Football 2023/24

charlierc

13 hours ago, Neil said:

my favourite spurs fan was last heard from before today, taking the piss out of ;Liverpool losing the other day. so i've enjoyed taking the piss today.

I did get that joy with a Spurs fan I've known for years that I've on/off spoken with. And a little modicum of getting one back after we conceded four at Spurs back in December.

It was a good result for us tbf, coupled with Manchester United failing to win at Bournemouth later as it means we jump them in the table. Given how much injuries have ruined our season, and during the last international break I genuinely thought we might sink into the bottom half, a top 6/7 finish would be a pretty great result.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:21 PM, charlierc said:

Huh. My instinct was that Liverpool were likelier to win the Europa League than the Premier League, yet such a large faceplant at home to Atalanta doesn't help.

Neither, clearly, does this loss to Crystal Palace where could've scored 4/5 but couldn't even get one in. Maybe the path is opening up for another boring old Man City title after all.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Neither, clearly, does this loss to Crystal Palace where could've scored 4/5 but couldn't even get one in. Maybe the path is opening up for another boring old Man City title after all.

spurs are going to let arsenal score so many that arsenal win it on goal difference.

53 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

After watching Wrexham for 35 years and seeing 2 promotions, that has doubled to 4 in the space of 2 seasons. No better feeling for a lower league football fan, looking forward to league 1.

what you gonna do when the money runs out? - revert to Wrexham's normal.

21 hours ago, thetime said:

Screenshot_20240414_190908_X.jpg

I mean, I'd take such a trophy haul as a fan of a club that hasn't won anything big in a while.

Also more than Man Utd have won since Klopp arrived in England tbf. If for different reasons. But I get the point that he arguably could, maybe perhaps should, have won more, even if Guardiola's winning machine was a bit of a substantial opponent.

48 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, I'd take such a trophy haul as a fan of a club that hasn't won anything big in a while.

Also more than Man Utd have won since Klopp arrived in England tbf. If for different reasons. But I get the point that he arguably could, maybe perhaps should, have won more, even if Guardiola's winning machine was a bit of a substantial opponent.

guardiola's access to cash was the substantial opponent. if kopp had had the same money available he'd have had virgil loads earlier.

50 minutes ago, charlierc said:

same number of champions league titles as ferguson.

19 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

After watching Wrexham for 35 years and seeing 2 promotions, that has doubled to 4 in the space of 2 seasons. No better feeling for a lower league football fan, looking forward to league 1.

As a Pompey supporter I wish Wrexham all the best in League 1 - it is a tough league to get out of.................... hopefully not even Pompey can mess it up this time!

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

It's no bigger to win more than utd last 10 years.

He should of won more title, with the plaudits he is getting. One league title, and a covid 1 to boot. Great managers raise there game to conquer the likes of city's money. Fergie did it with Roman and his billions.

Klopp has been a success, but not as great as people say for me. 

41 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As a Pompey supporter I wish Wrexham all the best in League 1 - it is a tough league to get out of.................... hopefully not even Pompey can mess it up this time!

i had the misfortune to live & work  in pompey for three years in the early eighties but never got a fondness for the footie team ( but i did when i lived in soton 😛 )

14 minutes ago, thetime said:

It's no bigger to win more than utd last 10 years.

He should of won more title, with the plaudits he is getting. One league title, and a covid 1 to boot. Great managers raise there game to conquer the likes of city's money. Fergie did it with Roman and his billions.

Klopp has been a success, but not as great as people say for me. 

if those european finals had been won,it would look hugely different. the success was getting to those finals in the first place - many more than god-fergie managed.

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

if those european finals had been won,it would look hugely different. the success was getting to those finals in the first place - many more than god-fergie managed.

Fergie got to 5 european finals whilst at utd, 4 champions leagues and 1 Cup winners cup.

Klopp got to 3, 2 champions league and a europa. 

Everton appealing their 2 point deduction. Also Chelsea may of got around their potential deduction by selling the two hotels attached to Stamford bridge to another company Boehly owns

30 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fergie got to 5 european finals whilst at utd, 4 champions leagues and 1 Cup winners cup.

Klopp got to 3, 2 champions league and a europa. 

In a tenth of the time so a bigger return 

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

In a tenth of the time so a bigger return 

Aaahhh moving the goal posts. 

Let's not forget fergie missed a chunk, after the scousers couldn't behave in a european cup final. 

Edited by thetime

11 minutes ago, thetime said:

Aaahhh moving the goal posts. 

Let's not forget fergie missed a chunk, after the scousers couldn't behave in a european cup final. 

And utd missed a decade before that cos they were too sh*t 

21 hours ago, Neil said:

what you gonna do when the money runs out? - revert to Wrexham's normal.

Wrexhams normal when I was a teenager was a mid table league one side. A dodgy owner took over and tried to destroy the club and we took nearly 20 years to recover. We are now back to where we were before the leech arrived.

When the money runs out im hoping we have all 4 sides of the ground open, a new training ground , a decent youth setup and a new generation of fans. When I grew up all the kids (apart from weirdos like me) supported Liverpool, Man U and Everton, the kids are now supporting Wrexham. Not sure how long the ride will last, so just going to enjoy it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neil said:

And utd missed a decade before that cos they were too sh*t 

Fergie wasn't there then though, only arrived season after Heysel. That put English clubs 10 years behind the rest of Europe. 

Which carries a bit of weight, as no English side got to the European Cup Final until 1999 after the ban. This was after dominating from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. 

8 minutes ago, thetime said:

Fergie wasn't there then though, only arrived season after Heysel. That put English clubs 10 years behind the rest of Europe. 

Which carries a bit of weight, as no English side got to the European Cup Final until 1999 after the ban. This was after dominating from the mid 70s to the mid 80s. 

Love that utd fans want to blame Liverpool for utd being sh*t 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Love that utd fans want to blame Liverpool for utd being sh*t 

Not at all, it put all English clubs back 10 years. 

That's not even a debate. Leeds, Blackburn, arsenal and utd all struggled post heysel in the European Cup. Although both Arsenal and utd did well in the lesser Cup winners Cup. I'm sure @pink_trianglecan remember the wrexham game in 90/91. 

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

Not at all, it put all English clubs back 10 years. 

That's not even a debate. Leeds, Blackburn, arsenal and utd all struggled post heysel in the European Cup. Although both Arsenal and utd did well in the lesser Cup winners Cup. I'm sure @pink_trianglecan remember the wrexham game in 90/91. 

In which case Liverpool fans can blame utd for the PREM wilderness years.