Roskilde 2023

mln

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

Are we expecting more artists to come? Like an announcement like last year in May, where they added more artists? Because as other people say, this feels a bit empty, specially Saturday, and some small names missing at Arena and Avalon on Wednesday and Friday. 

Usually a handful is added after the poster release. 
Let's see what happens this year. 

2 hours ago, davidoffescassi said:

the political booking. 

Who or what is a 'political booking'?

Fair enough if you don't like the lineup or it hasn't booked who you wanted; everyone has their own preferences! It works out great for me as its local (I live in CPH), finally get to tick Blur off my list and a bunch of smaller bands who haven't made it to Europe in ages or I have gotten into during Lockdown and this is the first time over. Plus its always a fantastic time with friends! And plenty of other festivals in Europe in 2023 now that festival scene is pretty much 'back'. 😄 

I do think they perhaps had a few bigger names that didn't land or drop out; such as Taylor pulling out of Europe 2023 (Glasto had her booked) and LDR being a bit flakey. And other bands like Depeche Mode, Bruce Springsteen, Aphex Twin, Florence and the Machine, 1975, RHCP, Arctic Monkeys etc choosing to do other festivals/own shows instead around the time instead. Lets see what 2024 has in store. 🙂 

Edited by FrogLobster

2 hours ago, majstoffe said:

Usually a handful is added after the poster release. 
Let's see what happens this year. 

Yeah, the problem is that last year before adding those artists they had less than 200 artists and then they added more in May.

This year they already have over 200 artists, so unless someone cancels I doubt they will add more. I hope I’m wrong.

Honestly, I'm struggling to find words. I don't really know what to say. I didn't have high hopes for today's lineup release. But this lineup? It's a disaster. A joke. What the hell happened? How did they build this lineup? How many "no thanks" did they get from artists who are touring during the same dates as Roskilde?
The feeling right now is that this might unfortunately be my last year at Roskilde, because this is just unworthy. 

35 minutes ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Honestly, I'm struggling to find words. I don't really know what to say. I didn't have high hopes for today's lineup release. But this lineup? It's a disaster. A joke. What the hell happened? How did they build this lineup? How many "no thanks" did they get from artists who are touring during the same dates as Roskilde?
The feeling right now is that this might unfortunately be my last year at Roskilde, because this is just unworthy. 

I feel the same, have the ticket for this edition but probably going to sell it to go to Primavera Sound, the headliners are similar but the undercard and small artists of Primavera are literally 10x better and more diverse.

But let’s not be so dramatic, I’m pretty sure that the 2024 edition of Roskilde will be much better, specially after this “failed” attempt of a lineup, that is getting criticised on all the social media of Roskilde. Also a lot of festivals in Europe, besides 2 or 3, are very average this year, I feel like there weren’t many artists touring this summer, probably one of the worst festival years in many years, so it doesn’t surprise me to see such an average lineup. Even Glastonbury lineup was very criticised.

For the ones attending the festival, hope you enjoy it, there are a lot of hidden gems in this lineup, stuff like Japanese Breakfast, Ethel Cain, Caroline Polachek, Denzel Curry, Code Orange, J.I.D. I saw Kendrick and Rosalia live last year and those were one of the best concerts in my life, that’s also the reason why I’m not going to attend Roskilde, because the artists I like the most I already saw them and from the new ones I’m only excited about a dozen of them. It’s too much money just to be excited for a dozen of artists out of 4 days.

Roskilde lived and will always live, it’s a beautiful festival, I have been going there for many years in a row since my first time in 2015. I think I need a break, and hope to return in 2024. I really hope they sell all the tickets this year so next year they can bring quality headliner names and a very good undercard. And I really hope that for 2024 edition they don’t wait until April to announce all the artists (saying this as a joke). 

1 hour ago, festivalguy97 said:

I feel the same, have the ticket for this edition but probably going to sell it to go to Primavera Sound, the headliners are similar but the undercard and small artists of Primavera are literally 10x better and more diverse.

