Primavera Sound 2016

DanielM17

Well there's six Hidden Stage bands to come, probably subsidized by Heineken, and they're usually decent.

Think it's very hard to book a big name at this late stage so I'd expect two more mid-tier up-and-coming names, set against 1-2 cancellations (someone tell Brian Wilson we'd be heartbroken if he pulls out).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, there's a reference to playing in Portugal on his website, and I think someone has worked out that NOS Primavera is bang in the middle of the only available window in his hectic touring schedule. So all the indications are positive - we just need that final confirmation. 

The Primavera line-up is looking a lot more exciting than initial offerings from the UK festivals I attend. Certainly far better value for money. If I enjoy Porto as much as I'm hoping to do, I can see myself heading to Barcelona in '17.

Good grief weekend tickets going for £350 on viagogo....mental! Delighted I got mine but it looks like one of my party is out of luck...Friday is going to be rammed with people only there for Radiohead I fear....hopefully they stay down at mordor. The amount of people I've seen that shelled out for flights and accommodation with securing a ticket is ridiculous.

Edited by StephenF

9 minutes ago, StephenF said:

Good grief weekend tickets going for £350 on viagogo....mental! Delighted I got mine but it looks like one of my party is out of luck...Friday is going to be rammed with people only there for Radiohead I fear....hopefully they stay down at mordor. The amount of people I've seen that shelled out for flights and accommodation with securing a ticket is ridiculous.

It definitely has went mental this year! Remember the day Blur played a few years ago seemed especially busy. 

Still, left plenty of room for watching Glass Candy and Swans ;)

Now my main worry is shellac clashing with Radiohead and Drive Like Jehu clashing with sigur ros.....both are a major possibility. Iirc I had time to run at pace from the strokes to secure my annual shellac gig last year...here's hoping the same is true this year.

Edited by StephenF

I'm trying for a friend in the same position....I have a couple of leads and if I can secure two tickets ill pm you :) Its our wedding celebration this year (what better place for a honeymoon come stag/hen thing than primavera) and this one boy is the only one out of a party of 7 who didn't get his on time :/ the twat. I'll keep you posted.

Yup, either option is totally fine. I actually want the entire weekend. But won't commit to buying the Thursday and Saturday from the home website until I know (or they threaten to sell out too!). I went two years ago. Amazing festival!

Edited by Ed

5 minutes ago, StephenF said:

You have as much chance getting a weekend as a Friday...it would seem a large number of people are going EXCLUSIVELY for Radiohead...which is mental.

I'm going to start telling people I'm only going for Angel Witch :D

In fairness, Radiohead are touring for the first time in 4 years and are almost certainly about to drop a new album and are pretty much the best band on the planet (in my humble opinion, of course).

It's a huge draw for Primavera (and it shows in ticket sales).

Does anyone know the capacity of the site? Has it gone up since previous years?

12 minutes ago, smwatson said:

In fairness, Radiohead are touring for the first time in 4 years and are almost certainly about to drop a new album and are pretty much the best band on the planet (in my humble opinion, of course).

Around 50,000 to 60,000 i think.  I know 2011 saw a big increase in numbers & the organisers got a lot of complaints which saw them decrease it again in 2012 (less prolific line-up also helped), but i think this year will feel the increase (very much so on the Friday of course).

34 minutes ago, smwatson said:

I agree...look back on my posts and you will see I was hoping for radiohead to be on the bill! My only issue is with people who will only really care about radiohead and will neglect the rest of the line up...it creates a strange atmosphere of ambivalence towards acts where primavera is usually the place they would receive enthusiasm.

1 hour ago, smwatson said:

They aren't even the best band from Oxford :) Nos Alive hasn't sold out and is a much cheaper festival/city to visit, so I'm not convinced everyone is going for Radiohead. I think the site grew since I first went in 2011 with the addition of the 2 big stages, I reckon it's reached its limit as there's water on 2 sides and the beach next to the backstage area.

2 hours ago, carlmcg said:

They aren't even the best band from Oxford :) Nos Alive hasn't sold out and is a much cheaper festival/city to visit, so I'm not convinced everyone is going for Radiohead. I think the site grew since I first went in 2011 with the addition of the 2 big stages, I reckon it's reached its limit as there's water on 2 sides and the beach next to the backstage area.

OK, I'll bite

Who on earth is a better band from Oxford than the insanely talented Radiohead?

Please don't say Foals, please don't say Foals...