Tent security

Charles Carmichael

Is it cheeky to drop my backpack and stuff off at the lockups? Thinking about space in the tent and wondering if I might just grab a few changes of clothes and essentials to keep in the tent and then leave everything else at a nearby lockup to grab stuff out of as necessary. Am I going to end up annoying the people working there?

Kind of what they are there for, and it is a good plan, because if some disaster strikes, you know you have cash, card and a change of clothes in the lock up! I found that not a problem last year at all. But I did pass the same lock up on my way from my tent to anywhere on the site.

You might want to put something like your initials and postcode on your bag, tipex works a treat. Or leave photo ID in it. That way if you lose your wallet and ticket stubb for the lock up, you can still prove ownership.

You might want to put something like your initials and postcode on your bag, tipex works a treat. Or leave photo ID in it. That way if you lose your wallet and ticket stubb for the lock up, you can still prove ownership.

Thats a great idea, but if you do lose your ticket don't worry too much - we have procedures in place to find your item :)

A good tip is to take a picture of your ticket or store the number in your phone. Cuts down on time should the worst happen.

The lock ups are ace, as are those that run them. It really is a great service when you compare the piss poor options for securing goods at some other festivals. I'm a relative latecomer to them. I used to just carry all my cash etc around with me and then possibly crash out with it still in the pocket of my jeans or whatever for the whole few days. Wouldn't dream of doing it now. Why risk it? Especially as you just know you're going to render yourself retarded whilst there.

Thats a great idea, but if you do lose your ticket don't worry too much - we have procedures in place to find your item :)

A good tip is to take a picture of your ticket or store the number in your phone. Cuts down on time should the worst happen.

Do you work in one of the lock ups? If so I have another question - last year the tent did charging for phones etc which was great, but obviously they got pretty busy in the evenings and that as everyone wanted their phones charging while they slept. This year I'm bringing one of those portable chargers and planning on dropping it off during the day to get recharged if it runs out, think that'd be a problem?

Do you work in one of the lock ups? If so I have another question - last year the tent did charging for phones etc which was great, but obviously they got pretty busy in the evenings and that as everyone wanted their phones charging while they slept. This year I'm bringing one of those portable chargers and planning on dropping it off during the day to get recharged if it runs out, think that'd be a problem?

Rottencrotch mentioned in another thread that they could charge up battery packs as well at his lock up which is Pennards. Just make sure to drop a donation in the tin, I think they ask for £3 for charging a phone.

Rottencrotch mentioned in another thread that they could charge up battery packs as well at his lock up which is Pennards. Just make sure to drop a donation in the tin, I think they ask for £3 for charging a phone.

Thanks, thought this was the case, just thinking doing that sort of thing during the day is probably better as there's less demand for charging then. Always give a donation when I use the lock up so that won't change!

No need for that. Just have a quiet word with the badgers and they'll dig a tunnel for you at a fraction of the price. A handful of earth worms will get you a two way system. Complete with toll booths!

I don't wanna catch TB!!

Badgers should get tested at school like everyone else!!

How big are the lock ups?

Massive, they are big marquees rather than individual lockers. They will take anything, up to and including bikes.

You hand over your stuff, they give you a ticket, you give them your ticket, they give you your stuff back. As far as I am aware they still have never had anything lost or stolen from them so it really is a top notch service, normally very friendly staff too.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't say 0% - I returned to find two nearby tents burnt to the ground and my neighbours one slightly melted in 2000.

Maybe 0.00001%. :)

well I have seen it happen but that was in the 80's - my friends and I were walking back dead early in the morning and there was two jokers  who were right out their head - they had started a fire and one of them dragged a tent onto it - we warned them to put the fire out but they claimed ' it was their tent ' - anyway we hung about to make sure it did not spread - its amazing how quick they go up - as soon as it died down they staggered off and we made sure the fire was out - just two young idiots - this was when you could still park next to your tent so not the best place to have open fires.

its rare but I am sure there is accidents every year.

Thanks, thought this was the case, just thinking doing that sort of thing during the day is probably better as there's less demand for charging then. Always give a donation when I use the lock up so that won't change!

Correct, we charged loads last year :)

Sorry am I correct in thinking that you can charge your charger/phone at any lock up, or is it just a particular one?

On 03/11/2015, 15:26:21, gerardfenton18 said:

Sorry am I correct in thinking that you can charge your charger/phone at any lock up, or is it just a particular one?

Some of the caravans in each of the fields for the campsite crews also offered phone charging.

The EE powerbar exchange was also pretty painless...

On 03/11/2015, 15:26:21, gerardfenton18 said:

I used John Peel lock up mainly last year and they were doing charging too.

I take my portable battery pack - sorts me right out. I usually keep my smartphone on me at G (mad cargo trousers with extra stictched on buttons never failed me before) and when I eventually go to bed pop it on charge overnight and start again next day.

• 4 months later...