Tribes billed lower than last year?

Guest markyboy101

It's not like they have gotten much bigger... everyone talked about them getting a decent slot on main and I never understood it... they still play small venues like the Thekla most of the time.. bands like Lower Than Atlantis have been hitting up much bigger places and yet Tribes are expected to be above them... makes no sense

To be fair, though, most expected them to be around 4th on NME last year before the announcement. They were a decent sized booking for their slot last year, but that's probably because the NME as a whole was really strong. Looking at the NME stage this year, I'd have thought they'd be 3rd/4th down. Especially with a new album coming out. Do they play smaller venues than the likes of City And Colour?

That's not true. If every 'good' band got overlooked then there would be no good bands. exposure and hype means a band appeals to someone and success means they appeal to the masses, which makes them a good band in many people's eyes. If you see my point? Just because certain bands aren't for the purists doesn't mean they aren't good, as their success infers that some people must rate them.

If all bands were given equal exposure, however, the (musical world would be a better place.

Edited by Will-2609

That's not true. If every 'good' band got overlooked then there would be no good bands. exposure and hype means a band appeals to someone and success means they appeal to the masses, which makes them a good band in many people's eyes. If you see my point? Just because certain bands aren't for the purists doesn't mean they aren't good, as their success infers that some people must rate them.

If all bands were given equal exposure, however, the (musical world would be a better place.

They have an album out in May, have sold out a mini-tour of mini venues in february and then sold out a tour of 2012-sized venues in April, and they have even bigger places booked in May, such as the Roundhouse. I know it's a hometown gig but it's still pretty big. Would say they should be higher, especially as that stage is so weak.

it was a tongue in cheek comment, not in general obviously because there are good bands who have made it to the top, but honestly there are a lot of smaller bands that do get overlooked even when they're attempting to get maximum exposure... and a few of these bands are good.

in my opinion of course.

but completely agree with what you say.

just as the old saying goes: "life's a b*tch...."

it was a tongue in cheek comment, not in general obviously because there are good bands who have made it to the top, but honestly there are a lot of smaller bands that do get overlooked even when they're attempting to get maximum exposure... and a few of these bands are good.

in my opinion of course.

but completely agree with what you say.

just as the old saying goes: "life's a b*tch...."

To be fair, though, most expected them to be around 4th on NME last year before the announcement. They were a decent sized booking for their slot last year, but that's probably because the NME as a whole was really strong. Looking at the NME stage this year, I'd have thought they'd be 3rd/4th down. Especially with a new album coming out. Do they play smaller venues than the likes of City And Colour?