go over fairly well to a Download crowd. 

But also very likely that they’d just end up playing their own shows. 

Yeah, I get you. Definitely not a guilty pleasure for me, I think they're great but do get some of the Nickelback hate crowd (also a good band) 

Its a real shame theyve not come over here for ages. Scott Stapp even cancelled his solo tour this year, I expect because of poor ticket sales(he was only playing small venues and it didn't sell out). Maybe a long time since them playing would increase hype for a big UK show?

11 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Also, if you haven’t already seen it, watch this - one of my favourite videos just for how increasingly absurd it gets:

Lmao that has to be the most American thing I've seen. I died at the gospel singers and fireworks 😂

Creed were never, ever big in the UK. At their peak they played a 2k venue and opened a day fest under Sepultura, that's it. Scott on his own did 1.5k in 2014 playing 90% Creed songs. 

Off the back of a reunion they might get a bump but it'd be appalling if they were even third down main. 

7 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Creed were never, ever big in the UK. At their peak they played a 2k venue and opened a day fest under Sepultura, that's it. Scott on his own did 1.5k in 2014 playing 90% Creed songs. 

Off the back of a reunion they might get a bump but it'd be appalling if they were even third down main. 

No worse than Skindred or KSE getting it and they do.

10 hours ago, northernangel said:

No worse than Skindred or KSE getting it and they do.

KSE played fourth down seven years ago.

Skindred believe me I agree on getting slots that are too big for them, but they've always been more popular here than Creed. Not really a hard target when you're a Welsh band in the UK though. 

As I said, Creed will get a bump because of the reunion, but it'd be shocking if they were anywhere above second stage subs. From what's floating around right now anyway (apparently, I haven't seen anything concrete) it looks like DL24 will be shocking anyway. 

1 hour ago, BenG92 said:

Skindred believe me I agree on getting slots that are too big for them, but they've always been more popular here than Creed. Not really a hard target when you're a Welsh band in the UK though. 

As I said, Creed will get a bump because of the reunion, but it'd be shocking if they were anywhere above second stage subs. From what's floating around right now anyway (apparently, I haven't seen anything concrete) it looks like DL24 will be shocking anyway. 

KSE would get 3rd down but I admit from the poster I thought the act above them was some sort of KSE logo. It was a Motorhead tribute so fair. I never followed either.

22 hours ago, BenG92 said:

A reason I'd disagree is that Alter Bridge fans are huge in number. They eat up anything Myles or Tremoni does, and theres alot of crossover obviously with Creed and Alter Bridge. 

Prophets of rage which was basically a bastardised RATM sub headlined. Die Antvood too, and he's sh*t!

On 7/19/2023 at 9:19 PM, skillfulperson said:

have previously or were meant to headline download in the past

Wait, what? You’ve 100% made this up. 

They’ve never been an arena band in the UK and they still aren’t. They’d be lucky to get the second stage sub slot, and that’s with the reunion hype. 

Hopefully they don’t play at all, because you couldn’t pay me to listen to their Christian mingle faux grunge crap. 

On 7/22/2023 at 8:55 AM, skillfulperson said:

A reason I'd disagree is that Alter Bridge fans are huge in number. They eat up anything Myles or Tremoni does, and theres alot of crossover obviously with Creed and Alter Bridge. 

Prophets of rage which was basically a bastardised RATM sub headlined. Die Antvood too, and he's sh*t!

Prophets were a limited run supergroup with members from 3 bands all orders of magnitude bigger than Creed here, playing tunes from those artists. Same(ish) reason Them Crooked Vultures subbed 2010.

Die Antwoord are sh*t (are, it's 2 people) but still sold more UK tickets than Creed or Scott ever did, although I agree it was a horrible booking and I'm 99% confident it only happened because Corey Taylor knew it would piss people off. 

The Alter Bridge factor, maybe. But they won't be playing any AB songs as Creed. If Creed really is the best sub/2nd head Download can get against a complete boring top trio of Rammstein / A7X / Maiden then good lord it's a bad year already. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, BenG92 said:

Prophets were a limited run supergroup with members from 3 bands all orders of magnitude bigger than Creed here, playing tunes from those artists. Same(ish) reason Them Crooked Vultures subbed 2010.

Die Antwoord are sh*t (are, it's 2 people) but still sold more UK tickets than Creed or Scott ever did, although I agree it was a horrible booking and I'm 99% confident it only happened because Corey Taylor knew it would piss people off. 

The Alter Bridge factor, maybe. But they won't be playing any AB songs as Creed. If Creed really is the best sub/2nd head Download can get against a complete boring top trio of Rammstein / A7X / Maiden then good lord it's a bad year already. 

The TCV thing was shite and they only got that slot because of who they are. Isn't is also said that TCV essentially headlined given AC/DC wouldn't actually play the Download stage or appear on the merch?, yhey essentially played their own gig on their own stage inside of another festival? Dave Grohl has also never been back.

On 8/13/2023 at 8:31 AM, northernangel said:

The TCV thing was shite and they only got that slot because of who they are. Isn't is also said that TCV essentially headlined given AC/DC wouldn't actually play the Download stage or appear on the merch?, yhey essentially played their own gig on their own stage inside of another festival? Dave Grohl has also never been back.

It was a weird one, TCV didn't headline, they got 1hr15 and were in a sub slot on the site. AC/DC just wanted their own entire stage setup nobody could mess with. And yeah, AC/DC weren't on the shirts. That day was also 2 hours shorter than the usual Fridays.

It's why I don't think they'll be back, AC/DC did Download a massive favour playing in the first place, they're the biggest draw possible and absolutely packed that field to the walls. 

• 2 months later...

With the confirmation of Creed's run next year from July, I was half-wondering if they might have used European festival slots to warm up. But indeed, imagine it would be more of a case of them wanting more money/better billing than they earn here.

Got a soft spot for some of their material. If they come up north next autumn, I'll be interested in seeing if I can make it work.

8 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

With the confirmation of Creed's run next year from July, I was half-wondering if they might have used European festival slots to warm up. But indeed, imagine it would be more of a case of them wanting more money/better billing than they earn here.

Got a soft spot for some of their material. If they come up north next autumn, I'll be interested in seeing if I can make it work.

Where have you seen this?