WIFI / 3/4/5G in car parking fields...

Perks

Alright dudes, i have to work the Wednesday of the festival, me pal is coming down in his van on the Tuesday night and i'm tempted to go with, and work from his van on the Wed.. save me making my own way after work. I;ll be done by 3 and the thought of being at the festival and straight on it is way tooo good. rather than grabbing at 4pm coach from B'ham.

He'll be parked in the west car park. not campervan, so does anyone have an idea what wifi / 3G etc is like there? i'd bring a dongle and would only be using emails / teams calls etc.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

33 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

All providers have good 4G coverage in that area. There is no 5G at all. 

EE did have 5G at the festival last time out (and lots of advertising touting the fact) - although probably only about 20 people had 5G phones at that point so I wouldn't expect the signal quality then to be any indication of what happens this year.

Cheers guys

think 4G would do me sound. might look at dongles then. Really think its worth giving it a go, be so damn sweet to be there when i finish work.

11 minutes ago, Perks said:

Cheers guys

think 4G would do me sound. might look at dongles then. Really think its worth giving it a go, be so damn sweet to be there when i finish work.

Bet you get absolutely jack done in the last hour though 😂

25 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Bet you get absolutely jack done in the last hour though 😂

haha, I know right, i'd get nothing done all day, just be looking out the van window and cars!!

An alternative option (or a backup plan, if once you get there the signal isn't good enough) could be to get the first shuttle bus to Glastonbury Town, and find a coffee shop or similar to work from. There's certainly worse places to do business and it may be more comfortable than sat in a van?

1 minute ago, incident said:

An alternative option (or a backup plan, if once you get there the signal isn't good enough) could be to get the first shuttle bus to Glastonbury Town, and find a coffee shop or similar to work from. There's certainly worse places to do business and it may be more comfortable than sat in a van?

I was about to suggest the same thing! 🙂 

2 hours ago, incident said:

Ah yeah, never thought of that, mmm, that could work, i'll look into it. Thanks dude

6 hours ago, Perks said:

Alright dudes, i have to work the Wednesday of the festival, me pal is coming down in his van on the Tuesday night and i'm tempted to go with, and work from his van on the Wed.. save me making my own way after work. I;ll be done by 3 and the thought of being at the festival and straight on it is way tooo good. rather than grabbing at 4pm coach from B'ham.

He'll be parked in the west car park. not campervan, so does anyone have an idea what wifi / 3G etc is like there? i'd bring a dongle and would only be using emails / teams calls etc.

Thanks for any help

Cheers

the problem you'll have being in West car park is that you're out of range of the main site tower and will be on whatever other nearest one is. And so will everyone else in West camper and the car parks, so you'll get 'full bars' but throughput will be miserable.

This has been the case for years. I have tried all sorts - 4g router with proper external antennas, massive flag pole with a 4g dongle at the top, nothing makes it any faster.

So dropping into town would be the best bet like others have said.

38 minutes ago, paulshane said:

the problem you'll have being in West car park is that you're out of range of the main site tower and will be on whatever other nearest one is. And so will everyone else in West camper and the car parks, so you'll get 'full bars' but throughput will be miserable.

This has been the case for years. I have tried all sorts - 4g router with proper external antennas, massive flag pole with a 4g dongle at the top, nothing makes it any faster.

So dropping into town would be the best bet like others have said.

Cheers, that's really good to know, will defo have to go off site then.

Thanks everyone