It started with a stick 2.0

Sawdusty surfer

On 6/10/2023 at 3:47 PM, Quark said:

@Sawdusty surfer what was the end word on your log candles old chap? Are any going to be available, still time to take orders, or a complete no-no this year?

Sadly not going to happen. Partly because I've got so much on but mainly because of the price of timber. I usually make them from larch or spruce. The price per cubic metre of the timber (it's sold by volume not weight as weight changes significantly depending on moisture content) doubled in 2020 and has continued to creep up since then. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable charging the price that I'd have to to make it even nearly worthwhile. 

Edited by Sawdusty surfer

Other news, got the two chambered one completed but took a whole lot longer than expected. Zero chance getting the three version made. May bring it along as a work in progress.

Three days ago I managed to get hold of a huge oak rootball. It's bone oak, felled decades ago and left in the ground so all the sapwood has rotted off. It's about 7 1/2 foot high and almost as wide. My crane really struggled to lift it. I know exactly what I want to do with it. Hopefully start on on tomorrow afternoon with a view to having it ready for the festival. Fingers crossed.

PXL_20230607_190326260.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Other news, got the two chambered one completed but took a whole lot longer than expected. Zero chance getting the three version made. May bring it along as a work in progress.

Three days ago I managed to get hold of a huge oak rootball. It's bone oak, felled decades ago and left in the ground so all the sapwood has rotted off. It's about 7 1/2 foot high and almost as wide. My crane really struggled to lift it. I know exactly what I want to do with it. Hopefully start on on tomorrow afternoon with a view to having it ready for the festival. Fingers crossed.

PXL_20230607_190326260.jpg

Looks like animals growing out of the wood

1 - Tortoise

2 - dog with tongue hanging out

3 - polar bear

IMG_20230611_235144.jpg

IMG_20230611_235215.jpg

IMG_20230611_235300.jpg

Edited by gazzared

9 hours ago, Sawdusty surfer said:

Sadly not going to happen. Partly because I've got so much on but mainly because of the price of timber. I usually make them from larch or spruce. The price per cubic metre of the timber (it's sold by volume not weight as weight changes significantly depending on moisture content) doubled in 2020 and has continued to creep up since then. 

I wouldn't feel comfortable charging the price that I'd have to to make it even nearly worthwhile. 

No worries, figured that would be the case after you mentioned the materials costs previously, but thought it worth checking!