Obey in Shangri La

knivesout

Just realised that this happened: http://www.obeyclothing.co.uk/news/2014/07/glastonbury-2014/

Really don't know how to feel about this; though I get that the guy who set up Obey is himself an artist, I don't particularly like the fact that Shangri La was basically used to advertise shit clothes worn primarily by dickheads under the guise of counterculture, particularly within the framework of an anti-corporate theme.

Was it really though?

not totally, but having the obey logo everywhere is kinda saying 'hey guys buy these clothes that also have this logo'

seems a bit odd when the whole theme of shangri la last year was broadly anti capitalist

Edited by knivesout

I probably would have just assumed it was a They Live reference and moved on.

This.

Having looked at their T-Shirts I don't mind a few of the designs. Horrendously overpriced, but then that's what you get if you want to move out of the high street and not look like every single bloke in a town centre on a saturday night.

*edit*

Edited to add: I just bought one of the reduced Tees that had a design, colour and size that I liked. Their work at Glastonbury might not have sold many clothes, OP, but your thread has. Global capitalism thanks you for your efforts ;)

Edited by Spindles

*edit*

Edited to add: I just bought one of the reduced Tees that had a design, colour and size that I liked. Their work at Glastonbury might not have sold many clothes, OP, but your thread has. Global capitalism thanks you for your efforts ;)

Yeah if you hadnt made this thread I wouldve gone another year not having a clue that Obey were involved.

Maybe that was OPs plan.. maybe he works for them... bloody corporate fascist!

Edited by Harry3

Just realised that this happened: http://www.obeyclothing.co.uk/news/2014/07/glastonbury-2014/

Really don't know how to feel about this; though I get that the guy who set up Obey is himself an artist, I don't particularly like the fact that Shangri La was basically used to advertise shit clothes worn primarily by dickheads under the guise of counterculture, particularly within the framework of an anti-corporate theme.

The clothing came after the art and the two are completely separate but...

if it had been the clothing that was being "advertised" then with Shangri-Hell having being taken over by a corporation it would have been apt.

i didnt know this until it was mentioned, so fair enough they obviously didnt make it particularly apparant that there was even a link. it can't be construed as advertising.

but i still had to upvote the OP cos Obey truly is "shit clothes worn primarily by dickheads" along with stussy, patta and all that shit. you're not unique or trendy you're just lame.

I am with others, didn't know notice any connection with the clothing brand on any visit there. Though that might be as I just thought Obey, was just the silly hats and t-shirts that just have red "Obey" logo on them and nothing that artistic about it.

As longs it not like "BUY OUR T-SHIRTS". I can't get that worked up over it if its just the guys artistic style being placed around the place.

Edited by LondonTom