World cup at Glasto

Guest thesaint78

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. See that whopper above saying he'll just leave the festival early on the sunday so he doesnt miss a match? What a waste.

Still, who are we to tell others how they should spend their glastonbury experience I suppose.

I'd much rather share the festival with someone like you than someone like them though that's for sure.

I'm a big football fan, World Cup in particular, but I wouldn't choose a match on a Sat/Sun over the music at Glastonbury but I certainly don't blame those who do. World Cup is like Glastonbury for football fans (probably vice versa actually) and an experience just like the festival and of course those interests are gonna overlap for a lot of people.

I'd absolutely relish watching the game on Wed/Thu as a 'Glastonbury experience' as I'll be sitting around drinking closeby on those days anyway so I don't see it as being against the spirit or whatever.

I'm a big football fan, World Cup in particular, but I wouldn't choose a match on a Sat/Sun over the music at Glastonbury but I certainly don't blame those who do. World Cup is like Glastonbury for football fans (probably vice versa actually) and an experience just like the festival and of course those interests are gonna overlap for a lot of people.

I'd absolutely relish watching the game on Wed/Thu as a 'Glastonbury experience' as I'll be sitting around drinking closeby on those days anyway so I don't see it as being against the spirit or whatever.

I guess it is just galling for people who dont have a ticket, to read that people are going to be leaving the festival early just to see a football match.

Modern football to me seems to be the complete opposite of what glastonbury stands for. And to see someone consider football more important that glastonbury is heartbreaking.

It was like that fellow last year who said they were going to leave glastonbury for a night to go and see kasabian play in london.

Astonishing and depressing stuff

I guess it is just galling for people who dont have a ticket, to read that people are going to be leaving the festival early just to see a football match.

Modern football to me seems to be the complete opposite of what glastonbury stands for. And to see someone consider football more important that glastonbury is heartbreaking.

It was like that fellow last year who said they were going to leave glastonbury for a night to go and see kasabian play in london.

I've been going to Glastonbury since 1997 and in all that time I think there's only been three England Euro / World Cup games that have clashed with festival (probably because we keep getting knocked out so early!) - they've all been shown somewhere.

England vs Colombia in 1998 was shown in the cinema field (I think). It rained more than it usually does in the whole of June in the two hours of the game!

England vs Portugal was shown at the Pyramid stage in 2004 as it was on the Wednesday or Thursday - there must have been 60,000 people watching (which goes to show that a lot of people don't mind mixing Glastonbury and football)! It was carnage when we equalised with minutes to go before we inevitably lost on penalities - still it was probably the easiest time to take a penalty defeat - when you've got the whole of Glasto to look forward to!

England vs Germany in 2010 was shown in a few locations on the outskirts of the site. It was a decent atmosphere despite the fact Germany played us off the park!

I think they also showed the 2002 world cup final between Germany and Brazil on the Pyramid stage as it was in Japan so was on in the morning.

I seem to remember one of the charging tents showed the majority of the games in the 2010 world cup.

There's no need to leave the site if you want to watch the world cup!

I some ways i hope we don't qualify, just because it messes with Glastonbury. Very unpatriotic i know, but they really have dragged us thorugh the mire over the past years and the thought of choosing to miss a band i like becuase of an England match disturbs me greatly. The fact that it is going to be there is just off putting. I never gave in in 2010 and i won't next year. We won't do anything anyway!

If there's an England game on during the festival it will be shown. It's not in anyone's interest to have thousands of people leaving the site trying to find a pub.

Personally, I managed with a radio in 1986 (v Argentina) and 1990 (v Egypt) and could do so again if required. Young people can't seem to enjoy football on the radio for some reason ;)

The only thing that would stop me watching is if it's late on Sunday, giving me a slender chance of getting home the following day while avoiding the score.