access stewarding advice

Sarah32

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

@tarw think you posted about this earlier ? 

1 hour ago, Sarah32 said:

Hiya, can anyone advise what access stewarding is like? ie, what deposit, how many shifts and how long etc? what is camp like etc? I have gone with Shelter last few years but didn't enjoy it last year. Thanks!

Just coming out from Frank Turner. I’ll post some details tomorrow 

12 hours ago, Sarah32 said:

Hiya, can anyone advise what access stewarding is like? ie, what deposit, how many shifts and how long etc? what is camp like etc? I have gone with Shelter last few years but didn't enjoy it last year. Thanks!

Right access stewarding. I’ve only done it twice so there might be people with more experience that can tell you more. 

3 x 8hr shifts which can be doing a variety of things. 

Loading and unloading luggage and people onto the minibus to go between the access car park and the campsite. Can be quite physically demanding if you an old fat guy like me. Great fun chatting to people full of excitement on the way in and full of stories on the way out. 

campsite stewarding- making sure that only people who should be on the campsite get in. Making sure the site is safe etc. chatting to people and giving help and advice. Generally very enjoyable. Two downsides to these shifts if the toilets get blocked you might be given the “sticky stick” and if you are doing it overnight it is dire between 4 and 8. After you have helped the returnees from the SE corner pour themselves out of their scooters and into their tent there’s not much going on. 

veiwing platforms. I’ve never had a viewing platform shift so can’t tell you too much about these other than you make sure that only people with accreditation use them and the facilities and everyone can see. You might get a coked up sub and his goons force their way onto the platform and stand in front of the people with access needs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hard to say about the campsite as we are moving this year to Wicket Ground. In the past we have camped backstage at the JPT and on a strip of land next to Spring Ground. Don’t know where we’ll be this year but they have said it will be near to Wicket. 

I think that the stewarding team are very friendly and easy to get in with. A lot of the stewards have access needs themselves and are old hands. It isn’t for everyone but I enjoy it

1 hour ago, tarw said:

Right access stewarding. I’ve only done it twice so there might be people with more experience that can tell you more. 

Loading and unloading luggage and people onto the minibus to go between the access car park and the campsite. Can be quite physically demanding if you an old fat guy like me. Great fun chatting to people full of excitement on the way in and full of stories on the way out. 

campsite stewarding- making sure that only people who should be on the campsite get in. Making sure the site is safe etc. chatting to people and giving help and advice. Generally very enjoyable. Two downsides to these shifts if the toilets get blocked you might be given the “sticky stick” and if you are doing it overnight it is dire between 4 and 8. After you have helped the returnees from the SE corner pour themselves out of their scooters and into their tent there’s not much going on. 

veiwing platforms. I’ve never had a viewing platform shift so can’t tell you too much about these other than you make sure that only people with accreditation use them and the facilities and everyone can see. You might get a coked up sub and his goons force their way onto the platform and stand in front of the people with access needs. 

This is the my last glasto I'm paying for.. 

I've jumped the fence.. Before the bigggggg fence was built 

I've been driven in in the back of a lorry and worked for 3 days before the festival started setting up a cafe.. 

I've paid 

Now the wife says to try stewarding at least once before hanging up our glasto boots and it's going to be with the disabled crew we'll do this..

There amazing people.. The help they give from Wednesday to Monday is crazy they deserve a medal some of them... Well all the volunteers do.. Imo 

I'm not sure wot I'll be doing but definitely asking this year.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tarw said:

really helpful thanks so much!!!

3 minutes ago, Sarah33 said:

thanks so much for your advice! This is super helpful!  thanks also to @hogga for replying to message. Unfortunately I can't read it as I have been banned from the site? literally only posted this last night so I am not sure why! thanks Sarah

There’s some ip blocks in place which unfortunately are causing some issues for access for some users … just checked your profile and you aren’t banned … if you turn off your phone and back on again or reset router it should hopefully resolve that 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 10:53 PM, Neil said:

try msging @hoggaand @stone_circle who have both worked that gig i believe.

I volunteered with Oxfam stewards and my role was ticket checking at the Accessible Arrivals marquee. Absolutely loved it! There were 6 Access Stewards working in the marquee who check all that new arrivals in and ensure that customers have the correct access passes etc.

I have also received an invitation to apply but I was fortunate to get a ticket so I won't be volunteering this year.

@Chazeboy worked there last year too so calling him to the thread! 🙂

Edited by StoneCircle
  • Like 1