Rate The Debut Albums Of Your Ten Favourite Bands

Guest mrtourette

1. Think of your ten favourite bands. Write their names down.

2. Use wikipedia to find the name of the debut album by that band. If you haven't heard it then ask yourself WHAT AM I DOING LISTING THIS BAND AS MY FAVOURITE BAND WHEN I HAVEN'T EVEN HEARD THEIR DEBUT ALBUM and i) replace band, or ii) listen to the album in question.

3. Rate the album using some kind of numerical valuing system.

4. Let all the other posters know where your rating would sit compared to the other albums by that band. Is it their best? Their worst? Somewhere in the middle? Don't be shy!

5. If one of your alleged favourite bands haven't released an album yet then you are a pretentious prick and your opinons are not valid. If they only have one or two albums you're seriously pushing it.

6. EPs do not count, not even for Tool. Nobody cares if you happen to consider some super-rare EP to be so and so's debut album rather than their actual first long-player that everyone else does, so stop showing off. Just to confirm, Surfer Rosa was Pixies' first album not Come On Pilgrim.

Edited by mrtourette

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead - Pablo Honey: 4/10 - Not a completely worthless album, but there is nothing in it that shows the greatness Radiohead later gain. A few good tracks, but nothing I'd want them to play live in favour of later material. WORST

NIN - Pretty Hate Machine: 7/10 - It's solid, it's entertaining, it's raw, yet with the exception of Something I Can Never Have it's short on subtlety. The anger hasn't got the brilliant control that defines NIN later. 6th/8

Nick Cave - From Her To Eternity: 6/10 - A decent album, with some cracking songs, and Nick Cave's voice shows, but it's got a number of mediocre tracks, and even its best ones don't stand up to the quality of lesser ones on later albums. 11th/15

Talking Heads - Talking Heads 77: 6/10 - A good album, which shows hints of what's to come, but it's let down hugely in comparison to later albums, as it lacks the imaginative and unique percussion style that signified. Lots of quite good tracks, and a bit of variety, but you can hear that the band still haven't quite found what they want to do yet. 6th/8

Sonic Youth - Confusion is Sex: 7/10 - Raw, invasive and dominant, this is still an excellent album, but like NIN, the band haven't yet developed the subtlety to temper it down and create truly great work. 9th/16

Soundgarden - Ultramega OK: 5/10 - It's got a bit to recommend it, being early Soundgarden, and there are some good songs on it, but it doesn't sound quite right, in any way, and it seems as if the band feel that too. 6th/6

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem: 9/10 - Complex, pretentious lyrics, 2 discs completely filled with long songs, the lively beats and incredibly grooves turned a recipe for failure into something amazing. A truly brilliant album. 2nd/3

Massive Attack - Blue Lines: 9/10 - A beautiful start to trip-hop, filled with gorgeous tracks and intense vocals. Surpassed with their next 2 albums, but that's more a credit to how good those were than a criticism of this. 3rd/5

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys: 3/10 - This is pretty poor. If it had the non-album singles they released around the same time it'd be up to 5or6/10, but the songs left here just aren't good ones. Nothing about this shows the eerie beauty of their next album or the variety of their subsequent work. On the plus side, it's not The Top. 11th/13

Daft Punk - Homework: 8/10 - Fuck yes. I don't care that everyone else has gone off them, I still love them, and this record is a lot of the reason why. Lively, just weird enough to be interesting, and part of a lasting change to the European house scene for the better, but that has still aged well. 2nd/4

Edited by kaosmark2

1) The Cure, Three Imaginary Boys - 4

2) The Clash, The Clash - 7

3) Pixies, Surfer Rosa - 7

4) Queens of the Stone Age, Queens of the Stone Age - 7

5) The Cribs, The Cribs - 6

6) Joy Division, Unknown Pleasures - 10

7) Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath - 7

8 ) Foals, Antidotes - 9

9) Arctic Monkeys, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - 8

10) Sonic Youth, Confusion is Sex - 5

Edited by MattDavies__

Arcade Fire - Funeral (10)

Dinosaur Jr. - Dinosaur (6)

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (10)

The Libertines - Up the Bracket (9)

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - From Her to Eternity (7)

Pearl Jam - Ten (9)

Pixies - Surfer Rosa (10)

Queens of the Stone Age - Queens of the Stone Age (8.0)

Radiohead - Pablo Honey (3)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (7)

Something like this. Was kinda hard picking ten clear favourite bands though.

Edited by dentalplan

Arcade Fire - Funeral (10)

Muse - Showbiz (8)

The Prodigy - Experience (5)

Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky (8)

Pixies - Surfer Rosa (9)

Pearl Jam - Ten (10)

The White Stripes - Eponymous (8)

White Lies - To Lose My Life (8)

Editors - The Back Room (7)

Green Day - 39/Smooth (4)

Something like this. Was kinda hard picking ten clear favourite bands though.

