Not enough female performers? Or silly agenda-pushing nonsense?

majormajormajor

Okay, thats fine. It just sounds like your saying interest is behind success in something like music. So I'm wondering what you, or anyone, think women are more interested in than men - if men are more interested in music as you say -and do they tend to be at the top of that industry? 

I don't agree that success in making music can be compared to success in business, music is an art form where generally the talented are recognised for their achievements.

You're comparing two different things, yes there are not enough women in high places within business and I do believe that sexism there plays an issue.

However, there are also few black people in the same positions. But could you say the same about black musicians?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree that success in making music can be compared to success in business, music is an art form where generally the talented are recognised for their achievements.

You're comparing two different things, yes there are not enough women in high places within business and I do believe that sexism there plays an issue.

However, there are also few black people in the same positions. But could you say the same about black musicians?

Yes. I think so. I would go out on an arm and a limb and say that there are more rich, successful musicians that are white, than black. The same evidence being used.

Again, look at your logic.

1) Men are more successful in music (as festival lineups, numbers, revenue figures will prove)

2) Music isn't sexist

3) Only talent matters in music

4) Men are more talented musically

Surely something as arbitrary as gender can't be behind musical talent? So can what you're saying be right?

Maybe. But I don't find it convincing.

Edited by Tigerdragon

Yes. I think so. I would go out on an arm and a limb and say that there are more rich, successful musicians that are white, than black. The same evidence being used.

Again, look at your logic.

1) Men are more successful in music (as festival lineups, numbers, revenue figures will prove)

2) Music isn't sexist

3) Only talent matters in music

4) Men are more talented musically

Surely something as arbitrary as gender can't be behind musical talent? So can what you're saying be right?

Maybe. But I don't find it convincing.

At the same time some of the biggest artists who have ever lived are black, Michael Jackson springs to mind. You’re saying there are more white people, but its about representation. This is being looked at from an English/American standpoint (as that’s where the biggest artists tend to come from) where black people make up a smaller percentage of the population.

The female thing is the same, if there are less women at the “grass roots” level then less women will rise to the top. Its simple common sense. How many people do you know growing up were in bands, and how many of them were female? There’s less to choose from. And lets be honest 99.999999% of people in bands are rubbish anyway so of course less women make it to the top.

In this day and age where people don’t need major labels to promote them and everything can be done on your own back I don’t think artists are being held back on gender.

Edited by chewsavedlatin

Not really. I pointed out just a couple posts above yours that quite a lot of women decide to become homemakers when they have children and take part time jobs which means not as many are entering ALL professions and thus there will NEVER be equal representation in music.

If you don't believe that then you must believe women don't make good homemakers.

See how this works ?

Who wants blind equality anyway.

z3.jpg

That's really not what that graphic means.

At the same time some of the biggest artists who have ever lived are black, Michael Jackson springs to mind. You’re saying there are more white people, but its about representation. This is being looked at from an English/American standpoint (as that’s where the biggest artists tend to come from) where black people make up a smaller percentage of the population.

The female thing is the same, if there are less women at the “grass roots” level then less women will rise to the top. Its simple common sense. How many people do you know growing up were in bands, and how many of them were female? There’s less to choose from. And lets be honest 99.999999% of people in bands are rubbish anyway so of course less women make it to the top.

In this day and age where people don’t need major labels to promote them and everything can be done on your own back I don’t think artists are being held back on gender.

The beetles rise to mind more strongly than him. 

You're both missing the point and contradicting yourself. The whole point is WHY are there less women at grassroots level? And its, I think, because you do what people like you do. You follow in your likeness. You see tim jones from your home town on TV and think I could do that. So if less women are making it to the top, then less women will enter. Its a vicious cycle that, for the long term health of music, has to be stopped.

All anyones suggesting is that when people take punts on bands, that maybe women be given a slight nudge in the short term. It counteracts their initial disadvantage, means more women will be inspired to give a band a shot and, in the long term, makes the music industry much, much better.

