The weather thread

SloopJohnB

21 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Oh my god the weather is shocking in Penrith at the moment….it’s been pissing down on and off for a few days and tbe long range forecast doesn’t look to be changing much for the festival 😡

I just assume it'll be like that at Kendal. Think it's rained and been muddy every time I've been! 

Not looking good is it? 

Our first Kendal, have seen it rains most of the time, not really bothered.

However, how strict are they on the tarps / shelters / gazebos in camp sites rule? As we only taking tiny tents, so would suck to have no shelter to sit at when back in camp.

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Not looking good is it? 

However, how strict are they on the tarps / shelters / gazebos in camp sites rule? As we only taking tiny tents, so would suck to have no shelter to sit at when back in camp.

They usually tell you to take them down in the first day….they’re more relaxed after that 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

Not looking good is it? 

There's a camping field a bit further away from the arena that had loads of space last year, my guess is that they'll be stricter in the more packed camping sites closer to the arena.  But I guess the biggest issue will be the wind...

Honestly, its a great little festival but the weather is consistently awful there. Pack for cold even if the rain eases off on the forecasts 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 5:55 PM, efcfanwirral said:

There's a camping field a bit further away from the arena that had loads of space last year, my guess is that they'll be stricter in the more packed camping sites closer to the arena.  But I guess the biggest issue will be the wind...

Honestly, its a great little festival but the weather is consistently awful there. Pack for cold even if the rain eases off on the forecasts 

Yikes, I have a super strong ‘gorilla’ brand commercial gazeebo that would stand up to anything (and consistently has done) but it weighs an absolute metric tonne, it’s that heavy it won’t move in gale force winds even unanchored. Wouldn’t fancy carrying that far though, was hoping to just use a decent backpacking tarp. 

Are the camping fields quite open to wind then? Tarps don’t do too well in exposed areas 😕 (nor do cheaper / lighter gazebos. 😕 )

13 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Yikes, I have a super strong ‘gorilla’ brand commercial gazeebo that would stand up to anything (and consistently has done) but it weighs an absolute metric tonne, it’s that heavy it won’t move in gale force winds even unanchored. Wouldn’t fancy carrying that far though, was hoping to just use a decent backpacking tarp. 

Are the camping fields quite open to wind then? Tarps don’t do too well in exposed areas 😕 (nor do cheaper / lighter gazebos. 😕 )

Was more the field I was in last year (Haye Parks North according to the map) was quite open as there weren't that many camping there - I'm guessing if its windy a gazebo is more exposed to issues if there's less tents around it? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Donalbain said:

i take it it's going to be a wet one then next weekend? suppose we got lucky with decent weather at Glastonbury.

Are we talking wellies wet?

There’s hope for some nice weather, especially towards the end of the weekend, but the ground looks like it’s taken a battering lately. 

13 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

I saw a photo the other day and the ground looked okay. 

It's more the last week or so that the weather has been horrendous... To be fair, I'm talking High Peaks here, assumiong it's been similar in the Lakes, but I could be wrong. 

On 7/20/2023 at 10:14 AM, Alvoram said:

It's more the last week or so that the weather has been horrendous... To be fair, I'm talking High Peaks here, assumiong it's been similar in the Lakes, but I could be wrong. 

how's it looking pal, any better?

45 minutes ago, Donalbain said:

how's it looking pal, any better?

I'm out of the high peaks now, back down in the Derbyshire Dales / south Peak District, and to be fair, we've had a much nicer couple of days than the weather forecasters would have led us to believe. 

I saw on the Kendal Calling facebook page that they've also had some lovely weather the last day or so. 

Charts aren't looking fantastic... It's all about that low coming on over Northern Ireland... I'm preying that by some miracle that could be pushed much further North, then we'd be in for a good one, but it's unlikely to happen... 

Walking boots and waterproofs are packed and ready. 

image.png.ed8c58cecfd6ea2b72c103e861a4aded.png

image.png.5da597941bb78f2a09407c299eff009c.png

image.png.b2abddacbb65e06f7aef001e2a46eb87.png

13 hours ago, Nad123 said:

Keep us updated on Any updates on that low over northern island 🙂 

I live about 5 miles from site….it’s been raining pretty constantly for days….more rain forecast leading up to and throughout the festival….it’s cold at night….bring wellies, waterproofs and warm clothes….it’s gonna be grim!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, SloopJohnB said:

I live about 5 miles from site….it’s been raining pretty constantly for days….more rain forecast leading up to and throughout the festival….it’s cold at night….bring wellies, waterproofs and warm clothes….it’s gonna be grim!

Normally I'm really excited about festivals but I'm actually dreading this one a little bit! 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Normally I'm really excited about festivals but I'm actually dreading this one a little bit! 

I’ve been following the bbc and met office forecast and they’re not great but not horrific either. Hopefully it won’t be quite as awful as it has been 🤞🏽

Walking boots always... I'd rather avoid particular areas or walk around with wet feet than wear wellies, either way I'm gonna get trench foot!!!

Having said that, there is very very little rain currently forecast from Thursday to Monday, a couple of very light showers... Fingers crossed that holds. 🤞

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Walking boots always... I'd rather avoid particular areas or walk around with wet feet than wear wellies, either way I'm gonna get trench foot!!!

Having said that, there is very very little rain currently forecast from Thursday to Monday, a couple of very light showers... Fingers crossed that holds. 🤞

Fingers crossed, thanks for the update. Keep us posted on any good or bad news.

Netweather's forecast for Lowther Castle Thurs - Sunday looks incredible... Beyond what my wildest imaginations were a week ago!!!

One tiny shower Thursday... 

92174819_Screenshot2023-07-26134011.jpg.d48ff00add6e6aa996c9b364b4b043a6.jpg

1151250082_Screenshot2023-07-26134033.jpg.61c26079709f81f935499e6cebfa41d8.jpg

1242544880_Screenshot2023-07-26134054.jpg.dc26aa23261402554bf95e71e2bec6cd.jpg

75880759_Screenshot2023-07-26134112.jpg.8b38321dbf599b6c4589a4b419f155e2.jpg

Stick, Stick, Stick...

(Edited to add: It should be noted that this is in stark contrast to the BBC forecast, and I'd still expect rain!!! The Iphone weather app pretty much agrees with Netweather though. 🙂 )

Edited by Alvoram
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

Netweather's forecast for Lowther Castle Thurs - Sunday looks incredible... Beyond what my wildest imaginations were a week ago!!!

One tiny shower Thursday... 

92174819_Screenshot2023-07-26134011.jpg.d48ff00add6e6aa996c9b364b4b043a6.jpg

1151250082_Screenshot2023-07-26134033.jpg.61c26079709f81f935499e6cebfa41d8.jpg

1242544880_Screenshot2023-07-26134054.jpg.dc26aa23261402554bf95e71e2bec6cd.jpg

75880759_Screenshot2023-07-26134112.jpg.8b38321dbf599b6c4589a4b419f155e2.jpg

Stick, Stick, Stick...

Lets hope the festival doesn't take to much damage over night.

Slowly starting to get excited now.