Arctic Monkeys – Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not - 9/10 Their second best album behind Humbug

Libertines – Up The Bracket - 10/10 Their best album

Muse – Showbiz - 9/10 Their second best album behind OOS

Radiohead – Pablo Honey - 4/10 Their worst album

The Beatles – Please Please Me - 6/10 One of their worst

Arcade Fire – Funeral - 10/10 Their best album

Weezer – Weezer - 9/10 Their second best album behind Pinkerton

Oasis – Definitely Maybe - 9/10 Their best album

Daft Punk – Homework - 8/10 Their second best album behind Discovery

Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures - 10/10 That and Closer are as good as each other

Narrowing this down to 10 was a bitch. If I look at this tomorrow, I'd have probably changed my mind on who my top 10 are

I have a definite 4 favourite acts, but other "10 favs" change a lot. I skipped a few options like Flaming Lips where I hardly listen to their debut, or Floyd where a lineup change has triggered a phenomenal change in style since, and generally avoided acts where I only like one or two albums worth of material however much I like it (often because they only have 1 or 2).

Bright Eyes – A collection of songs written and recorded 1995-1997 – Incredibly raw album (recorded in Oberst’s basement when he was about 15-17). The recording quality is very poor throughout and it lacks the maturity of the later albums but there are glimpses of the edge and talent in song writing that develops a lot more in later albums. Worst of the 8. 6/10

Talking Heads – 77 – Good album, superseded by the superior work with Eno but still has some quality tunes and is a very authentic album. It provided great influence to the 80s new-wave sound but wasn’t a match for the work with Eno to follow. 5th/8. 7/10

Radiohead – Pablo Honey – Decent enough album, got some brilliant songs on it but compared to the innovative and amazing work to follow it, it doesn’t come close. Worst of the 8. 5/10

Eels – Beautiful Freak – Brilliant album, extremely diverse and experimental for a debut and highlights all the best aspects of Eels’ work straight away. Second only to Blinking Lights. 9/10

White Stripes – The White Stripes – The rawest of their albums, pretty minimalist and simple but some great riffs and still a very exciting album. 4th/6. 7/10

Massive Attack – Blue Lines – Amazing album, some incredible tunes and great variety. As kasomark said, a top start to trip-hop. 2nd/5. 9/10

LCD Soundsystem – LCD Soundsystem – A fantastic album, overshadowed by me by how often I listen to Sound of Silver instead, but each track on the album is still highly exuberant, well written and simply, fun. 2nd/3. 8/10

Grandaddy – Under the Western Feeeway – A lovely relaxed album with some fantastic progressive tracks and beautiful vocals. Not quite as weird and experimental as some of the later albums but still a stunning album. 3nd/4. 9/10

The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground and Nico – Need I say more? Best of the 5. 10/10

The Clash – The Clash – A great edgy punk classic. A relatively basic album but it has so much energy to it. 3rd/6. 8/10

RHCP - RHCP: 1/10

QOTSA - QOTSA: 4/10

Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky: 7/10

The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish: 8/10

Nirvana - Bleach: 8/10

Dinosaur Jr - Dinosaur Jr: 6/10

Pearl Jam - Ten: 9/10

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses: 9/10

The White Stripes - The White Stripes: 7/10

The Strokes - Is This It: 9/10

Just did 10 bands I really enjoy, not all my favourite and it always changes anyway so it doesn't matter

Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky - 10 (Favourite Biffy album)

Enter Shikari - Take To The Skies - 10 (aww fuck it! I LOVE THIS ALBUM!)

Queens Of The Stone Age - Queens Of The Stone Age - 7

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine - 7

Arcade Fire - Funeral - 10

A Day To Remember - And Their Name Was Treason - 6

Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings - 6

Foals - Antidotes - 9

Arcane Roots - Blood & Chemistry - 9

The Libertines - Up The Bracket - 9

One of my favourite bands is letlive but I haven't listened to their debut but I've not heard great things from it and they don't play any of it live any more so I haven't listened to it yet. There are some other bands that I prefer and for some reason I haven't listened to their debut :P

Will need to check them out sometime

Edited by justanothername

In no particular order;

Incubus - fungus amongus - 3 - science was the album that grabbed me.

Slipknot -Slipknot - 8

Linkin park - hybrid theory - 10

Enter shikari - take to the skies - 9

FFAF - casually dressed - 9

You me at six - take off your colours - 5

Fightstar - grand unification - 7

We are the ocean - cutting our teeth - 6 - ep was so much better

Ben Howard - every kingdom - 9

The used - self titled - 7

1. Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky 10/10
  2. Editors - The Back Room 8/10
  3. Kanye West - The College Dropout 9/10