But let’s not be so dramatic, I’m pretty sure that the 2024 edition of Roskilde will be much better, specially after this “failed” attempt of a lineup, that is getting criticised on all the social media of Roskilde. Also a lot of festivals in Europe, besides 2 or 3, are very average this year, I feel like there weren’t many artists touring this summer, probably one of the worst festival years in many years, so it doesn’t surprise me to see such an average lineup. Even Glastonbury lineup was very criticised.

For the ones attending the festival, hope you enjoy it, there are a lot of hidden gems in this lineup, stuff like Japanese Breakfast, Ethel Cain, Caroline Polachek, Denzel Curry, Code Orange, J.I.D. I saw Kendrick and Rosalia live last year and those were one of the best concerts in my life, that’s also the reason why I’m not going to attend Roskilde, because the artists I like the most I already saw them and from the new ones I’m only excited about a dozen of them. It’s too much money just to be excited for a dozen of artists out of 4 days.

Roskilde lived and will always live, it’s a beautiful festival, I have been going there for many years in a row since my first time in 2015. I think I need a break, and hope to return in 2024. I really hope they sell all the tickets this year so next year they can bring quality headliner names and a very good undercard. And I really hope that for 2024 edition they don’t wait until April to announce all the artists (saying this as a joke). 

Yes, that's how it is. I am very aware that most festivals in Europe, with the exception of 2-3, have extremely weak lineups this year. That being said, I still think Roskilde could have done much better. A lot better. It may have failed for other reasons that I, of course, do not know about. Logistical problems, budget allocation, and so on. What do I know? I can't imagine in my wildest dreams that this lineup was their goal when they started planning the lineup for this year's festival. It must have gone very wrong on the way here. They can't seriously be satisfied with the outcome of this lineup. But due to many different reasons, they have had to compromise a lot with themselves and have been forced to book this to get anything at all.

I am surprised by my reaction to all of this since I have never gone to Roskilde because of their lineup. But I am genuinely very angry about it. It will surely calm down in a couple of days. I know I'll have fun once I'm there. I always have.

Edited by UnBiloTitled

3 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

I am surprised by my reaction to all of this since I have never gone to Roskilde because of their lineup. But I am genuinely very angry about it. It will surely calm down in a couple of days. I know I'll have fun once I'm there. I always have.

Its a bit melodramatic to be very angry about the lineup to a music festival you have never been to before(!). No one is forcing you to go; just sell your ticket if its not your cup of tea and move on to other things that don't make you so raging for days. 😅

57 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Its a bit melodramatic to be very angry about the lineup to a music festival you have never been to before(!). No one is forcing you to go; just sell your ticket if its not your cup of tea and move on to other things that don't make you so raging for days. 😅

Dude it's a 320euro festival without a Glastonbury level lineup. It's also a fest that previously has had great lineups so there's a level of expectation.

I'd be pissed. 

23 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

Dude it's a 320euro festival without a Glastonbury level lineup. It's also a fest that previously has had great lineups so there's a level of expectation.

I'd be pissed. 

Eh, its just confusing to me when people get so angry over who is booked and who isn't. Is it really worth the rage? Buying a ticket before the lineup drops is always going to be a risk. Just sell the ticket and go to a different festival?

Edited by FrogLobster

49 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Eh, its just confusing to me when people get so angry over who is booked and who isn't. Is it really worth the rage? Buying a ticket before the lineup drops is always going to be a risk. Just sell the ticket and go to a different festival?

Not always easy to sell tickets without making a loss. Could have also booked flights/travel and other things already too. Besides, if someone was excited about it and then is let down, I think it's pretty normal to be annoyed and disappointed.

"if you don't like it dont go" is such a shill thing to say lol

Edited by Enkidu

9 hours ago, FrogLobster said:

I understand your perspective. But this will be my 9th year at Roskilde. So I would like to say that I know what I'm talking about. I have experienced Roskilde when they have had extremely good lineups, and that's exactly what you hope they will return to every year.
You live on the hope that they will book good acts, every year. With that said, I still don't go to Roskilde because of a good lineup or not. I go there regardless. But I want, and hope, every year that the lineup will be as good as possible.
The fact that the lineup is so weak this year cannot be avoided. It will be a year with very, very many hours in the camp instead, I don't mind.
We are a group of 10-15 people who usually go every year, regardless of the lineup, and we have 2-3 people this year who are satisfied with the lineup. The rest of us think just like me, that it's really weak and a bit embarrassing for a festival of Roskilde's caliber.

