Glastonbury & The Green Party

simonsimondock

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you found it and made it public a bit earlier than it was supposed to be - but yes I was aware of the pilot scheme for 'Waste Warriors' - whilst I fully support the idea of trying to get people to be more tidy and communal in campsites - I'm not sure some idealist young green isn't going to be broken by the reality of the situation.

But, something needs to be done.

I'm just not sure more draconian measures may have to be employed to stop the Reading campsite mentality of a decade ago setting in.

There are a large number of exciting new green initiatives being rolled out this year to try and combat waste.

The main problem being the Festival's recycling facilities are now stretched to capacity by people leaving rubbish. Personally I'd bring in the once proposed ban on trolley loads of slabs of cans, and employ the local Hells Angels to patrol the campsites rather than some fresh faced Greens - luckily I'm not in charge! :lol:

whilst I fully support the idea of trying to get people to be more tidy and communal in campsites - I'm not sure some idealist young green isn't going to be broken by the reality of the situation.

Indeed, I am not sure this will turn as well intentioned as they are thinking. I could see some people reacting badly...then again maybe they need a bit of shaming of these types anyway.

I'll reserve judgement until they release fully what they will be up to/

I agree that this could well be ideology over reality. The scale to which some festival goers don't give a solitary fuck is staggering, and I include those who're quite happy to whoop it up at Greenfields. Monday morning at 9am is when principles are tested, not when some political mouthpiece at Leftfield has gotten a huge round of applause. The sad reality, evidenced by the scale of waste casually thrown around or left to rot, is that many couldn't give a toss when it hurts.

How do you combat that? I don't know. I doff my hats to the Greens, but as ever, their ideas unravel in the cold light of day. They have my support and I'll join whatever they're trying to do with a smile on my face but the notion that you can win anybody over because you've found a way in which your own principles are realised neglects to account for differing ideas, or hypocrisy.