Why has Glastonbury got so popular?

Guest tinytim270183

definitely social media combined with it being a good weather year last time around...

weird as it sounds I'd like the ticketing process to be a bit more of a commitment, all sold out so quickly and it's far better to have those willing to put up with a 4hr slog to get through instead of the one-off types

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did went to Glastonbury for the first time last year. It was something I'd seen on tv and though it looked amazing over the years. It was new mates who'd been several times which actually encouraged me to overcome the concept of 5 days without a shower. Despite roughing it travelling, I was used to having swims in waterfalls or the ocean. The horror stories of the toilets had also been a bit of a deterrent. Several months in South East Asia helped with my OCD on that front.

The stories of amazing adventures, discovering quirky little places, and experiences of seeing an eclectic mix of music is what really appealed to me.

It was an awesome 5 days. The excitement and friendliness of those who were waiting in line in the early hours of Wednesday morning sharing their stories of previous years created a really nice atmosphere.

What I hadn't picked up within the media is how diverse the festival is. By walking 10 minutes, you can go from the buzz of the main stages to the acoustic tent or the Green fields, another 10 minute walk and you're in the naughty corner. I had no idea that the quality and variety of food would be so good (a bit pricey) and not just burgers, hot dogs and chips.

My parent's who will be celebrating retirement next year are going for the first time and are unbelievably excited (they refer to it as growing old disgracefully).

I've been going to festivals for many years, and as I've got older, I feel like I've changed and my music taste has changed so that I feel now I fit they 'glasto demographic'. I'm too old for the shouty American shit at Leeds and want to see if Glastonbury is all it's cracked up to be.

On why glastonbury and festivals in general are so popular now, I think it's the popularisation and acceptance of alternative culture. And I blame oasis for that. Twats

Old fashioned word of mouth is still attracting plenty of newbies. For example, me and the gf went this year (gf was a first-timer and it was the first time since 2002 for me) and were chatting about it to my brother and his wife not long afterwards.

I found out last week that him and his wife got tickets on T-Day (as did we). Although it would have been nice of him to mention he was trying!

I think the deposit scheme impacts quite a bit (though I wouldn't change it!) - its very easy for most people to 'commit' to buying a ticket if they only have to pay £50, knowing that they can get most of it back if they change their mind.

I agree with what many other people have said anyhow - that festivals are more mainstream now and Glastonbury is the biggest and most promoted of the lot.

• 5 weeks later...

My first was in 95. Only went because the Roses were supposed to headline. Had the weekend of my life - sun shone the whole weekend too.

Wasn't on in 96 so went back in 97. Mud hell. Trench foot blah blah. Still had a blast but didn't go back again..

The last few years I have watched the BBC coverage and said next year I,m going back and bringing husband who's a Glastonbury virgin.

Finally got tickets this time around. Can't wait.

I agree with Word of mouth - more and more people are going so thats more people to go and tell their friends how amazing Glastonbury is so then they want to go and see for themselves, plus the people who have been before generally want to go again - means an increase in people.

The age range of Glastonbury is a key point too. A lot of the other festivals have an unofficial age limit or are not very kid friendly - I no longer go to the Reading, Leeds, Vs etc that I maybe would have done when I was younger. Im only 31 but feel old at these type of festivals now - People setting off gas canisters on the last nights of Reading/ Leeds didnt help! However with Glastonbury it covers the whole spectrum of age ranges - This is a bigger pot of people who want tickets than the other UK festivals

It also boils down to the fact that Glastonbury is totally bloody amazing!!

I suppose the question is - is it a problem for the organisers? Not really - it's a great product with a great following - bigged up by the BBC and the Guardian. Back in the late 70s and early 80s the 'normal' populace recoiled in horror when you told them where you had spent the weekend

Edited by glasto-worker

I was speaking to one of my friends about this actually at the weekend and our drunken conclusion was it was the channel 4 tv coverage that started off the festivals mainstream popularity (in 94/95). Those years also had largely ace weather and, added to the general brit-pop hype going on in the country and headliners like oasis, put the festival into the mainstream.

Even the wet years of 97 and 98 looked good on telly as they made it look like a challenge to endure, plus things like the radiohead set being the "best gig ever" made a difference I think.

Then the BBC took over in 2000 (I think?) which was again brilliant weather and bowies performance was just the icing on the cake. I remember even my mum asking if I'd seen life on mars as it had made her cry on the telly..

Then along came internet forums like this one and glastonbury was known to everyone.

By, in my opinion, 2004 the tipping point occurred where the festival crowd was made up of more "mainstream" people than not.

I dunno, I feel like there are VIP camping areas everywhere these days. Loads of cut throughs have gone. And of course the outdoor cinema field, pennards, dragon. They're everywhere! Tens of thousands of the c**ts it feels like to me.

And have you ever been backstage between pyramid and other? its VAST!

yeh I guess, I;ve only been back there once but I guess it cant really ever have expanded. But add that bit to all the other areas on site and there must be loads of them.

What really irritates me is they have these massive camping areas and when you look through a crack in their heavily guarded security fences, the tents arent tightly grouped at all. They could have half the space that is allocated and still all fit in there.