6 minutes ago, UnBiloTitled said:

I understand your perspective. But this will be my 9th year at Roskilde. So I would like to say that I know what I'm talking about. I have experienced Roskilde when they have had extremely good lineups, and that's exactly what you hope they will return to every year.
You live on the hope that they will book good acts, every year. With that said, I still don't go to Roskilde because of a good lineup or not. I go there regardless. But I want, and hope, every year that the lineup will be as good as possible.
The fact that the lineup is so weak this year cannot be avoided. It will be a year with very, very many hours in the camp instead, I don't mind.
We are a group of 10-15 people who usually go every year, regardless of the lineup, and we have 2-3 people this year who are satisfied with the lineup. The rest of us think just like me, that it's really weak and a bit embarrassing for a festival of Roskilde's caliber.

Aren’t most of the lineups this year weak and disappointing?

14 minutes ago, Newjem said:

Aren’t most of the lineups this year weak and disappointing?

Yes, they are, and that's something I mentioned earlier.
But the fact remains: Roskilde could have put together a much better lineup.
The feeling with Roskilde, even in previous years, is that they choose not to book certain bands and artists because they're not "cool and hip enoguh". They don't want to dirty their poster with the "wrong type of bands" in some way.
They just want the poster to be fresh and clean.

33 minutes ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Ah, I apologise; I read your original post as you had never gone before!

All this is fair and understandable. I agree its not anywhere near as strong as previous years. I think I have just lucked out that there is enough acts scattered through that its worth it for me personally. I hope next year things bounce back better!

37 minutes ago, UnBiloTitled said:

Have the same problem, managed to conviver a big group of people to come with me to Roskilde this and now most of them dropped out because they don’t want to pay so much, or prefer to pay less and go to another festival like Rock Werchter and Opener that is cheaper and more consistent.

It’s true that it’s just a festival, so raging about doesn’t bring anything. But I really believe that Roskilde team reads the forums here and there to see what people think about the lineups. The booker do Primavera Sound said some years ago that he knows about this site and he sometimes reads the predictions and the comments. So that’s something, I hope they are reading this year and know that most people are not satisfied.

And here we’re keeping respectful, try to read the comments on Facebook, Twitter and specially of Instagram from Roskilde. People are raging there, Roskilde team is literally deleting comments from people complaining about the lineup. 

I live in Copenhagen, so I don’t mind not going this year, but for someone that comes from overseas for many years, and used to have good lineups (in most cases) it’s a disappointment, I feel bad for those people. That’s why I hope that Roskilde is sold out so me and many others are able to sell our tickets for the original price. 

18 minutes ago, FrogLobster said:

Ah, I apologise; I read your original post as you had never gone before!

All this is fair and understandable. I agree its not anywhere near as strong as previous years. I think I have just lucked out that there is enough acts scattered through that its worth it for me personally. I hope next year things bounce back better!

No problem mate! Maybe I was a bit unclear too.
Have you managed to find some acts? Share with me! I would also like to discover some new ones, but haven't had any luck yet, unfortunately haha.
The only one I have that I really really want to see is Blur. They have been on my bucket list for like 15 years or so.

9 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Have the same problem, managed to conviver a big group of people to come with me to Roskilde this and now most of them dropped out because they don’t want to pay so much, or prefer to pay less and go to another festival like Rock Werchter and Opener that is cheaper and more consistent.

It’s true that it’s just a festival, so raging about doesn’t bring anything. But I really believe that Roskilde team reads the forums here and there to see what people think about the lineups. The booker do Primavera Sound said some years ago that he knows about this site and he sometimes reads the predictions and the comments. So that’s something, I hope they are reading this year and know that most people are not satisfied.

