Camplight - Pre-pitched 2nd Hand Tents

Gnomicide

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heard of this until I read this thread.

Seems like a good idea but totally agree that it could and should be run by GF and not an outside company.

Can see this being fazed in over the coming years with other areas of the site being given over in pockets so as to give people an option of where to stay and not completely take over what is seen by many as the prime camping spots such as pennards.

Quality of tents should be guaranteed tho which doesn't seem to be the case.

But then if the whole of the festival was set up like this (as is ME's dream supposedly), with each field managed in this way, then it would mean an extra £40 on everyones ticket, but a guarantee of no mess at the end.

Is that a price worth paying for mess-free campsites? It would mean potentially pricing out people who might leave a meticulously clean area.

I think that would suck - there are those of us who are responsible and decent and we should be allowed to carry on as we were. but it still makes sense for this to expand and sop up some of the idiots

christ only knows where the line should be, as long as we walk up to ir rather than run i'm sure i'll work out

I ranted about this last year ...

... and I seem to remember being on the receiving end of possibly rather more than my fair share of it as well :P Must admit I was hoping that maybe they would get more space this time but elsewhere on site. I was kinda expecting perhaps an entire small(ish) field somewhere be turned over to them as it apparently all worked out well last year.

I'm still not entirely convinced that it's all a guaranteed good thing long term but in principle I think it is and it did seem to work. I've never left so much as a fag end lying around on site but if I was still going to Glasto these days then I'd certainly be interested in using them as I always travel everywhere I go by public transport. Much as I love Ye Olde Tent and would even kinda miss it so to speak after several decades of admirable service, travelling without a stupidly heavy and bulky antique small tent would definitely be a welcome bonus. However, as you say campsites are all about location.location.location ... but the funny thing is *my* 'prime location' couldn't be further away from Pennards as it's almost exactly the complete opposite end of the site :lol: I wouldn't ever choose to be camped up on Pennards, whether there was a tent sat waiting for me or otherwise. Apart from being closer to PGA, I prefer somewhere relatively quiet and I rather like the long wander right across the site back to Ye Olde Tent for a couple of hours kip at stupid o'clock in the morning as it's getting light anyway. A gentle wind down so to speak. Not interested in party stylee areas or being near the action or whatever as I only ever use the campsite just a few hours a day for somewhere to crash out. Wouldn't want to be back at the tent any longer than necessary as there's always far better places to be !

• 5 months later...

anyone use these this year? Got an email with my confirmation offering this as a camping option yesterday when we got our tickets.

If you book the double mattress option presumably you get a big enough tent for someone who is 6'2"?

Is their site at the end of Pennards nearest the Stone Circle? that's where we used to camp when we first went.

Edited by 5co77ie

4 of us used this last year, 1 two man tent was £70 & very good, 1 one man tent was £40 and rubbish (leaked, but the staff put a tarpaulin over it), 1 pop up tent was £30 and also rubbish (very leaky) and a guest spot (£25)

£165 all in (more for beds & sleeping bags)

this year I've booked 2 two man tents (only 2 of us got tickets last night) and would continue to use this as it takes a lot of grief out of travelling from Aberdeen on public transport.

the staff are super friendly, the overall vibe was far superior to Tangerine Fields which I've also used (but not at glastonbury) it was directly below the security spot, so was noisy all night but there were some very entertaining stories coming from the walkie talkies.

I do love an active walkie talkie in the night.

thanks for your response.... decisions, decisions.

obviously I'd recommend not spending less than £70 for a tent, unless you can guarantee no rain.

and yeah, a wee bit down from the stone circle, just in front of the teepees (6 music teepee was right behind us)

Edited by POKERDUDE

we usually come by campervan, I've not done a tent for years. I certainly wouldn't bring my own, so this is an option.

The wife got the tickets yesterday, first time she's got them since 1990, when we went by coach from Taunton, which we're doing this year. So it's a bit of a 25th anniversary revolution (goes around comes around) I guess. We also used to camp at the back of Pennards (but not until after the first couple of years in front of Pyramid), so it would be a bit of a trip down memory lane - never got any sleep mind.

tempted by this....

I dont know the festival at all so I have two questions about the location:

1. Is it in a place which will flood??

2. Is it in an area close to all the main stages (by that I mean is it a long walk to any of them?)

1. Well the whole of Somerset could potentially flood if there's enough water - but no, it's at the top end of the field.

2. it's a long walk to some of them from wherever you are. You're nearest to ShangriLa, The Park, Arcvadia, and Other Stage.

From what I've managed to deduce you're located where the red dot is above the Tipi Field - bottom middle of this map.

glasto-sitemap-2014full.jpg

Edited by 5co77ie

tempted by this....

I dont know the festival at all so I have two questions about the location:

1. Is it in a place which will flood??

2. Is it in an area close to all the main stages (by that I mean is it a long walk to any of them?)

1) I've seen people on here saying it's in a flood risk area, but ?I think that's bollocks, it's on a hill, there wasn't even any mud after the downpour this year

2) it's a fair walk to the main stages, took about 45 mins to get to the the John Peel, Pyramid is about half an hour walk when busy (and it's always busy)

Edited by POKERDUDE

4 of us used this last year, 1 two man tent was £70 & very good, 1 one man tent was £40 and rubbish (leaked, but the staff put a tarpaulin over it), 1 pop up tent was £30 and also rubbish (very leaky) and a guest spot (£25)

£165 all in (more for beds & sleeping bags)

this year I've booked 2 two man tents (only 2 of us got tickets last night) and would continue to use this as it takes a lot of grief out of travelling from Aberdeen on public transport.

the staff are super friendly, the overall vibe was far superior to Tangerine Fields which I've also used (but not at glastonbury) it was directly below the security spot, so was noisy all night but there were some very entertaining stories coming from the walkie talkies.

if unfortunately your second 2 man is not used - let me know - they're out of stock of those already. I'd be happy to take it off you should it not be needed (subject to the Mrs agreeing obviously).

Edited by 5co77ie

1) I've seen people on here saying it's in a flood risk area, but ?I think that's bollocks, it's on a hill, there wasn't even any mud after the downpour this year

The only area that properly flooded was the very bottom of pennard's hill right up against the railway track, it's all crew camping now so you're safe anywhere really.

It got pretty icky by the John Peel, but again only the very bottom small area and nothing like the bottom of pennards.

When we say bottom we mean height wise - it's the top of pennards on the map