Pukkelpop 2014

TheNewUnion

I'm sure Rossi gets mistaken for Francis all the time. I bet he's used to it and will probably play a medley of Paper Plane / Down Down / You're in the Army Now mid-set, just so as not to disappoint the legion of Quo fans who will turn up by mistake, thumbs ready-cocked in jeans belts.

We should have organised that....

@Semprini

We are on the 10:25 from Manchester on Wednesday so in Brussels about 1pm then however long ti takes to get to the hotel.Going to the Boiler Party but will be around Hasselt before and after for a beer

Yeesh Portishead v Kanvinsky's a nasty one for me, but ultimately it's going to be Portishead. FKA Twigs & Mat Zo is pretty annoying. Also bummed that Röyksopp and The National have like an hour of overlap, think I'll go for the National's full set though...
Janelle Monáe overlaps with Jungle which is unfortunate, and there's a few more partial overlaps I'm not fond of (Flume/Cashmere Cat) but overall this is a pretty decent timetable right? Had a lot more clashes and run-all-the-way-across-the-field moments in past years.

Also digging how the DJ sets in Castello have clearly caught on from last year, Ryan Hemsworth & Cashmere Cat on day 1, and day 3 has a bunch in sequence with Dusky and Tensnake so sounds like a UK garage kinda deal that night. Will be spending a lot of time in that tent, just hope they can cool it properly for once!! :)

Devastating news. Although, seeing as it's Rick that's unwell, hopefully Francis will still be up for his scheduled DJ set.

Couple of bits of info that may be of use to those of you coming from the UK:

If you're on contract with Vodafone, they have an add on called Eurotraveller. It's £2 a day and that allows you to use your normal monthly package as if you were at home (minutes, texts and data). Spoke to them the other day to arrange it and they also confirmed that it covers calls to non-UK numbers. I've got a few Belgian and Dutch friends I'll need to call and text whilst there and I'll be able to do that using my contract allowance. You only get charged for each day you make a call, send a text or use data and that covers you up to midnight. It'll cost me £10 for the whole trip, which is considerably less than what I had to pay when I got my bill after last year:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/travelling-abroad/vodafone-eurotraveller/index.htm?cid=ps-car-auto/h/lzy/qbzvozndqeeqz

Also, if you haven't got your Euros yet then Tesco do a click and collect service. I ordered mine online on Saturday and then picked them up at my local store yesterday. I got 123.1 to the £ and it was 1.22 in store:

https://travelmoney.tescobank.com/tb/wallet/options.aspx

@Snorefest: Yeah, got a lot of love for the Castello (Chateau). Was one of my favourite stages from the very first year I went but the late night DJ sets they've had of late really are superb. Bit of a more discerning crowd compared to the Boiler and Dance Hall as many of the bands and DJs are pretty left field and often require some research to get into.

Hardly the greatest of forecasters, but Accuweather have a long term that covers the festival

http://www.accuweather.com/en/be/hasselt/29314/august-weather/29314

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/BX/Hasselt.html has chance of rain and rain

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/belgium/limburg/hasselt looks mostly OK

Upshot, probably too early but signs are it could be somewhere between a bit damp and more rainy than not.

Has anyone done rainy Pukkelpop? The storm was exceptional circumstances, but that aside all the others I have done have been dry. How does the ground hold up?

Hardly the greatest of forecasters, but Accuweather have a long term that covers the festival

http://www.accuweather.com/en/be/hasselt/29314/august-weather/29314

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/BX/Hasselt.html has chance of rain and rain

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/14-day-weather-trend/belgium/limburg/hasselt looks mostly OK

Upshot, probably too early but signs are it could be somewhere between a bit damp and more rainy than not.

Has anyone done rainy Pukkelpop? The storm was exceptional circumstances, but that aside all the others I have done have been dry. How does the ground hold up?

Besides 2011 it's always held up well, although none of the other 10 I've been to have been consistently rainy. I remember a really heavy downpour in 1996 while watching Weezer playing the Main stage, and a few short sharp rainstorms in 2005, but other than that it's only ever been light showers. By and large the soil is quite sandy and drains easily though, so (touches wood) it shouldn't be an issue.