And here we’re keeping respectful, try to read the comments on Facebook, Twitter and specially of Instagram from Roskilde. People are raging there, Roskilde team is literally deleting comments from people complaining about the lineup. 

I live in Copenhagen, so I don’t mind not going this year, but for someone that comes from overseas for many years, and used to have good lineups (in most cases) it’s a disappointment, I feel bad for those people. That’s why I hope that Roskilde is sold out so me and many others are able to sell our tickets for the original price. 

Haha, I'm in a similar boat as you, and it's really sad. We have some people considering dropping out and skipping the festival this year. But I'll try to convince them to go anyway. We have so much fun when we're there. I just have to remind them of that.

But I also understand completely why people choose to throw in the towel and go to a cheaper festival with a better lineup if they're only there for the music. It's more value for your money. I wouldn't blame anyone for making that decision.

I also hope that the Roskilde people read the forums and place more value on the discussions there than the extremely negative and mocking posts people write on social media.
I know I've been extremely negative in here too, but I still think we've had a good and civilized discussion in a mature way.

Yes exactly! And just to give a small example, for us Swedes, Roskilde is extremely expensive because the Danish krone is so much stronger than the Swedish krona. That obviously makes it sting a little extra. To pay so much and not really get the value you want. 
So yes, of course we should keep our fingers crossed that it sells out so that they can come back with, hopefully, a better lineup next year haha!

2 hours ago, UnBiloTitled said:

No problem mate! Maybe I was a bit unclear too.
Have you managed to find some acts? Share with me! I would also like to discover some new ones, but haven't had any luck yet, unfortunately haha.
The only one I have that I really really want to see is Blur. They have been on my bucket list for like 15 years or so.

Haha, I'm in a similar boat as you, and it's really sad. We have some people considering dropping out and skipping the festival this year. But I'll try to convince them to go anyway. We have so much fun when we're there. I just have to remind them of that.

But I also understand completely why people choose to throw in the towel and go to a cheaper festival with a better lineup if they're only there for the music. It's more value for your money. I wouldn't blame anyone for making that decision.

I also hope that the Roskilde people read the forums and place more value on the discussions there than the extremely negative and mocking posts people write on social media.
I know I've been extremely negative in here too, but I still think we've had a good and civilized discussion in a mature way.

Yes exactly! And just to give a small example, for us Swedes, Roskilde is extremely expensive because the Danish krone is so much stronger than the Swedish krona. That obviously makes it sting a little extra. To pay so much and not really get the value you want. 
So yes, of course we should keep our fingers crossed that it sells out so that they can come back with, hopefully, a better lineup next year haha!

True, I would say Ope’ner festival in Poland, although it’s a bit smaller than Roskilde and has many pop artists that I really don’t like (OneRepublic, Machine Gun Kelly) has a very line up this year, the headliners are quite similar and then there are some very good smaller names like Thundercat. It’s much cheaper, and Poland is a very fun place because it’s very nice and cheap, so for people that want to skip Roskilde this year, it’s a good option to see similar artists but for cheaper. But I know people that go to Roskilde regardless of the lineup, so I’m happy for them, this year has some good artists here or there, if you plan it good you can still have a lot of fun. And I’m pretty sure the 2024 will be amazing, I’m not gonna do the mistake again of buying the pass before the first 2 announcements of artists, but I’m pretty sure there will be a lot of artists touring around, and in general the festival in pair years like 2016, 2018, 2020 (cancelled) 2022 were better. 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:32 PM, festivalguy97 said:

SZA and Pinkpantheress going to Opener festival in Poland the same days as Roskilde, don’t understand why they are not coming to Roskilde. 

Probably not available/travel plans didn't line up/no slot for them thats open/too costly? Pick one or more. 😁

On 4/7/2023 at 1:26 PM, FrogLobster said:

Probably not available/travel plans didn't line up/no slot for them thats open/too costly? Pick one or more. 😁

She just announced a tour in Europe with some noticeable gap at the end of June, and she’s doing Ope’ner festival so she could be added to the lineup. Only having Lizzo on Saturday seems a bit empty, nothing against Lizzo but that day is very weak compared with other closing days of previous years.