wimbledon 2013

Guest pink_triangle

Anyone watching?? Good first couple of days and am glad the weather has been good. I would like to see Murray win but cant see past Djokovic who has got a lovely draw. Never seen Nadal looking as flat as yesterday, his form was good (admittedly on other surfaces) and while I didn't expect him to win, I felt he would at least get to the quarter finals.

Its hard to get excited about the womans game when we know everyone is playing for second place. The Williams dominace along with a load supplemented by a load of uncharismatic, ex soviet union players who all merge in to one for me makes it difficult for me to have much interest. I think it really needs a spark and I think Laura Robson could be the lady, I think she has real star power and will be contending for grand slams when serena has gone. Im not convinced by heather Watson who I don't think has the killer instinct to reach the top.

Good example there of why I stay away from Twitter for thé most part. My god what an insufferable dirge of keyboard warriors. As for Murray, he is not going to win any personality awards but some of his tennis has been amazing. Great battle yesterday with Verdasco. A brilliant sporting spectacle. He has got a tough semi and probably an even tougher final if he makes it. If he manages to beat Djokovic to the title he will be a worthy champion. Bit task though. As for the ladies, I put a tenner on Lisicki at 40-1 at the start of Wimbledon. Fingers crossed she does it!

Lisicki V Radwanska possibly match of the tournament for me, its amazing how much more interesting the womans game are when the Williams sisters are out. I personally hope lisicki wins the title as she has had a much tougher draw, but Bartoli would argue you can only beat whats put against you and you don't get to 2 Wimbledon finals by fluke.

Its been a bit of a role reversal this year in Wimbledon with most of the better/more competitive matches being in the womans tournament. The mens tournament has had a few big shocks but far too many straight set matches. Im glad Gary Richardson has got some stick for the Murray interview yesterday, it was amongst the worst I have seen and am glad Murray didn't just take it like many sportsmen would have. I have noticed Richardson seems to have dropped his game (possibly Im just looking out for it more)this year and maybe its time for him to be pensioned off.

Also a little disappointed how the main doubles has been sidelined this year, both by tv and the organisers. I now get the impression that mens invitational doubles is now seen as more worthy of exposure than the mens/woman/mixed double matches. Theres no doubt John McEnroe is a much bigger name than any doubles player in the draw, however I feel that promoting current players should be a priority and grand slams are the only real opportunity for exposure.

Agree with Barry it is expensive, im paying the best part of ten pounds a week for an hours group coaching. Would like to join the club but its about 20 pound a month. Maybe not bad in comparison with gym fees but only covers outdoor courts.

It may be a generally privileged sport here, but definitely not the case worldwide. In areas where more courts are available several have come from.working class backgrounds.

Bartoli may not have had the toughest of draws but you can only beat whats put against you, when interviewed she came across well. I doubt she will ever win another grand slam but you don't reach 2 Wimbledon finals without being a decent player.

I don't know why Inverdale is so obsessed with Bartolis looks, he spent an age discussing it during the quarter final and today is in trouble for the following comment

“Do you think Bartoli’s dad told her when she was little 'You’re never going to be a looker? You’ll never be a Sharapova, so you have to be scrappy and fight.’”

I don't see why its relevant, I haven't heard a single person discussing how handsome murray or djokovic is. I hope this smug idiot is given his marching orders from BBC sport.