Pukkelpop 2016

DDave

23 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Soulwax is in my top 3 for the weekend so I'll definitely be there. 

Soulwax will be good, but I've already seen them twice at PKP (2004 and 2008), and I've never seen any of the Marleys.

On top of that, I know from experience that by late Saturday evening my feet will be sore and the chances of me being arsed to make the long trek from the Main to the Dance Hall after LCD Soundsystem is practically zero... Game set and match Damian.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, DiscothequeDave said:

another cancellation. Travis Scott this time.

No great loss

I know they've only just announced this but promising that there's a gap in the timetable, rather than everyone else being shunted up a place. Will probably happen tomorrow when the web people are back at work.

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

I know they've only just announced this but promising that there's a gap in the timetable, rather than everyone else being shunted up a place. Will probably happen tomorrow when the web people are back at work.

This was the case for Sharon Jones. 

I think they will fill the Dance Hall spot though. It's easier to book a DJ/Producer with a laptop than it is to book a full band and another cancellation without a replacement won't go down well.

Fingers crossed for someone like Simian Mobile Disco or Proxy. I really hope they book Roosevelt though. Playing at Lowlands and should be cheap so should be an obvious choice.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

13 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

Kind of....if I go (deciding for definite tonight) I'll be travelling alone. Normally there's anywhere from 2 to 5 of us going. Will be meeting up with Semprini at least from here, that is if he'll mix with the common people this year!

Quite happy to meet up for a beer with anyone else travelling alone :-)

Sweet. Definitely would love to meet up with you guys. 

By the way, has anyone dealt with the locker before in the previous year? I have a bag that got to store in the locker but I'm afraid that the lockers will be full in no time. Any advices?

1 hour ago, Stanza1113 said:

Sweet. Definitely would love to meet up with you guys. 

By the way, has anyone dealt with the locker before in the previous year? I have a bag that got to store in the locker but I'm afraid that the lockers will be full in no time. Any advices?

I can only comment on the lockers in the arena but they have loads so you should be fine. Only issue might be getting your bag in, what with the enhanced security checks.

They may well have lockers in the campsite but I can't confirm whether that's the case or not? If there's no info on the website then either email the organisers or send them a tweet - they're pretty good at replying on both fronts.

Wasn't planning on seeing Lukas Graham but they does seem like a crazy schedule - Australia on Tuesday and then Belgium on Friday?!?!?

This time next week I'll be on the ferry heading over to Holland..... :)

24 minutes ago, Semprini said:

I can only comment on the lockers in the arena but they have loads so you should be fine. Only issue might be getting your bag in, what with the enhanced security checks.

They may well have lockers in the campsite but I can't confirm whether that's the case or not? If there's no info on the website then either email the organisers or send them a tweet - they're pretty good at replying on both fronts.

Wasn't planning on seeing Lukas Graham but they does seem like a crazy schedule - Australia on Tuesday and then Belgium on Friday?!?!?

This time next week I'll be on the ferry heading over to Holland..... :)

Thanks for the info mate. :)

You are going to Holland? Have fun man! I will be going to Holland as well after PKP to recover from the post-rave trauma. Haha. 

Weather looks like it has taken a turn. Unsurprisingly almost immediately after the festival tweeted about the weather. Not sure I have done a rainy one at PKP, how does the ground hold up? The storm aside, I only remember one being rainy and the only real mud I recall was at the entrance to the marquee, debating taking my walking boots rather than trainers though will check weather nearer to the time as we're still a bit far out I think.

2014 was a bit shit for weather and being used to having Pukkelpop in blazing sunshine (we gave 2011 a miss) it did take the shine of it all. Overcast all the way through and rained sporadically. I even took the steps to buy waterproof shoes and an rain jacket from the Sports Direct in Hasselt. Threw any ounce of cool I had straight out of the window wearing that stuff I tell thee.

The ground holds up very very well and didn't see any mud at all. I'd have been fine with trainers tbh. 

Edited by DiscothequeDave

Been to 13 previous PKPs in rain and shine and, besides 2011, never had a problem with mud. The only mud I remember was around the wash basins on the campsite, and that was overspill because people left the taps running, not because of rain.

I've always worn trainers and only regretted it once (2011).

I don't think the current forecast is that bad - probably showers rather than constant rain (it's been like that practically all summer over here), but it's still a long way out so the models could change a lot. I generally reckon that more than 48 hours out the forecasters haven't really got much of a clue.

