Glasto Green Survey

rubenz

http://frontofhouse.org/event-services/index.php/front-of-house-services/barrow-buddies-festival-wheelbarrow-hire-service/something like this might help with people leaving stuff because they can't carry it? I remember it being a thing at Download a couple of years ago, they had them on the end of the car parks and was £20, you got some of the money back on safe return on the barrow. Bloodstock also had something similar too. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 years ago most tents were good bits of kit from a proper outdoors manufacturers that, if treated well, would do you years and years. The first tent I took was a Vango Force 10 ridge tent that my dad had had since the early 70s.

Tents now are available in LIDL for £9.99 - they're practically intended to be single use.

I :wub: my Force 10 !   tentwave.gif

Hand made by wee lassies in bonny Scotland somewhat more than 35 years ago, mine still gets several weeks (if not months) of use each and every year ... except for this year unfortunately when me and Ye Olde Tent will be mostly staying at home and sulking :(  Best £150 or thereabouts I ever spent !  Even when some drunken tw@t(s) virtually flattened the poor old thing at Glasto 2010, some of the said wee lassies were still around to lovingly patch up various minor holes and post me a brand spanking shiny new set of poles to restore it to it's former glory.  It might be several decades past it's prime but I don't go anywhere without it and it'll almost certainly outlive me going on performance to date :lol: I wouldn't trust it anywhere too much above sea level these days TBH but other than that it's still does exactly what it says on the tin and has never even been re-proofed so I've yet to experience getting all damp and soggy when camping. It's been one of only a few tents left standing, totally intact and bone dry inside on several occasions over the years despite it's age and perceived dire lack of modern design and materials etc !

As for other comment(s) suggesting public transport users being more inclined to leave stuff behind ... sweeping generalisation much and all that <_<  I hump my stuff absolutely everywhere I ever go and always travel everywhere by public transport as I don't drive but I've never left so much as dogend behind anywhere I've ever been to. Just a tent shaped patch of not_so_green_as_it_should_be grass that's all. There's absolutely no excuse for leaving anything else behind no matter what. No excuses whatsoever. If you can manage to bring it then you sure as h*ll could take it away with you as well.  I've brought home more than I took to Glasto on more than 1 occasion over the years. I'm still using the first of 2 abandoned chairs I rescued from Glasto god knows how many years ago !

The increasing amount of stuff  regularly and quite intentionally left behind by lazy, inconsiderate and irresponsible morons various is quite shameful but I doubt there's much that could ever be done in reality to change their attitude. It seems a sad fact of life that dumping or otherwise abandoning cr@p various for the mystical someone else to deal with appropriately is par for the course.  You could probably manage to furnish a flat and clothe a small family with the amount of cr@p various dumped/abandoned on the streets within just a few hundred yards of where I live.  Move out and dump all the cr@p you've accumulated but can't be arsed to take with you outside on the street for Mr.Someone-Else to deal with and all that :(

Edited by mikeb

I tend to agree with the people here who say that it's just going to happen, and there isn't a great lot that the festival can do to stop it.... 

Part of me thinks it'd be good to have some kind of competition/reward thing for leaving your area the tidiest, etc. but no idea how it'd work in progress  - it's not like anyone can prove where they camped effectively. I do like the idea of entering a draw for tickets if you take all your stuff home... maybe you could do it for tents - show your tent when you are leaving the site to enter the draw??

Likewise if the biggest issue is actually making sure that people take stuff home rather than just in the bins, I'm not really sure how the festival can help other than offering to send stuff back to people's houses (probably just as expensive as landfill, no?)

I did like the re-usable cup scheme mentioned on other threads here - no idea how practical that is though...

• 4 weeks later...