Don't vote Tory

dimus

To answer a bit of your question re: why I thought the EU is failing.

Predominantly they are not protecting the borders at all giving rise to even more future attacks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this 

I really don't want to be in a position where we are told to take in refugees on the scale that Angela Merkel did and what a catastrophic decision that was 

I'll come back later to offer some more.....off to unpack animal feed now after tea break 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why are you so sure the funds can't be raised simply by altering the balance of taxation so the top 5% pay more? Have you costed it out?

I don't think that would raise enough on it's own. As far as I can tell from their manifesto, Labour are planning to generate the extra income to fund their policies by raising personal taxation for the most wealthy and increasing Corporation tax (by 7% I think).  What they haven't considered/aren't telling us is  -

1. The most wealthy are best placed to implement tax avoidance schemes which will reduce income from that source.

2. The effect Brexit have on company profits. If it's the unmitigated disaster most people (not all) on here think it will be, the British economy will contract, company profits will fall and so will the income from Corporation tax.

If the costed income isn't coming in, what will Corbyn & Co do - abandon some of their policies or put up taxes for the rest of us (which usually happens with a Labour government anyway and which is fine by me). 

Edited by Ommadawn

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

who are you to tell him to stop posting? I'd much rather read his heartfelt ramblings than a single spiteful, hate-filled word from a Tory.

This election is a matter of life and death for thousands of people. It is absolutely sickening to see a vile Tory making jokes about the current situation, and on a Glastonbury forum of all places

Yes everyone is welcome at Glastonbury, but know that your political stance goes against everything the festival stands for and that you will be just a tourist and will never be a part of what makes the festival great.

And this is just my personal opinion: I sincerely hope you realise the festival is not the place for your sort and you never return.

Disgusting attitude. 

Sadly par for the course with this poster.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

In the last 3 months, the tories have added 200,000 full time jobs to the economy, with around 70,000 of those 'new' jobs being an upgrade from part time to full time.

There's lots to knock about the tories, but the fact of almost full employment and the type of employment improving is not one of them, particularly when the rest of Europe has some horrendous unemployment that might have been the UK too.

There's worse things that poorly paid jobs - like no jobs.

Nail.  Head.

Far too many think that it's possible to wave a magic wand and "solve" all the problems. 

"Let's tax the richest 5% that should do it".  If it were that easy don't you think EVERY country would be doing it?  After all if only 1 out of 20 people were affected, then 19 out of 20 would benefit no?  Easy votes?

The economy is more complex than that.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I tend to like russy's posts because he doesn't hold back, but I agree with your take here.

Me, I'd like more tories to go to Glastonbury, because it might actually open their minds to things currently absent. If it's only preaching to the converted it's preaching to no one.

Jesus Efests, we are in danger of thinking along the same lines far too much in this thread.  I'm off for a lie down. :)

Edited by Teddington

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

Predominantly they are not protecting the borders at all giving rise to even more future attacks and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks this 

and what do you think they should be doing? Driving the people who arrive on Europe's shores back into the sea? :blink:

There's no answer apart from wars (not just the responsibility of 'the west') to stop happening in the places they come from.

I really don't want to be in a position where we are told to take in refugees on the scale that Angela Merkel did and what a catastrophic decision that was 

Catastrophic? :lol:

It's a fuck lot catastrophic than a German population that's all too old to work. They've got the workers they need, and all (compared to the average) ready-educated.

That's not a catastrophe for Germany, that's its salvation.

Apart from supporting them while they get settled there's no big load on Germany from those refugees, and the average German has little issue with it.

I'll come back later to offer some more.....off to unpack animal feed now after tea break 

If it's any more Daily Mail-esque drivel please don't.

40 minutes ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Just listening to the Womans Hour car crash with Jez.

Ouch...

Surely not :)  Has he been asked some searching questions about his support for terrorists?

Edited by Ommadawn

I disagree , the crime rate in Germany has gone up since it happened , try saying that to those who have been on the receiving end, Germany's liberal attitude is not something I want to see here 

On Radio 4 I think JC has answered a lot of my reasons why I have no confidence in his leadership abilities

EB " how much is free child care going to cost ? "

JC " a lot"  ???????

3 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I disagree , the crime rate in Germany has gone up since it happened , try saying that to those who have been on the receiving end, Germany's liberal attitude is not something I want to see here 

and the requirement to work until dead has been reduced.

The chance of being a victim of crime is slim. The chance of having to work till dead was certain.

