Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Semprini said:

Found out tonight that the Booth will be open on Wednesday night. Interested to see what this new stage will look like!

Looks pretty small from the map. Probably trying to create something a bit more intimate and personal than the Boiler. Some decent acts on there, same as the Lift, Whitney being the hightlight, who unfortunately clashes with M83.

3 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Combis all nearly gone apparently.

I'm honestly wondering if they're not again juggling with numbers, like we suspected them doing with the Bastille day last year.

But last year and this year (nearly) fully selling out is not a good sign towards the future. 

1 hour ago, Dietediet said:

I'm honestly wondering if they're not again juggling with numbers, like we suspected them doing with the Bastille day last year.

But last year and this year (nearly) fully selling out is not a good sign towards the future. 

In terms of better line ups for the future, it's not looking amazing is it?

Looks like they've definitely gone for quantity over quality with more acts than ever this year.

13 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Looks like Sharon Jones has cancelled due to having an operation.

Agh, was looking forward to that, something a bit different to the usual

EDIT - obviously thoughts are with her of course.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings reportedly cancelled. Shame, I was really looking forward to seeing them. Sounds like a health issue though, so hope she's well soon.

Hidden gems wise, listened to Soldier's Heart, Robbing Millions and Bent Van Looy yesterday. They've all got a bit of something.

On 04/08/2016 at 0:13 PM, Dietediet said:

Well the Rihanna day tickets have gone back on sale. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they announced the combis sell shortly after due to some number juggling.

I'm 100% sure that last year Bastille day tickets weren't really sold out. I'm 100% sure that the festival wasn't sold out last year. This year they are repiting the way to proceed. They said that Rihanna day tickets were sold out a couple weeks ago, now they are selling again a "small" batch of Rihanna day tickets and they are still avaliable one hour after they are on sale (same with Linkin Park day tickets last year)...

Last year the festival was less crowded than last years, and this year will be the same.

As Dave said, this week we will see a "combitickets SOLD OUT" new, just for keeping the reputation. I'm sure that this festival sells 50% of combitickets in march, so this fact gives them financial power to pay artist fees and providers... If the festival doesn't sell out, most of people will buy their tickets with no anxiety during April, May or June and PKP will lose financial capacity. 

Edited by johnybegood

2 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

I'm 100% sure that last year Bastille day tickets weren't really sold out. I saw so little day wristbands comparing to Linkin Park day. They said that Rihanna day tickets were sold out a couple weeks ago, now they are selling again a "small" batch of Rihanna day tickets and they are still avaliable one hour after they are on sale...

Last year the festival was less crowded than last years, and this year will be the same.

As Dave said, this week we will see a "combitickets SOLD OUT" new, just for keeping the reputation. I'm sure that this festival sells 50% of combitickets in march, so this fact gives them financial power to pay artist fees and providers... If the festival doesn't sell out, most of people will buy their tickets with no anxiety during april or may, and PKP will lose financial capacity.

https://focusophasselt.wordpress.com/2016/08/08/extra-tickets-pukkelpop-2016-voor-vermomming-zwakke-voorverkoop-voor-zwakke-affiche/

Some quite harsh criticism about the line up and the 'old trick' of releasing sold out tickets.

54 minutes ago, TheNewUnion said:

For me, Thursday is anything but weak.

Wolfmother

EODM

LSP

Chvrches

Rihanna

Block Party

Die Antwoord

Back to back good names.

It's obviously a matter of taste but I'd only watch Wolfmother out of that lot and maybe Chvrches again. I don't mind the music of TLSP but I just have a very rational hatred of Alex Turner.

My Thursday would be mostly split between the Club, Dance Hall and Costello.

Thursday's my quietest day but I've still got around 15 bands and DJs I'm hoping to see. Most of my time will be split between the Boiler and Castello but I'm looking forward to doing a bit of wandering around the site.

Saw a picture a couple of days ago of what I think was either the Dance Hall or Boiler. Right outside the entrance is a massive steel tower, a bit like the central column of one of those fair ground rides where you sit in the chairs and it fires you up (or you slowly rise to the top and it drops you down). Don't think it is one of those though because it's right outside the entrance to the tent. There's some sort of diamond shaped lighting structure at the top so maybe it's one of a number of similar towers that will make up the dance area installation this year?

Got some info through from the festival this morning and it looks like I'll have access to the artist area back stage!! Can't wait to have a nosey around the place!

17 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

It's obviously a matter of taste but I'd only watch Wolfmother out of that lot and maybe Chvrches again. I don't mind the music of TLSP but I just have a very rational hatred of Alex Turner.

My Thursday would be mostly split between the Club, Dance Hall and Costello.

Good point. I'll probably see very little in Dance or Castello, demonstrating the strength in depth of the lineup. 

Re Alex Turner, I've always assumed his LSP persona is a joke/character he's playing to try and make Miles Kane laugh. If not it's unbearable...

4 hours ago, Stanza1113 said:

Wondering anyone here attending Pukkelpop alone? :)

Kind of....if I go (deciding for definite tonight) I'll be travelling alone. Normally there's anywhere from 2 to 5 of us going. Will be meeting up with Semprini at least from here, that is if he'll mix with the common people this year!

Quite happy to meet up for a beer with anyone else travelling alone :-)

1 hour ago, TheNewUnion said:

Good point. I'll probably see very little in Dance or Castello, demonstrating the strength in depth of the lineup. 

Re Alex Turner, I've always assumed his LSP persona is a joke/character he's playing to try and make Miles Kane laugh. If not it's unbearable...

I've always assumed Alex Turner is no more than a narcissistic twat. However, I do like TLSP's music a lot, so I shall be there anyway trying to concentrate on Miles Kane.

Agree about the Dance Hall and Castello though. There's only a handful of people there I'm interested in, and in every case they clash with someone else (e.g. Soulwax vs Damian Marley), so I may end up not going there at all.

Edited by Trufflehound

Soulwax is in my top 3 for the weekend so I'll definitely be there. 

Dua Lipa and Jess Glynne will be good as well, two really decent pop acts to break up the day. Think Dua Lipa will be a bit special, personally, she'll be a daytime main stager next year the way she's going.

2 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Kind of....if I go (deciding for definite tonight) I'll be travelling alone. Normally there's anywhere from 2 to 5 of us going. Will be meeting up with Semprini at least from here, that is if he'll mix with the common people this year!

Quite happy to meet up for a beer with anyone else travelling alone :-)

If you're going 'on your own' then I guess I am too!!!! 

There's a group of us who meet up every year (some off the board and a few local Belgians too) so no one is really on their own. It's nice in that we're flexible enough to split up and see whoever we want but invariably there's always a couple of people who want to see the same thing anyway. I probably spend the most time on my own as a lot of what I want to see is in the dance area (Castello, Boiler and Dance Hall) and most of the others aren't into it that much.

We usually try to arrange a board meet up but it rarely happens. Having said that, be happy to meet up up with people off here for a beer or two!