What women (don't) want.

midnight

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't.

so you want to be thought of as a shit mother? :P

Or might you want to be thought of as a successful mother?

I wasn't talking about just jobs. People measure their own success against the things which are most important to them, but also against the things where they do have some success. There's no point wanting to be thought of as a successful brain surgeon if you've no chance of ever being a brain surgeon.

You brought up the 'bursting into tears', thing, and I just wanted to clarify if you saw it as a weakness. Which, apparently, you do.

I think that's very relevant to the discussion.

I bought up the 'tears' thing against a particular thing someone (you i think) had said. It wasn't a comment about tears in all circumstances, but about tears in specific circumstances.

And yes, in those cases it's undoubtedly a weakness. You don't show strength in a disagreement/confrontation by bursting into tears.

The best it can show with regard to strength/weakness is an attempt at manipulation.

Surely that depends on how the convo is going and what it being said. Probably all about context

the context normally being that the female doesn't like the way the convo has gone.

So it's either submission to the truth within that convo, or it's an attempt to manipulate the response via emotional means and not intelligence.

Either way, its weakness.

I assume you are just apply crying as weakness, you seemed to be just refering to women (I know the tittle of the thread) so I assume you mean Men as well.

Must admit I have never thought about conversations and whether you have to be "strong". I just see them as conversations.

I do think context does play a part as this could trigger certain emotions that would make someone cry, Mentioning their recently dead Dad say, or would you see that as weak and they should old onto their emotions.

I assume you are just apply crying as weakness, you seemed to be just refering to women (I know the tittle of the thread) so I assume you mean Men as well.

it could apply to men just as easily, tho they're not particularly known for tears when something hasn't go0ne the way they'd prefer.

Must admit I have never thought about conversations and whether you have to be "strong". I just see them as conversations.

I don't either. They're an exchange of words and no need to be anything else.

But sometimes some people choose to make them something more than just an exchange of words.

I do think context does play a part as this could trigger certain emotions that would make someone cry, Mentioning their recently dead Dad say, or would you see that as weak and they should old onto their emotions.

That's not the sort of thing I'm on about.

That's not the sort of thing I'm on about.

Ah Ok

it could apply to men just as easily, tho they're not particularly known for tears when something hasn't go0ne the way they'd prefer.

I still don't see it as weak really, I just see it as someone who crys. That is weakness in your eyes perhaps.

And yes I have met many people who seem to read to much into conversations, but once again that's just the way some folk are, I bet I have done it, probably you too (not the crying bit that I remember) but that was probably in a relationship and that of course can be it's own emotional whirlwind.

which would make it an acknowledgement or admission of some sort of failure, then. And probably, also some sort of last-ditch attempt at emotional blackmail.

When someone can't get the result they want via fair means and has to resort to underhand means, that's not a strength but the opposite.

or they are just crying.

I'm sure many people have different ways to handle something like that, stomping off, getting angry.

The crying thing is interesting. At work I deal with some deeply unpleasant people face to face but more so on the phone. While I've managed to come through those conversations thus far without crying, there have been a couple of times where at the end of that phone call I have burst into tears. Usually it's frustration, or an emotional release in response to extreme provocation. Maybe others would go for a walk, punch a wall... Crying is a coping mechanism for some and in most cases involuntary I would have thought. I certainly haven't come across anyone who uses tears as a tool of manipulation in a work context, and I would have thought it's fairly easy to spot the manipulation in any other context. So it's not a very effective tactic?

Its been shown that even as babies girls have a lower crying threshold than boys. The response to crying is also different between boys and girls. Girls seek (or are taught to) more catharsis from others while boys tend not to express their emotions. There is a large cultural effect as well, European cultures tend to have a bigger gender difference.

As for the Angela Merkel thing... I'm sure shes very aware there is no chance of emotional support from anyone in those discussions.

"When asked who they would turn to first if they were feeling depressed, 71% of men selected their wife whereas only 39% of women selected their husband"

Kind of ties in with the whole crying/catharsis thing.

It's horrid for a parent to be unable to do anything in such circumstances, but media coverage aside, why would you be more concerned about a 20 year old son than a 15 year old daughter? Both have a whacking chance to get killed. The girls are also supposed to get married to some of the fighters asap after their arrival (if I understand the campaign's reasons for getting young girls to join correctly, it's to provide wives and offspring) so they are likely to wind up pregnant in the middle of nowhere at the age of 15. Then, if they survive, they will have to fend for themselves and their children.... I'd be at least as worried for a daughter, if I had one.

And 15 year olds are not adults under UK law.

I meant more concerned than the parents in the article, not more concerned than for a daughter.

I'd be pretty worried if they wanted to enlist anyway.

(It's always a lot clearer in my head than written down lol)