Best time to arrive?

Gabi taft

First time at Glastonbury this year and I have read a lot of different opinions on what the best time to arrive is. We was thinking of driving through the night (driving from Hull so a long drive) to arrive early Wednesday morning, sleep in the car until the gates open and then queue. Is this the best option or do people have other suggestions? All suggestions are welcome and helpful!! Thanks guys 

23 minutes ago, Gabi taft said:

First time at Glastonbury this year and I have read a lot of different opinions on what the best time to arrive is. We was thinking of driving through the night (driving from Hull so a long drive) to arrive early Wednesday morning, sleep in the car until the gates open and then queue. Is this the best option or do people have other suggestions? All suggestions are welcome and helpful!! Thanks guys 

Hi Gabi

There isn't really a right or wrong answer, it depends on what's important to you and where you are travelling from.  Gates to the festival site open at 8am.  People queue through the night to get a good spot and the closer to this time you try, the better spot you'll be able to get but also the bigger queue you'll experience.

I'd recommend having a read of this thread, where lots of people tell about how they do it. 

What is your arrival strategy?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gabi taft said:

First time at Glastonbury this year and I have read a lot of different opinions on what the best time to arrive is. We was thinking of driving through the night (driving from Hull so a long drive) to arrive early Wednesday morning, sleep in the car until the gates open and then queue. Is this the best option or do people have other suggestions? All suggestions are welcome and helpful!! Thanks 

Queues will start forming at the gates on Tuesday evening and swell through the night, so by the time the gates open those just joining the queue may have a wait of 2hr+ to get in. Obviously popular camping fields fill quickest so any arrival plans start with when can we arrive and where would be like to camp.

Edited by Lycra
  • Like 1

Not much different to say - other than avoid sleeping in the car if you can.  Great to drive through the night and avoid a lot of traffic you might otherwise encounter but once you've arrived onsite I reckon the busiest times to join the queue are 2/3 hours either side of gates opening - so if you're thinking of joining the queue any time before 9am then the earlier the better, and after 9am you might as well wait another couple of hours or else it's a really painful stop-start (reach back of queue, walk for a bit, stop, put your bags down, pick them up again, move another bit, stop etc) entry into the festival. 

If you're napping in the car other people are joining the queue ahead of you.  If you don't care too much about where you camp then I wouldn't worry too much about hitting the back of the queue before 11am.  

• Like 1

Unless you want to camp in the popular areas there is no real point in going early. If you turn up on Wednesday after midday you'll typically not experience any queueing at all and there is still plenty of camping space to be had.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

Unless you want to camp in the popular areas there is no real point in going early. If you turn up on Wednesday after midday you'll typically not experience any queueing at all and there is still plenty of camping space to be had.

Arriving Wednesday 1pm last time we drove straight into the west car parking. We then had a walk of 25mins to Gate A where we queued for approx an hour to get in. It was no problem for us arriving at this time as others set up our tents as the gates were opening. Bit of an inside job as friends were already on site as volunteers 😀

For those arriving Wednesday afternoon onwards the western fields offer space. The east side around the Pyramid fills quickly as does the fields near The Other stage, Park and John Peel

On 4/16/2023 at 2:38 PM, Dave_c said:

This. I walk in every year around lunch time on the Weds. No queue whatsoever, plenty of decent camping spots still available. 

• Like 1