This one is in Dutch - http://www.weeronline.nl/Europa/Belgie/Hasselt/4055711 - but is basically only predicting 'chance of a shower' (for Wed and Fri) and 'rain now and again' (Thu)... At the moment. It will change between now and then as the picture gets clearer.

A Belgian friend I meet every year told me that there have been mud baths at PKP but she was going back to the 90's. I remember back in 2007 (or maybe 2008) when we had some rain they quickly put down straw and wood chippings over the main walkways so it wasn't an issue. Looking at the weather reports, what could be an problem is rain in the days running up to the start. If the ground is damp and then it rains more on Thursday it will quickly get churned up with all the traffic. The reports do seem to contradict each other though so I'll reserve judgment until the start of next week. Unless things take a considerable turn for the worse, I'll be once again leaving the wellies (I don't own) at home.

@Trufflehound: Spoke to Steve at the weekend and he told me you were taking the train?!? I did doubt this as there (of course) isn't a direct line to Hasselt from Eindhoven, so pleased to hear you'll both be cycling again. I trust there will be some pit stops for refreshments along the way??

Still got a few decisions to make on clashes, although I'll probably just wait and see where I am and who I'm with at the time. Definitely going with Cut Copy over Dan Croll on Thursday though as the latter is coming to my home city in November. Well up for St Lucia, Paul Woolford and Redlight early doors before the start of a lovely run with Mo, Gorgon City, Clean Bandit, Jungle, Janelle Monae, Temples, Outkast and Klangkarussell. Not sure between Atomic Bomb and Black Lips (probably the former) but then it's Flume, Cashmere Cat and Disclosure all the way!

Friday day time is looking pretty smooth in terms of transitions: The Bohicas - Solina - Drenge - Boy and Bear - Kadavar. Bit gutted about Breach and The Amazing Snakeheads clashing, especially as the second half of his DJ set overlaps with Dub FX (who I can't wait to see). Will probably mean I miss The Cat Empire, which is disappointing as I've enjoyed listening to their album. Sad about the fact that I probably won't see James Holden either as Sub Focus and Nina Kraviz are both in my top 10. Got about 5 different bands/DJs I want to see from 11pm onwards but no chance of catching them all - will make the call at the time (although Andy C is a dead cert for at least an hour).

Nothing major I want to see first thing on Saturday until Drumsound and Baseline Smith. Will probably spend a good bit of the day wandering as there's quite a few I'm interested in seeing (Mapei, Submotion Orchestra, Arthur Beatrice, Rockwell) until Tourist hits the Castello. That'll pretty much be me for the rest of the night, aside from quick journts to the Marquee, Main and Club for Kelis, Snoop and St Vincent respectively.

Having said all that, there's quite a few other variables aside from the music on offer to throw into the equation so who knows what will happen?? ;) Got large chunks of all three days last year that I can't account for so I doubt this time will be any different!

Enough of my rambling, here's a few video's of tunes I can't wait to hear NEXT WEEK!!!!!

As if I needed anymore encouragement to be in the Dance Hall for this:

Feel free to add your own!

@Trufflehound: Spoke to Steve at the weekend and he told me you were taking the train?!? I did doubt this as there (of course) isn't a direct line to Hasselt from Eindhoven, so pleased to hear you'll both be cycling again. I trust there will be some pit stops for refreshments along the way??

Not sure between Atomic Bomb and Black Lips (probably the former) ...

Not sure how Steve got that idea. Probably some 'Chinese Whispers' effect occurring in between an email exchange between our respective wives, and how the news gets passed on to us men...

There used to be a direct railway line, but they ripped up the tracks and the route is now the cycle path that we follow - which is great as it doesn't follow the road at all until the last few km before Hasselt. And yes, there will be 'one or two' refreshment stops. That's one reason we now set out a day early on Tuesday, so we can take our time going down and enjoy the 'scenery' along the way...!

