Should flags be banned ?

Crazyfool01

Should they ban flags or not ?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Should they ban flags ?

• Total ban on Flags during Acts
    • Some restrictions to help those further back on disabled platforms and without physical/mental ability to go down the front see some of the stage (eg. no flags in the pit, and one flag per pole)
    • Flags everywhere - I like vibes and don't care if others can't see

3 hours ago, UEF said:

Say what you like about litter, gazebos, chairs or anything else -

But if you have a flag at the front you're blocking the view for literally thousands of people. I don't know how you can do that without asking yourself some searching questions. 

Yeah and that’s why option 3 is worded correctly really. People might not like it being put so bluntly but if you have one at the front of a stage you simply do not care. 

Just now, strummer77 said:

Yeah and that’s why option 3 is worded correctly really. People might not like it being put so bluntly but if you have one at the front of a stage you simply do not care. 

Never carried a flag myself and never will, I simply couldn't be bothered. But I do like them. I do think if option 3 were worded differently it might get a more honest result.

4 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Which is why they're predominate at the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Never carried a flag myself and never will, I simply couldn't be bothered. But I do like them. I do think if option 3 were worded differently it might get a more honest result.

That is an honest result. A dishonest one would be pretending people behind can see!

The whole point of this thread is because the situation has got so bad people who want to go and see acts at the Pyramid - including those with mental or physical issues who can’t go down the front - can no longer see the stage.  

Edited by strummer77

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I suspect some who like flags won't answer option 3 due to the loaded wording. So the result of the poll might not be as accurate as it could be. 

It’s not actually loaded. If you want a load of flags at the front that block the view then that is just a statement of fact. People shouldn’t sugar coat it  

What you mean is ‘I like flags and don’t care the people including those on disabled platforms can no longer see so please stop pointing out this is the case’

Option 2 is available for those that like flags and do want everyone to be able to see. 

Edited by strummer77

Also honestly have no idea how those that hold flags down the front think they should be allowed.

Those at the front are clearly down the front as they want to get a good view - but at the same time are fine with blocking the views of those behind. 

Option 2 allows everyone to be happy 

2 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Option 2 is available for those that like flags and do want everyone to be able to see. 

I didn't vote option 2 because I don't think it is realistic. I can't see how they would police it. So given the options that I feel could actually happen, I went with option 3 because I wouldn't want to see a total ban.

Just now, Cream Soda said:

I didn't vote option 2 because I don't think it is realistic. I can't see how they would police it. So given the options that I feel could actually happen, I went with option 3 because I wouldn't want to see a total ban.

That’s fine but it is true then that you don’t really mind if others who wish to see can see the stage 

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

Stewards and security would do some stewarding and securitying.

1 minute ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Stewards and security would do some stewarding and securitying.

Also most people do as they’re asked. When they asked people to pick up camping chairs at Elton the vast majority did. Those that didn’t quickly were encouraged to pick them up by others. 

Edited by strummer77

57 minutes ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

It is not in any way comparable to flags. 

It doesn't take up nearly as much space and is usually removed during sets. 

It is absolutely a one off which brings joy to a vast number of people at the festival. How many flag bearers are constantly high fived by people who appreciate their flags and asked for selfies by people with their flags? 

The reason that the festival is what it is is because people came up with creative ideas that 'normal' people likely considered stupid, a waste of time, it'll never work etc etc. 

Those ideas were tried and then developed and evolved into some of the most amazing sights, sounds and works of art that we're lucky enough to enjoy every year despite the dissing of the naysayers. What have the latter folk ever contributed to the festival? 

The Pyramid Stage Hat is a classic example of the seed of an idea that has the potential to evolve. I have witnessed exactly this so many times. 

I could continue to try to explain to you quite what I'm getting at here, but hopefully you'll now see the difference between the flags and the hat. 

Cheers 

Out of reactions, but this is great. Worded it better than I could have. Huge love for the Pyramid Stage Hat and it'd be amazing to one day spot it at the festival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As mentioned earlier we had a multitude of gazebos , flares and sky lanterns not so many years ago … the festival asked people not to bring them … and guess where we are today …. No enforcement of those items apart from putting them on the banned item list . They just stopped 

38 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

You still see quite a lot of flares at Glastonbury. But yeah, no doubt the numbers would be reduced.

flares were wax candles at one point that was what I referred to ..... however the ones held above heads its either had no impact or marginal 

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

flares were wax candles at one point that was what I referred to ..... however the ones held above heads its either had no impact or marginal 

Personal opinion, willing to be technically challenged; distress flares are dangerous and should be nowhere near crowds, but smoke bombs (IMO) are fine and add loads to the atmosphere of a set.

Wax candles were a nightmare, not only for the danger of starting fires/burning people, but also from the point of view of litter.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Personal opinion, willing to be technically challenged; distress flares are dangerous and should be nowhere near crowds, but smoke bombs (IMO) are fine and add loads to the atmosphere of a set.

Wax candles were a nightmare, not only for the danger of starting fires/burning people, but also from the point of view of litter.

im not sure the difference between the first 2 tbh 

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

im not sure the difference between the first 2 tbh 

Edit

Apparently I was talking complete shite

Flares burn at the melting point of steel and contain toxic chemicals. Designed for marine distress, they are deliberately difficult to extinguish. Smoke bombs also burn at high temperatures and are not designed for use in confined spaces. They can cause panic in a tightly packed crowd and trigger asthma attacks

Edited by Skip997

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Smoke bombs are used to create a plume of smoke for an artistic effect and are what are commonly seen during sets. Fairly low heat and relatively safe in competent hands.

Distress flares are used to signal (usually) a boat in trouble and are higher heat and not safe anywhere near a crowd.

smoke bomb then ? 

IMG_6506.jpeg

I really do think that if the festival encouraged people not to bring their flags to the stage, a lot of them would stop doing it. Not everybody, but it would get a bit better at least.

It might be naive but I think most of the people with flags haven't even thought about others not seeing the stage.

I think smokers and talkers are a bigger issue than flags though. 😆

Edited by Calvin Klein