Guess which is preferred?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

and the requirement to work until dead has been reduced.

The chance of being a victim of crime is slim. The chance of having to work till dead was certain.

Guess which is preferred?

A slim chance you say?  what are the statistics . ? and one person affected by a potential asylum seeker sexually abusing someone in the country they have sought refuge from is one too any for me 

6 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

A slim chance you say?  what are the statistics . ? and one person affected by a potential asylum seeker sexually abusing someone in the country they have sought refuge from is one too any for me 

If you increase the population you increase the amount of crime because all populations have a criminal element. 

And one more might be too much for you, but it's a trade off. It's not simply a case of crime or no crime, as having a workforce able to support the oldies is of HUGE importance - and Germany has had significant population problems ever since WW2 (perhaps as a direct consequence of ww2, perhaps not).

The UK (and all western countries) have similar population issues, tho not to the same big extent.

You're able to go look up the size of the population problem yourself ... tho I suspect you'd much rather just say "criminals are bad" without any reference to the fact that Germany has German criminals too, and that the crime rate per-head of population is barely changed.

Edited by eFestivals

Had to post this video of Boris Johnson absolutely fucking losing it during an interview......there`s even serious speculation going around that he was drunk, though I think he was just showing how much the torys are cracking under the pressure......as the twitter post states, dont forget this guy is in charge of our `negotiations` with foreign powers 

Edited by waterfalls212434

The key thing here (and I haven't looked at the stats) is to ascertain the increase or decrease in percentage of this type of crime versus the number of people entering the country.

As numbers go up, it's likely that total crime goes up.  If the average is raised then this is an issue.

Germany does need people.  It did after WWII and the "Gastarbeiter" from Turkey arrived.  They never went back........

This has altered the identity of Germany to a certain extent.  Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.

1 minute ago, babyblade41 said:

If you say the crime rate per head population hasn't changed, perhaps scrutinise who are the perpetrators of  crime 

Germans for the most part. :rolleyes:

Do you think they should be driven into the sea, too, like you do the ones with funny skin colour who you seem to have a much bigger issue with? 

If the crime rate per population hasn't much changed - which it hasn't - then the chance of being the victim of crime hasn't much changed either, and there's no greater reason to be concerned about crime.

3 minutes ago, Teddington said:

The key thing here (and I haven't looked at the stats) is to ascertain the increase or decrease in percentage of this type of crime versus the number of people entering the country.

correct.

Tho of course the crimes are likely to be different to some extent, just because the new people who might commit crime have a different culture around crime as they do with everything else.

But of course it also needs recognising that the types of crime change anyway, without an influx of people. 30 years ago car crime used to be rampant in the UK, but it's not really any more, but other things have increased instead.

2 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

Oh dear you really are embarrassing yourself here. The vast majority of terror attacks are committed by nationals of the country. They were born in that country, went to school in that country and then somewhere along the line have been radicalised.

Refugees aren't committing these atrocities. The only exception to this was the Berlin truck attacker who actually entered before Merkel let this big influx of migrants. Possibly a couple of the Paris attackers too out of at least a dozen but certainly not the main ones. 

Why is letting refugees in a "disastrous decision"? The evidence that refugees unleash a crime wave is poor at best and the picture is complex: http://m.dw.com/en/are-refugees-more-criminal-than-the-average-german-citizen/a-38371284

Tories are of course welcome at Glastonbury, but the sort of narrow minded attitude that seems to be shining through some of your posts isn't. I hope you keep your ears and your mind open, listen to an opposing point of view in the Leftfield tent when you have a free minute or two. I hope you leave the festival different to when you arrived. 

6 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:
Had to post this video of Boris Johnson absolutely fucking losing it during an interview......there`s even serious speculation going around that he was drunk, though I think he was just showing how much the torys are cracking under the pressure......as the twitter post states, dont forget this guy is in charge of our `negotiations` with foreign powers 

I think it's exceedingly likely that Boris will be sidelined or demoted once May has her own mandate not dependent on brexit.

I expect the same for Liam Fox, too.

If either happens that'll show the election was about internal tory pressures and little else.

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Why is letting refugees in a "disastrous decision"? The evidence that refugees unleash a crime wave is poor at best and the picture is complex: http://m.dw.com/en/are-refugees-more-criminal-than-the-average-german-citizen/a-38371284

Nice article to lay out the facts with. :)

Like all awkwards facts, those who want to reject reality to indulge in fantasies will reject these facts.