Space Saving Conundrum

Sasperella

57 minutes ago, incident said:

This - or depending on how the construction works, rather than take the whole uber-tent, just take the flysheet & poles - ie the shell of it. Let the others bring the sleeping compartments, groundsheet etc later.

For someone looking for somewhere to pitch, there's no difference between a fully set up tent and one that only has the outermost layer.

This is the best option, not too much weight and no-one has a clue that it's not fully set up (also have a nice image of a tent thief opening it up and finding an empty shell).

Just take in your basics for one day and get the late arrivers to bring in the rest of your stuff to compensate you taking in the tent.

Nothing worse than struggling to find a space after travelling, queing, crossing the site, finally spotting one only for some herbert to appear and say "Oh, we're saving that space".

7 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

This is the best option, not too much weight and no-one has a clue that it's not fully set up (also have a nice image of a tent thief opening it up and finding an empty shell).

Just take in your basics for one day and get the late arrivers to bring in the rest of your stuff to compensate you taking in the tent.

Nothing worse than struggling to find a space after travelling, queing, crossing the site, finally spotting one only for some herbert to appear and say "Oh, we're saving that space".

And I definitely don't want to be thought of as a herbert! 

6 minutes ago, I am Jon said:

Could try setting up camp near the fence in Pylon, normally less busy that side and can make use of the fence to help 'tape off' the space you need.

Good idea! 

I think the a smaller tent is now coming on weds, plus maybe a spare one we can take down. I think if we strategically position those in a good quiet part of pylon, and potentially put our groundsheet infront of our tent, we might be ok. And in a hopefully un-herbert like fashion :)

20 minutes ago, dazednconfused said:

I'd just bring the tents on Wednesday and get the Thursday crew to carry something else in exchange. We always send first arrivals with tents

Yeh, this would be the best option. Unfortunately, there are a few complications. The main ones being, the ubertent is v heavy - potentially needing two people to carry - and we're mostly coming by coach (with one cycling) and also all on diff coaches. I'm also coming from Sheffield, and everyone else from Oxford/London. Mega tent in London also, but to big for a bicycle, and the only other person arriving on wednesday is coming from Hong Kong and flying out of Cornwall so needs to bring all 6-weeks worth of luggage with her, which makes carrying the uber tent difficult (not to mention other potentially difficult security check issues!). One may ask why everyone doesn't bring their own small tent... 

However, i think bringing little tents to save uber space is a good option, and camping near fence also :) I definitely feel less stressed after all the advice!

I'm in a similar situation. The party is arriving at 3 different times but all arriving on the Wednesday, the original plan was for the people by car to arrive with the bulk of the tents and those arriving by coach will be able to squeeze in their smaller tents in spaces remaining. 

Now with the extra security meaning an unknown amount of queuing for trolleys, those of us coming by coach may arrive first. 

We were originally thinking Oxlyers or Park Home for camping but currently rethinking this due to the unknown arrival times. 

Any advice on where to camp based on a Wednesday afternoon arrival?

As for the space saving conundrum, is this an acceptable arrangement? 

If you have a two part tent with separate flysheet and inner, could you pitch them separately and then place the guy ropes at the maximum length you can. Once the others in your group arrive you can then re-pitch the tents closer together in the space created. Just have to hope it doesn't rain!

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'm in a similar situation. The party is arriving at 3 different times but all arriving on the Wednesday, the original plan was for the people by car to arrive with the bulk of the tents and those arriving by coach will be able to squeeze in their smaller tents in spaces remaining. 

Now with the extra security meaning an unknown amount of queuing for trolleys, those of us coming by coach may arrive first. 

We were originally thinking Oxlyers or Park Home for camping but currently rethinking this due to the unknown arrival times. 

Any advice on where to camp based on a Wednesday afternoon arrival?

Ask any of the campsite stewards when you arrive, they usually have big maps of the campsites and mark off the ones that are full. They keep in touch via walky talky so will have the most up to date info on available spaces.

Saving space for someone arriving the same day is easily doable, overnight is much more of a problem.