Pregnant at Glastonbury

Justcalledtosay

Not me ..but my wife was 10 weeks pregnant at Glastonbury. It certainly made it a different festival to that which we expected when we booked the tickets particularly in the heat and especially navigating some of the busy crowds. 

We'd heard there were midwives in the healing fields but we couldn't locate them which led us to think whether there are any other facilities or services which could've helped? Thought this thread might also be a useful for others going forward.

Edited by Justcalledtosay

4 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

We'd heard there were midwives in the healing fields but we couldn't locate them which led us to think whether there are any other facilities or services which could've helped? Thought this thread might also be a useful for others going forward.

They were definitely there. One of them is an old friend of mine.

• Upvote 1

I saw a few women with a 'baby on board' badges this year and I did wonder what their experiences might have been like... for example 20 year old me wouldn't have it on my radar to be kinder and more considerate to someone who was pregnant, where as now nearly 40 year old me (and a Mum myself) I feel super protective and would have gone out of my way to make sure a pregnant woman was ok 

17 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

I don't think there's much that midwives can do for a 10 week old pregnancy though apart from tell the person to drink more, wash their hands a lot and don't move around in the hottest part of the day. If something was obviously going wrong then FMS would be the place to go.

Nothing was wrong but it would've been nice to have had a refuge and somewhere considerate to go to whilst the sun was blazing hot...

My wife originally got a ticket with me back in November. We found out she was pregnant in March and she decided against coming. A couple of reasons. 1 was that I don't think she fancied sleeping on the floor (an airbed) when 13/14 weeks pregnant. The main one though was just the sheer scale/busyness of it. I know I would probably have been over protective, especially in the big crowds. She would also have stressed out a lot being there I think.

We did discuss ways to make it work we would both be comfortable with but in the end she decided she would rather not go. She also insisted I go and enjoy myself which was amazing of her.

@JustcalledtosayI don't know if you went to any of the merch stands but they had some babygrows which were great. Couldn't help myself.

We actually used this picture to announce the pregnancy when I got back 😄 

356429945_10167067872695538_2933624723318855397_n.jpg

Edited by DareToDibble
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Ahh congratulations mate!

We did go to the merch stands but we didn’t want to tempt fate as we hadn’t had the 12 week scan at that point. We did do something similar for an announcement pic though…IMG_7604.thumb.jpeg.fb8e8b0ee88a5c584336ce172a464593.jpeg

That's a great picture, congratulations!

Totally get the 12 week thing. Our scan was a week late (so actually a 13 week scan) and was on the Tuesday. I was very nervous when my wife told me the date at first as I thought it was the Wednesday! 😄 

Have you started putting the feelers out for someone to babysit during the festival next year yet? 👀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

That's a great picture, congratulations!

Totally get the 12 week thing. Our scan was a week late (so actually a 13 week scan) and was on the Tuesday. I was very nervous when my wife told me the date at first as I thought it was the Wednesday! 😄 

Have you started putting the feelers out for someone to babysit during the festival next year yet? 👀

Ha! We've done the last two years, so we're sitting next year out. We've already got a 2 year old, so finding a baby sitter for both for all that time could be tricky!

My wife went 6 months pregnant in 2013. Spent loads of time in the healing fields and chilling, stayed at the back during the biggest crowds.... I can remember feeling super protective during the Stones (and abit anxious beforehand about how busy it would be). All in all, was the first very chilled festival we did, and have taken that as pretty much the template ever since. (of course, being knackered parents has all contributed to the festival being alot less partying in the last 10 years).

• Like 1