I'd suggest going for Atomic Bomb. We saw Black Lips at BKS last year. They were OK, nothing more...

This weather report doesn't look to bad.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Hasselt/forecasts/latest

Looks like showers on Thursday, but if that's all we get and the ground is OK when everyone arrives then might not be too bad. 50/50 on putting the waterproof pants in the bag next week. Better to have and not need than need and not have I suppose!

Excitement building a bit now, little warm up this weekend as I won tickets to a gig in a field in Scotland (Deacon Blue, Hue and Cry, The Bluebells), a bit "nostalgia-fest" but bouncing along to Labour of Love, Looking for Linda, Dignity, Real Gone Kid, Twist and Shout (not forgetting Young at Heart) should be a good laugh!

Edited by TheNewUnion

Not long off now! Still hoping the weather will turn a bit more cooperative; cloudy would be great already. :) Just saw that Kiesza cancelled, but the replacement is pretty good too!

Who are y'all looking forward to most? I'm particularly excited for Forest Swords, Say Lou Lou, Submotion Orchestra, Darkside and Portishead. Noticed they slightly altered some timeslots so now I can catch the end of Kavinsky after Portishead too, which is real neat!

So I just downloaded the free e-train ticket but I'm kind of confused on how it works. Do I just jump on the train taking me to Hasselt/Kiewit whenever I want or do I somehow have to specify at which time I want to travel beforehand? I'm travelling from Brussels Airport.

Yeah pretty much! It's valid the entire day, no need to specify times. There are a few exceptions, like you can't go on 'special' trains like Thalys/Fyra/ICE (basically all the high speed ones) because for that people reserve in advance. Also it's only allowing you to go in 2nd class coaches.

One annoying thing though is that it looks you're going to have to pay a fee, since you're coming from Brussells National Airport? Quote from the website: Travellers who have Brussel-Nationaal-Luchthaven as departure or destination station still have to pay the Diabolo fee.

Not sure what that additionial 'diabolo' fee is and how it works though, sounds like some kinda airport tax thing. But just ask at a desk or something?

Yeah pretty much! It's valid the entire day, no need to specify times. There are a few exceptions, like you can't go on 'special' trains like Thalys/Fyra/ICE (basically all the high speed ones) because for that people reserve in advance. Also it's only allowing you to go in 2nd class coaches.

One annoying thing though is that it looks you're going to have to pay a fee, since you're coming from Brussells National Airport? Quote from the website: Travellers who have Brussel-Nationaal-Luchthaven as departure or destination station still have to pay the Diabolo fee.

Not sure what that additionial 'diabolo' fee is and how it works though, sounds like some kinda airport tax thing. But just ask at a desk or something?

Okay, good. And yeah, I saw that whole diabolo fee thing too, but it seems that you can pay the fee on board with no surcharge so it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Just seen that they've given Disclosure an extra 20 minutes, which is now slightly longer than Deadmau5's set. Still not sure how it's going to pan out with them playing the Dance Hall - my gut feeling is that there will be far too many people there and it'll be very difficult to get anywhere near the tent. Think I'll position myself near the exit in the Castello during Cashmere Cat so I can see the Dance Hall. Should be able to keep an eye on the crowd and then head over early if it's looking busy. May also end up being the case that I'm completely battered by that time and I'm rolling around on the floor in the Wablief!!

Would be appropriate -- the bewildered, Belgian spectators will wonder to themselves: wablief?!

What does Wablief mean/translate as? We asked a couple of people and got a couple of different answers, at the moment I'm thinking it's a kind of what's happening/what's going on (wagwan) type greeting, but expect I'm as wrong as can be.

Edited by TheNewUnion

What does Wablief mean/translate as? We asked a couple of people and got a couple of different answers, at the moment I'm thinking it's a kind of what's happening/what's going on (wagwan) type greeting, but expect I'm as wrong as can be.

It's an expression of mild uncomprehending surprise, like "Do what?" "You what?" "Come again?" or suchlike. Or even if you simply didn't catch what the other person said and want them to repeat.

Edited by Trufflehound
  • Upvote 1