Thoughts on children at glasto?

Guest Tr234

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do I need to learn more tolerance? I only posted my opinion on a forum, I said before to someone that if I was intolerant, I would've been kicking off at the festival, which I didn't because I know it is part of the festival and I can't change that nor would I even want to change it tbh.

Why do I need to learn more tolerance? I only posted my opinion on a forum, I said before to someone that if I was intolerant, I would've been kicking off at the festival, which I didn't because I know it is part of the festival and I can't change that nor would I even want to change it tbh.

One of my best moments this year involved a child (bear with me!). We were in animal costumes at Dizzee and a little girl, maybe 6 to 8 or was dressed as a pig and stood transfixed at us being silly. After a few minutes her mum brought her over and we all had a dance and a photo, she looked like she was going to explode with happiness.

Edited by Joeskeppi

I don't have kids and none were camped near me, but one of the most beautiful moments this year was the little bee that came over and pollinated my arm with glitter in the Circus field.

Kids add innocence and magic to the festival. If I had any then my only concern about taking them would be selfish.

we took ours to glasto when they were young and to other smaller festis when very young no probs loved it.

this year i had a great feeling every time i saw a couple [ or just a single ] pulling there kids in those little trucks shared a beer with this bloke while his misses had a wee ...all respect to them funniest one was these little kids trying to sell there last lolly for 50p lol gave them 50p told them to keep the lolly ...wander how many people did the same and how much they made ..

yea glastos a great festi for kids they learn alot and have a great time imo

still no smilies any one help ??

Edited by guypjfreak

We took our 9 year old son and he loved every minute of it. He even came up to the SE corner this year for a look around, we tried to take him into heaven (wasn't going to take him raving he just wanted to look around) but he was too young apparently which was no problem we gave him our camera and let him loose to take photos of what ever he wanted. This was his second Glastonbury, we took him in 2010 and then he wanted to stay in the kids field most of the time, this year being a bit older he didn't spend much time there, he was quite happy sitting with us at west Holts mostly playing with his diabolo (he even drew a little crowd from time to time and the odd cheer too)

and spinning plate.

Infact he said something which will stay with me for a very long time "I love Glastonbury I can be myself here. At school people make fun of me because I'm a bit different, but here everyones so nice!"

Massive problem too with getting time off for him next year. We've written a letter already hopefully know something soon.

I've mixed views on this and hope I don't get shot down for some of my thoughts.

I love music and hopefully have passed on some of that love to my daughters (now in their late 20s).

It's also great to see kids enjoying themselves at festivals.

But I wonder if the scale of Glastonbury might be a bit much for some very small kids plus, as we've seen from some comments, some people can be a bit intolerant of the space kids need and accommodating pushchairs etc.

So I would ask whether parents who take very young children to Glasto are really doing it because they want the kids to enjoy the experience or because they just want to go themselves so convince themselves that the kids will love it.

There are lots of smaller, less crowded festivals that are ideal for young children. I particularly enjoy the Croissant Neuf Summer Party where I would happily take a babe in arms or a toddler. Lots of space, no rammed areas, and loads of activities geared around small children. But Glasto, much as I love it, I'm not so sure about.

In your OP you said it really annoyed you, now it only annoys you a little. It clearly annoys you enough to start a thread on a forum days later, I wouldn't describe that as being a little annoyed.

If you are really annoyed by the presence of children when it only inconveniences you mildly then I stand by the fact that you are a bit intolerant and maybe if you recognise it now it may make you a better person (not trying to patronise but understanding when you've got something wrong and modifying future behaviour is IMO one of the markers of a good person).

I didn't call you a twat or a c**t and I do think its regrettable that people jumped to it quite so quickly but it is the Internet and unfortunately something that happens to almost everyone who voices an opinion online (somebody will be along to call me a c**t any minute).

We have been to glastonbury for several years as a couple and for the first time this year we brought our 1 year old. The facilities in the kids field were amazing for feeding, changing and entertaining so no worries there. We had ear defenders and stayed away from the crowds.

I will be honest though, our parents picked him up and took him off site on the Friday for the remainder of the festival and we had actually had more than enough time with him on site. It's hard to avoid crowds and I don't think I would have felt happy dragging him around stages at night when he should have been in bed.

We had the best of both worlds in my opinion and I think any sensible parent would have an amazing time with a little one at the festival without much concern. Our problem was we didn't want to be sensible for the whole 5 nights!!

Brought our 9 month old and she loved it. She has a very curious nature and just loved looking about and being stimulated all the time. The interaction with our mates and perfect strangers had her beaming all day every day for a week. We just took our time and approached the festival very differently from how we would off in the past. It was one of the best Glastonburys I have ever experienced. Glastonbury would not be as special as it is if it was not for kids IMO

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Brought our 9 month old and she loved it. She has a very curious nature and just loved looking about and being stimulated all the time. The interaction with our mates and perfect strangers had her beaming all day every day for a week. We just took our time and approached the festival very differently from how we would off in the past. It was one of the best Glastonburys I have ever experienced. Glastonbury would not be as special as it is if it was not for kids IMO

If your prepared to dedicate your festival to looking after children whatever age then good on you. As a group this topic came up lots when we were there due to the fact we had lots of parents with us but no kids. Some in our group had been taken as children and loved it but the general consensus was that a better time would be had without them. We saw plenty of kids with the bright green ear protectors on and have never seen a cuter sight in our lives. Good on all the parents willing to let their kids see the wonder that is Glastonbury I say!

I wish I had the time to contribute properly to this thread but for my two penneth, we took our two year old this year and she had a ball. And so did her older sisters, older brother and her parents. At no point did I feel we were putting her at risk or exposing her to anything more dangerous than walking down our high street on a Saturday afternoon.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend people take their children, assuming they are responsible enough not to get wasted or put them in danger. Assuming as well that they can handle the tantrum that gets thrown as soon as you arrive home! Hearing "I DON'T LIKE OUR HOUSE. WANT TO GO TO GLASTONBURRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!" can be a tough one to explain, just like the rest of us, they'll have to wait a whole year before they can go back!! ;)

Assuming as well that they can handle the tantrum that gets thrown as soon as you arrive home! Hearing "I DON'T LIKE OUR HOUSE. WANT TO GO TO GLASTONBURRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!" can be a tough one to explain, just like the rest of us, they'll have to wait a whole year before they can go back!! ;)