Edited by Trufflehound

yeah, I think it was 2014 where there was mud at the entrance to Marquee. As long as it's not a Glastonbury mud-wading scenario then I'll be OK with that. Always carry my waterproof coat anyway, just wondering on the footwear/spare footwear combo (my boots got flooded in the storm year and I had no other footwear, wet feet until I was able to procure some new footwear in Antwerp)

10 hours ago, Stanza1113 said:

Thanks for the info mate. :)

You are going to Holland? Have fun man! I will be going to Holland as well after PKP to recover from the post-rave trauma. Haha. 

No problem, if you've got any other questions then fire them across - there's usually someone who will be able to give you an answer. :)

I'm just spending the day in Rotterdam with some friends (I do this every year) and then I normally get the train up to Hasselt. Found out last night they're actually going to drop me off in Antwerp which is a bonus! The first year we went to PKP we did a couple of nights afterwards in Amsterdam. I'd like to say it was a good chance to recover but it didn't quite turn out that way.

9 hours ago, Furious-Red said:

Im going to Amsterdam on the Monday from Ireland till wednesday then heading to Hasselt 

That's the perfect warm up!

Are you both sorted with the train arrangements in and out of Holland? I'm sure you know all your travel is covered in Belgium so the station you need in Holland is Roosendaal. It's the last one at the border and, even if your train doesn't actually stop there, you can still by a ticket to/from it.

Looks at the moment like we'll have a bit of rain on Thursday and Friday but perhaps more importantly it's going to be hot and dry for 5/6 days leading up to the start. That was the issue this year at Glastonbury and Rock Werchter - the ground was saturated beforehand - so it didn't take much to churn it all up. Unless the forecasts change to heavy rain for some of the days I won't be bringing anything other than my trainers, which is the same as every other year! 

4 minutes ago, Semprini said:

Are you both sorted with the train arrangements in and out of Holland? I'm sure you know all your travel is covered in Belgium so the station you need in Holland is Roosendaal. It's the last one at the border and, even if your train doesn't actually stop there, you can still by a ticket to/from it.

Just to clarify, the PKP free travel in Belgium ticket is valid from the first station in Belgium, which is Essen (about 5km south of Roosendaal), so technically if you're travelling down from Amsterdam you need to buy a ticket to there, not Roosendaal.

Think you'd be very unfortunate to get a jobsworth inspector taking issue with you having a ticket for Roosendaal but yeah, definitely go with Trufflehounds advice and book it to/from Essen. :D

You might know this already but when you're heading to the festival from Amsterdam, take the train to Antwerp and change there for Hasselt/Kiewit (same on the way home). There's no need to go all the way to Brussels as it takes much longer to do essentially the same journey.

Received confirmation today of my set times. I'll be playing on Friday from 16.45 to 17.30 at the entrance to the Foodwood, sandwiched (excuse the pun!) between GoGo Penguin and Sleaford Mods. I'm in the same place again on Saturday from 14.00 to 14.30, which is in between Max Jury and Sunset Sons.

If anyone's about then feel free to come and say 'hi'! :D

1 hour ago, Semprini said:

Received confirmation today of my set times. I'll be playing on Friday from 16.45 to 17.30 at the entrance to the Foodwood, sandwiched (excuse the pun!) between GoGo Penguin and Sleaford Mods. I'm in the same place again on Saturday from 14.00 to 14.30, which is in between Max Jury and Sunset Sons.

some dubstep is welcome ??;)

5 hours ago, Stanza1113 said:

I'm thinking whether I should purchase the beer voucher in advance. Could anyone please advise? One more thing I would like to know is roughly how much the food are? So I can decide how much cash I should bring with me.

I'd get beer tokens in advance, save yourself a queue to buy them when you arrive. As for food, none of our lot eat inside, we just pop out and eat at one of the houses outside. The thatched cottage does good BBQ sandwiches (turn left out of the festival) and there is a Pizza/Kebab place and a Frituur if you turn right out of the festival, about 5 minutes walk or so. Also, pretty much all the places have burgers etc and beers for much less than in the festival site (think it was €1.5 a can last time). Food inside is quite expensive so we just eat outside between bands and have a few cheap beers.

11 hours ago, Semprini said:

I'll check my clashfinder. Hopefully we'll be free after GoGopenguin to come and watch/listen. Despite my objection to the food prices, Foodwood has some good stuff so a good feed and some good tunes could be in the offing I think!