Mobility Problem

Shariken

Hello. Look time reader, but looking for help. My pal is coming this year for her first ever visit. However she has ripped her tendon in her leg. She has reached out to the festival for guidance. But all mobility issue cut off was end of April. She is on crutches and a moon boot. She is broken hearted, so I wondered if this community could offer any tips/advice.

Seen plenty of people at Glasto on crutches.  Take a chair and take it easy.  Ultimately depends if your mate is up for the additional struggle (will she be able to have positive mindset)?  Also, her friends will have to be prepare to lug all her stuff and carry drinks, etc, for her. Are you that good a friend? 🤔

If it's due to be a muddy one though it'll be very very hard.  Not sure if i personally would do a muddy year on crutches, might be a limp too far.

Not quite the same level of mobility issue but I went in 2019 with a broken collarbone. Stayed around the fringes and avoided large crowds and was fine (apart from the odd drunk moron asking me what I did then proceeding to hug me and bang into it!). 

Leg injury is a different ball game though. As others have said, I've seen people on crutches and as long as she has friends to look after her I'm sure she will be fine but it will be a case of pick a stage and stay there most of the day. If it's a muddy one then it will be inherently more difficult. Hopefully she finds a solution and doesn't miss out!

Edited by Dave_c

If it's any reassurance, I bumped into a lad I know in 2016 who lost his leg to an IED strike in Afghanistan. I met him on the Sunday and he was a positive as anyone else I had met all weekend in tough ground conditions.

Cut cloth cloth accordingly and when plotted up somewhere, get the mates to do the fetching and carrying

35 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

If it's any reassurance, I bumped into a lad I know in 2016 who lost his leg to an IED strike in Afghanistan. I met him on the Sunday and he was a positive as anyone else I had met all weekend in tough ground conditions.

Cut cloth cloth accordingly and when plotted up somewhere, get the mates to do the fetching and carrying

To be fair I'm guessing a muddy festival  is child’s play compared to everything else he has been through both before and after he lost his leg. I know a guy with severe mobility issues after being shot in the back during a live firing exercise in Canada, he is the most positive guy I know, he says he is just glad to be alive, it was very touch and go for him and he has been through a lot of shit, now he can just get on with his life.

Hello everyone. Rest assured she is very mindful that although horrible it is not permanent. They have booked the glamping, so that is helping a bit. She asked if there was any chance of a pass that allowed a short cut between stages. But there is apparently nothing that can be done if your disability occurred after the cut off date. I know they are looking at a wheel chair, but if its muddy😬😬

4 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I was there in 2016 and wow, massive credit to that lad. That is why the festival is so special. 

4 hours ago, Glast0baby said:

Seen plenty of people at Glasto on crutches.  Take a chair and take it easy.  Ultimately depends if your mate is up for the additional struggle (will she be able to have positive mindset)?  Also, her friends will have to be prepare to lug all her stuff and carry drinks, etc, for her. Are you that good a friend? 🤔

If it's due to be a muddy one though it'll be very very hard.  Not sure if i personally would do a muddy year on crutches, might be a limp too far.

She is going with her fella, not camping with us. Guess it all depends on the ground condition. Crutches on 2016 conditions 😬😬😬

30 minutes ago, Shariken said:

I was there in 2016 and wow, massive credit to that lad. That is why the festival is so special. 

You probably won't be surprised to hear as ex mil to ex mil my opening line was " the lengths some folk go to for guaranteed ticket access". 

Mad moment seeing him there with his wife. Tears shed. 

My mum came to her 1st ever festival aged 63 in 2011. She broke her leg about 6 weeks before the festival, so she was slightly weight-bearing on crutches.  My advice, take it easy, stick to the main walkways, light up the crutches at night, and have someone walk infront of her to deflect on coming people.  2011 was a mudbath, and Mum did ok generally but it was hard work.  

13 hours ago, bexj said:

My mum came to her 1st ever festival aged 63 in 2011. She broke her leg about 6 weeks before the festival, so she was slightly weight-bearing on crutches.  My advice, take it easy, stick to the main walkways, light up the crutches at night, and have someone walk infront of her to deflect on coming people.  2011 was a mudbath, and Mum did ok generally but it was hard work.  

Your mum sounds brilliant. Really good tip about the lights as well. Thank you. 😁