Journey to Glasto

Caveyh

Just now, kalifire said:

I'm sorry if I came across as pissy. Wasn't my intention. And I fully respect that it didn't work for you. I guess I got a bit defensive because as far as I'm concerned, the place is incredible. I should remember it's perfectly fine that others don't agree.

I don't disagree that it is an incredible place, I have been to a lot of festivals and it is the 2nd best weekend i have had at a festival. It is only 2nd to the first ever time i went to a festival and experienced live music like that, and that moment will never be topped. I would like to be there again this year but at the same time i am also not massively disappointed i'm not going

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We were staying in a Caravan that was already there in the field but still had to queue for 12 hours on Wednesday, then they shut the gate at night fall so we had to drive to the nearest car park, walk all the way through the site to CV east. Then first thing in the morning I had to walk back through the site to the car, drove it back round and sat in the queue for another 5 hours before finally making it. I would have loved to have taken a short cut but wouldn't have had a clue where to start, and as we had to go through the gate to get into CV east, I'm not sure how many short cut options there are?

14 minutes ago, Caveyh said:

I don't disagree that it is an incredible place, I have been to a lot of festivals and it is the 2nd best weekend i have had at a festival. It is only 2nd to the first ever time i went to a festival and experienced live music like that, and that moment will never be topped. I would like to be there again this year but at the same time i am also not massively disappointed i'm not going

2nd isn't too bad - it was a rough / tough year last year.  I felt a lot of the time that the fact it's massive and there's so much going on was wasted on me because I was mostly too knackered to venture as far as I'd like.  That said, I've been when walking is easier, and it's an amazing festival - I hope you get to see it again, sounds like you live your life in a fairly 'glasto-spirit' kinda way anyway.

Re. the road usage - as people have said, last year really was a one-off for how it's been post-2009.  One reason was lack of tracks which were stuck in download fest, and with the state of the ground a lot of larger vehicles needing to be towed on and lots of fields that would normally take traffic being write-offs.  Hopefully the weather isn't as catastrophic again, and even if it is I think they've taken steps to improve access at a number of points e.g. putting down permanent hard surface at some of the key points, so their not reliant on availability of temporary tracks.  Even if the weather repeats, things hopefully won't ever be as bad again (fingers crossed)

1 minute ago, p.pete said:

2nd isn't too bad - it was a rough / tough year last year.  I felt a lot of the time that the fact it's massive and there's so much going on was wasted on me because I was mostly too knackered to venture as far as I'd like.  That said, I've been when walking is easier, and it's an amazing festival - I hope you get to see it again, sounds like you live your life in a fairly 'glasto-spirit' kinda way anyway.

Re. the road usage - as people have said, last year really was a one-off for how it's been post-2009.  One reason was lack of tracks which were stuck in download fest, and with the state of the ground a lot of larger vehicles needing to be towed on and lots of fields that would normally take traffic being write-offs.  Hopefully the weather isn't as catastrophic again, and even if it is I think they've taken steps to improve access at a number of points e.g. putting down permanent hard surface at some of the key points, so their not reliant on availability of temporary tracks.  Even if the weather repeats, things hopefully won't ever be as bad again (fingers crossed)

Yeah it did feel like last year it was too big for its own good. I hope i can go again but getting a ticket works so weird.

Is it just me or there something of the troll about this fella.

• Posts on the Glastonbury forum 2 weeks before it starts, gloating about how he found it easy getting in last year. Even though he's not going this year as he wasn't interested (but interested enough to post on the festivals forum).
  • Posts about how he couldn't give a shit about the locals (even though most people know the locals could close the festival down if they wanted to).
  • Tells us that Glastonbury is overrated, too commercial and too big for it's own good.
  • Tells us that he decided not to go and is going to Reading (yes that's right Reading) instead.
  • and ...... only started posting in the Glastonbury festival forum 5 hours ago, prior to that only Reading festival forum activity. 

Come on folks, don't feed em it only encourages them.

We were in a big traffic jam and someone up ahead done a U turn and started directing people to follow him. We took the chance, and ended up down the country lanes and right into a car park in no time. Not all heros wear capes, some drive silver cars....

21 minutes ago, SG87 said:

We were in a big traffic jam and someone up ahead done a U turn and started directing people to follow him. We took the chance, and ended up down the country lanes and right into a car park in no time. Not all heros wear capes, some drive silver cars....

Same for us last year. First, a woman walked over to our car and told us she was local. Directed us down some country lanes etc so we followed the advice and ended up much closer to the festival. Then once stuck in another queue, a woman driving in the opposite direction to the festival shouted out of her window to follow this road and that. Took the advice and drove directly there, ended up in about a ten minute jam to get in! Gotta love that local knowledge! Also have love for the church that let everyone stuck in the jams to use their toilets and gave out bottles of water and cups of tea - wonderful people!

we also went onto small little country roads when we eventually came to traffic on the main road. we were in the carpark less than an hour after leaving near Weston-super-Mare.

none of the roads we went on were closed or had any kind of "local access only" signs, so I don't really see any issue in using them.