news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As a resident of Wales who takes a keen interest in politics the 'attempt to stop people using cars' is yet another falsehood they are using to try and make people hate the government here.

The local MP, Tory, says it will ruin tourism as people will not be prepared to drive that slowly......................... I mean, desperate stuff.

My mum lives on Anglesey. She's f**king obsessed with it. Swear she mentions it everyone we talk. Doesn't matter what we are talking about she'll shoehorn it in somehow.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

The default 20mph speed limit will come into effect across all Local Authorities in Wales, and will result in most of the current 30mph roads being reduced to 20mph to improve road safety. Welsh Government has emphasised this is not a blanket change for all roads – rather, as a general rule, it will apply where street lighting is in place, unless signs are indicating a different speed limit.

If they try this it won't be enforceable, we have a UK wide highway code which governs road users and provides for signage if a road is to be governed by a speed limit.

"Remember that in areas of street lighting (other than on
motorways) a 30 mph limit applies unless another limit is
specifically signed"

So they are going to have to spend an absolute fortune on new 20mph signs if they want to bring this in.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

If they try this it won't be enforceable, we have a UK wide highway code which governs road users and provides for signage if a road is to be governed by a speed limit.

specifically signed"

So they are going to have to spend an absolute fortune on new 20mph signs if they want to bring this in.

Easy to enforce with a few well positioned speed cameras.

Starmer is off to France this week to try and look like a statesman, reckon he might get a bit snubbed. And do the opposite of his aim .

8 hours ago, Neil said:

Easy to enforce with a few well positioned speed cameras.

Starmer is off to France this week to try and look like a statesman, reckon he might get a bit snubbed. And do the opposite of his aim .

It’s going round today that he’ll rewrite the Brexit deal. Brave move to make that announcement with how attached a certain section of the electorate are to that whole fiasco.

Manchester did the 20mph thing a few years ago after trialing it in some areas. Main roads are still 30+, all smaller and side roads now 20mph. They have signs everywhere, entering 20mph zones etc. Doesn't seem enforced, lots of people go over 20mph. Like Ozanne says it does feel very slow, like may as well get out and walk, but survival rate is so much higher if get hit at 20mph rather than 30. They do have a lot of speed bumps on residential roads that slow people down.

10 hours ago, gizmoman said:

specifically signed"

I would be pretty sure that the law passed in the Senedd is totally enforceable without the need for signs everywhere. They had legal advise before the bill passed.

2 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

It’s going round today that he’ll rewrite the Brexit deal. Brave move to make that announcement with how attached a certain section of the electorate are to that whole fiasco.

Pasrts of the deal are set for review in 2025, it is in the deal. Those are the parts they will review............. as will whoever is in power.

It all depends how the media want to spin something that will happen regardless and is part of the deal.

That is the same media some of whom have decided to use Brand to attack the 'left'!!

14 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Pasrts of the deal are set for review in 2025, it is in the deal. Those are the parts they will review............. as will whoever is in power.

It all depends how the media want to spin something that will happen regardless and is part of the deal.

That is the same media some of whom have decided to use Brand to attack the 'left'!!

He's talking about rewrite, not just review...so change the deal. Of course takes two sides and EU might tell him to f**k off.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

He's talking about rewrite, not just review...so change the deal. Of course takes two sides and EU might tell him to f**k off.

Reviews lead to rewrites. It is quite simple. Both sides will likely want changes and that would be the same if the Tories win too.

Lots of hot air about bugger all.

29 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I would be pretty sure that the law passed in the Senedd is totally enforceable without the need for signs everywhere. They had legal advise before the bill passed.

The same advice they had for the illegal signs for Ulez in London? We won't know if it's enforceable until someone challenges it in court, other 20mph zones in Britain have signs, I can't see how this can be legal as it stands.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/28/ulez-signs-could-be-unlawful-tribunal-ruling-london/

8 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Reviews lead to rewrites. It is quite simple. Both sides will likely want changes and that would be the same if the Tories win too.

maybe...but labour/starmer obviously more rejoiny...and if they're serious about growth then would likely be in the single market but don't tell anyone we're in the single market...

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The same advice they had for the illegal signs for Ulez in London? We won't know if it's enforceable until someone challenges it in court, other 20mph zones in Britain have signs, I can't see how this can be legal as it stands.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/28/ulez-signs-could-be-unlawful-tribunal-ruling-london/

Given the choice of a forum user giving me a link to a Torygraph article about ULEZ or the statement of the legal advisors to the Welsh Government I know ho will believe.

By all means, pop over to Wales and try it out see how fast you can get away with.

Please read this with all due sarcasm

16 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Given the choice of a forum user giving me a link to a Torygraph article about ULEZ or the statement of the legal advisors to the Welsh Government I know ho will believe.

By all means, pop over to Wales and try it out see how fast you can get away with.

Please read this with all due sarcasm

I've actually had experience driving in some of Wales 20 mph zones,, the fact is, much of the time you wouldn't be able to go over 20mph due to the congestion so I doubt there will be many prosecutions, it is pretty much a self regulating limit. During the day at least.

53 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

the rewrite won't be anything like membership or rejoining.

34 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I've actually had experience driving in some of Wales 20 mph zones,, the fact is, much of the time you wouldn't be able to go over 20mph due to the congestion so I doubt there will be many prosecutions, it is pretty much a self regulating limit. During the day at least.

Yep - and yet so much annoyance and fuss being made about it!!

If only that passion was out into other things, like tackling climate change, maybe the human race could better itself!

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The sage Liz Truss is back to offer her advice.

Maybe she could offer us all refund on the money she cost us.

She is only doing it as she has a book to release in April and is doing a slow build to it's release. She only cares about herself.