I think we're almost agreeing. We both think that less women are going into music. I just think I see that as the whole issue, and the reason that, when for instance you get the choice of booking Blur or bumping up flo, that flo should be bumped up, so girls see that, and ask for a guitar for christmas and there is more choice.

The whole point is WHY are there less women at grassroots level? And its, I think, because you do what people like you do. You follow in your likeness. You see tim jones from your home town on TV and think I could do that. So if less women are making it to the top, then less women will enter. Its a vicious cycle that, for the long term health of music, has to be stopped.

I agree with this - but I think it's about far more than sexism. I was someone who did my own thing without caring about the male/female "imbalance" and I never came across sexism despite being in a rarity - in fact I got nothing but respect (I can only speak for myself on this, so others may have experienced otherwise). 

I'm a big Prince fan. Prince is a fan of female musicians and his bands frequently include very talented women. I enjoy the aggressive funk style which is normally much more commonly found amongst male musicians, and as long as the musicians are playing the music I like I don't care if they are male or female. But at the end of the day, women don't tend to make as much music like this, and as such my music collection is probably about 80%male.

If there are a lot of women who are being unfairly discriminated against just because they are female, then I would completely support efforts to improve the situation - but I'm not so sure that that is the cause of the imbalance.

Sorry for saying you were sexist, I maybe took some things you said in a way you didn't intend them.

I still think you're wrong though ;) Taylor Swift has spoken about discrimination she faces. For example, people do seem to have a hard time believing she writes her own music, and made the point that someone like Kanye West uses loads of producers and beat makers, but nobody really questions his artistry. Something I noticed on a thread on here was that after she made a statement about Apple giving away free trials to their music without paying the artist, somebody said she was obviously a puppet for her record company. I think that wouldn't have been said if she was male. So Taylor Swift has succeeded in music, and it can obviously be done by women, but they still are seen as the "face" of the music rather than having much creative input or authority in it. Which can go some way to explain why they succeed more in the more image-based Pop genre.

I think that's a pretty bad thing. It means young girls don't see people like themselves creating music, just singing/performing/dancing/looking pretty to it and then don't have role models to influence them into creating or playing music themselves.

Edited by Bradders

Taylor Swift has spoken about discrimination she faces. For example, people do seem to have a hard time believing she writes her own musiC

I don't believe that is because of sexism or discrimination against her. I think that's because of the style of music she makes and the set precedent that immediately comes to mind. It's a stereotype of mainstream top 40 pop music, not sexism. I'm not saying that makes it right, but I can certainly see why people would think that she has nothing to do with the songwriting process.

I think that the problem lies within the music industry rather than in festivals itself. Glastonbury will always have such an overwhelming amount of performers playing and there are loads of female acts on at Glastonbury this year.

Patti Smith is playing the Pyramid Stage this year, and as much as I don't like her music Florence & The Machine is headlining which is a brilliant step in the right direction. Not to mention all the female performers over at the Circus Fields a plethora of female vocalist/dance acts playing Silver Hayes. There are female performers all over the place.

I would say the girls done good this year :-

FLORENCE + THE MACHINE

MARY J. BLIGE

ALABAMA SHAKES

PALOMA FAITH

COURTNEY BARNETT

PATTI SMITH

ELLA EYRE

AZEALIA BANKS

JANE WEAVER

SHARON VAN ETTEN

MAVIS STAPLES

KATE TEMPEST

IBEYI

FLO MORRISSEY

THE STAVES

DENAI MOORE

LA ROUX

JESSIE WARE

LIANNE LA HAVAS

LUCY KITCHEN

TEXAS

CHELSEY CHAMBERS

GRETCHEN PETERS

OLIVIA CHANEY

LULU

CARA DILLON

MOULETTES

THEA GILMORE

Sinhala, try doing the list again, this time with the "mostly male" performing acts, I'd do it myself if I had the time, but I'd fall asleep before I could finish, it would be that long. 

Then consider that over 50% of this country's population are women. 

Do you still think "the girls" are doing well?