True Detective

Mouseboy11

Good last episode but in a very tragic way....

The Valcoro ending seemed to be madness

Overall really enjoyed it..... But no Hollywood ending is a double edged blade

i thought the ending was okay but it wasn't as good as i'd hoped it would be. i feel they got a lot of flack about leaving both main characters alive at the end of season one (despite both of them being absolutely fucked) so went a bit overboard in this series killing three of them off. it had some cool scenes (Farrell and Vaughn's raid scene, and then both of their death scenes) but overall it still seemed a bit of a mess with far too much going on. hopefully for the third season (which some seem in doubt about, but i think it'll get one) they'll refine the story a bit and get it back to the glory of the first season (which i now feel like i need to watch over again)

I liked the ending overall TBF. Even if you are increasingly saying FFS as it looks as if another one will pop their clogs and the fact Burris et al get away with it. But thats the gritty reality of the criminal world. "Good guys" get fucked over. I like the "Hollywood go fuck yerself" attitude to it

However, I still dont get while Valcoro didnt just jack another car once he realised he could not remove the transponder and I did not like the fact that Burris was waiting outside for Woodrugh after the meeting with Holloway and he just shot him dead without knowing if Holloway got any information from him and without thinking of interrogating him himself..................

As for season one's ending, the fact that both main characters stayed alive was not my main gripe at all really. It was the lack of satisfactory on screen closure and also that Rust (one of the most intelligent, ardent on screen atheists ever) had a spiritual enlightenment moment as he bleed out and had one of his brain fucked hallucinations..........that did not (and still doesnt) sit well with me.................in that context had Rust died happy that he knew his job was done and making peace with the Earth personally somewhat then it would have been a lot better to my mind 

• 2 weeks later...

I think that's unfair, Harrelson had a much more difficult role to pull off, I reckon. 

Agreed. Harrelson was supposed to be, if not wooden, more plain. A simpler, gruffer, dimmer man. McConaughey was supposed to be the wittier, better read, more sarcastic one, so got a lot more "sexy" character stuff to do.

And he did it brilliantly, no doubt about it; but Harrelson was wonderful not least as he agreed to stay in 2nd gear instead of trying to grab the camera at every opportunity

I forget which of the Redwood / Newman films it was, but it's a famous thing where one of them is (in Hollywood) terms the junior so the other is always fidgeting and doing "stuff" with the hand to distract the viewer to them when the other speaks.

"What's scented meat?", indeed.