Taking children out of school

Melm00

12 minutes ago, Miathedog said:

This is a question I have wrestled with for years. Been taking our son all his life and yet to watch an in-tent band with him, apart from Bootleg Beatles. He’s preteen now so wondering if we might try it this year. But we usually always head to pyramid for headliners as near home (Cockmill) and easy exit etc. but with this year’s rumoured headliners really not appealing at all (except Stevie) wondering what we’ll do this time … we have a small stand-on box thing in the kitchen for reaching cupboards, maybe that might help!

Get him on your shoulders. With pyro.

54 minutes ago, snailcheeks said:

Another question - has anyone taken their kids into the music tent areas like Woodsies etc? I can't think of a standing spot in the tents that would suit the little ones unless they can sit on the railing right at the back of the tent? (My son is 10 so not the smallest of kids to take.) For Park stage I think you could find a slope for example. Just thinking I can imagine a few of the bands I want to see being in the tents. Other stage you could probably just stand quite far back or might be more sparse depending on who is playing at the Pyramid. Cheers 

Well, I've got an Irresponsible Parent story or three to tell on that regards...

Quite a few festivals back, when it was just me and my eldest going, maybe 2015 or 2016 (so he would have been 6 or 7...), I did take him to watch Explosions In The Sky in John Peel, and we went right to the front. I mean, literally the front, he was sitting on the barrier thoroughly enjoying getting absolutely blasted by some instrumental post-rock.

Did the same for James when they opened Other Stage in 2016, went right to the front and stood him on the barrier for some of it and sat on my shoulders for the rest (he made the BBC coverage lol).

Radiohead in 2017, we didn't go right to the front but went to the back of the first speaker stack, parallel to the mixing desk tent, and I stood him on the barrier for most of that, he had a great view and the sound was *fantastic*. 

Finally, McCartney a couple of years ago, had both the boys with me at that and we mosied on up to the front of the barrier at the mixing tent and they sat on that for a lot of it. Got quite a few sh*tty looks when we walked in off of the chairs and blanket boomers that'd been camped out there all day, but who cares about that, eh? Sod 'em!

So, moral of the story is, you can get the kids in near the front if you're prepared to be a bit fly with the parenting standards and not worry too much about the crowds or the noise. Other than the old goats at the McCartney set, I've never felt anything other than positive vibes from those around us.

Most of the time, though, when we've gone to watch bands we've done the sensible thing and gone up the hill at the Pyramid or at the back at Other, or off to the side at Acoustic, etc. There's sweet spots at all the arenas where you're far enough away from the action to be completely safe but close enough to see, hear and feel it still. If your kid's pretty confident, I'd say go and get stuck in. 🙂

• Like 2