Sleeping bags, mats etc

Liam_G

Can anyone recommend some decent sleeping bags and mats (pref self inflating ones) for Glastonbury? Since we haven't been before we weren't sure how chilly it got at night so not entirely sure what to get equipment wise, we both get really cold feet when going to bed haha but also get really hot once we are asleep  

i did see this mat on go outdoors, looks decent to me? 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15979403/berghaus-peak-self-inflating-mat-xl-15979403

Edited by Liam_G

8 hours ago, Liam_G said:

Can anyone recommend some decent sleeping bags and mats (pref self inflating ones) for Glastonbury? Since we haven't been before we weren't sure how chilly it got at night so not entirely sure what to get equipment wise, we both get really cold feet when going to bed haha but also get really hot once we are asleep  

i did see this mat on go outdoors, looks decent to me? 

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15979403/berghaus-peak-self-inflating-mat-xl-15979403

It can get quite cold at night, especially if the fest is not blessed with good hot weather. For comfort I would recommend a 3 season sleeping bag on an air bed or thick self inflating mattress, all upon an insulating foam camping mat. At 4cm thickness the berghaus mat must be teamed with a foam mat to give a degree of comfort. A 4cm thick self inflator is the entry level mat and thicker ones give more comfort. However with increasinf thickness comes increasing mat weight.

12 hours ago, Liam_G said:

Can anyone recommend some decent sleeping bags and mats (pref self inflating ones) for Glastonbury?

If you really want a good self inflating mat, then you need to go with a thermarest or a sea to summit (there are a few other quality options, can't remember names).

Not cheap though.

The OEX on the same page looks decent, I've used them before, not as good as a thermarest.

Edited by Skip997
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2023 at 9:13 PM, Skip997 said:

I've got an OEX 3/4 and an OEX full size for sale if you're interested.

Hi sorry only just seen this, Looking at getting our own new gear to be honest

We've still not bought anything though 

On 1/15/2023 at 5:39 PM, Lycra said:

It can get quite cold at night, especially if the fest is not blessed with good hot weather. For comfort I would recommend a 3 season sleeping bag on an air bed or thick self inflating mattress, all upon an insulating foam camping mat. At 4cm thickness the berghaus mat must be teamed with a foam mat to give a degree of comfort. A 4cm thick self inflator is the entry level mat and thicker ones give more comfort. However with increasinf thickness comes increasing mat weight.

So what thickness would you recommend to save having to take a foam mat as well as a self inflating mat? 

Alpkit’s stuff is generally right at the sweet spot between affordability and technical performance.

A 2 season bag is fine and the airmat just whatever you can be arsed to carry. One of those waterproof picnic blankets underneath works as a really effective insulation layer.

Edited by Twiggy553
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 5:42 PM, Twiggy553 said:

Alpkit’s stuff is generally right at the sweet spot between affordability and technical performance.

A 2 season bag is fine and the airmat just whatever you can be arsed to carry. One of those waterproof picnic blankets underneath works as a really effective insulation layer.

Thanks! We’ve still not bought anything, Trying to chose stuff that’s good enough and that is light enough to take on the coach with us is proving slightly difficult 

so again, any recommendations for sleeping bags and mats then feel free to share 😁

Any of these will be fine good bags. (Although I would probably advise against the down one for festival useage)

https://alpkit.com/collections/sleeping-bags/season-rating_2-season

This is also a good bag at a good price:

https://www.nevisport.com/mountain-equipment-starlight-ii-regular-sleeping-bag?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2v-gBhC1ARIsAOQdKY3gNMvGqF37q6Bwflcjf15olVx8tDTftimsI37qCbWdjt1rlsHVH18aAroLEALw_wcB#color_code=Sodalite-Blue&size_legacy=L

For a sleep mat I’d probably get this one:

https://alpkit.com/products/cloud-base

as I say one of those waterproof picnic blankets underneath a sleeping mat is amazing for extra insulation and handy to have at a festival too.

(i.e. this sort of thing: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1998434?clickSR=slp:term:waterproof picnic blanket:1:29:1)

On 1/15/2023 at 5:39 PM, Lycra said:

Calling 4cm 'entry level' is strange to me (some of the most expensive ones are quite thin!) but I guess it depends what factors you base your choice on.

The bigger and thicker you go the bulkier it gets. I get on fine with mine that is a similar size - it keeps me off the ground which is the main thing. A foam matt is another bulky item (I usually have a rubber backed travel rug underneath to protect the groundsheet mostly, and adds a bit of extra insulation). I can fold the matt in half length ways, roll it up and it fits in the bottom pocket of my rucksack. Any bigger and that wouldn't be do-able

Edited by kerplunk

18 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Calling 4cm 'entry level' is strange to me (some of the most expensive ones are quite thin!) but I guess it depends what factors you base your choice on.

The bigger and thicker you go the bulkier it gets. I get on fine with mine that is a similar size - it keeps me off the ground which is the main thing. A foam matt is another bulky item (I usually have a rubber backed travel rug underneath to protect the groundsheet mostly, and adds a bit of extra insulation). I can fold the matt in half length ways, roll it up and it fits in the bottom pocket of my rucksack. Any bigger and that wouldn't be do-able

Entry level as in you don't want to go thinner

I have a vango 10cm SiM bought in go outdoors a few years ago. Probably a predecessor of this one: https://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/camping/sleeping/self-inflating-mats/vango/vango-shangri-la-ii-10-grande.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_YShBhAiEiwAMomsEGfbrwj3LdHiG4o2g7yalzterdK0rRo-gp6XMmxwk9hPrpO0TSORARoC3vAQAvD_BwE. I paid about £40 in the sale but worth every penny and more, very comfortable and easy to inflate/deflate. About 20cm diameter when in the bag but fairly light.