flaming lips

Guest russycarps

Oh, what do we all feel now after the latest news? There is still a gap in their tour to play (though I still need to get tickets in the resale, fingers well and truly crossed) and I have tickets for their May tour. However....... I am not feeling it as much anymore. I know that the music is the important thing, personalities aside, but it was the whole package and ethos with this band that made them so special. Always a life affirming time when seeing this band live. I have tried hard to not believe the recent 'shenanigans' due, in part, to my own personal experience of two incidents with Wayne where it did seem he was genuinely interested and engaging and was really lovely and kind.

But the latest news regarding Kliph and the supposed circumstances surrounding his departure are fairly s**t. I know lots will say he was 'only the drummer' and won't be greatly missed, but I think he came into his own last year particularly on some of the live Terror songs, plus he seemed a lovely guy. This is all so sad.

Will I ever hear 'The Captain' live again.... Sob

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, what do we all feel now after the latest news? There is still a gap in their tour to play (though I still need to get tickets in the resale, fingers well and truly crossed) and I have tickets for their May tour. However....... I am not feeling it as much anymore. I know that the music is the important thing, personalities aside, but it was the whole package and ethos with this band that made them so special. Always a life affirming time when seeing this band live. I have tried hard to not believe the recent 'shenanigans' due, in part, to my own personal experience of two incidents with Wayne where it did seem he was genuinely interested and engaging and was really lovely and kind.

But the latest news regarding Kliph and the supposed circumstances surrounding his departure are fairly s**t. I know lots will say he was 'only the drummer' and won't be greatly missed, but I think he came into his own last year particularly on some of the live Terror songs, plus he seemed a lovely guy. This is all so sad.

Will I ever hear 'The Captain' live again.... Sob

The sorry tale appears to unfold on here -

http://www.slow-nerve-action.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=528

At the bottom of this link - in the comments section - are what appears to be more revelations - it's a long read but the comment on the 2nd April at 12.32pm is very sad if its true

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/04/the_flaming_lip_21.html#comments

Obviously, it could all be interwebs 'tittle,tattle' but events leading up to this make me concerned that Wayne has lost the plot somewhat or maybe it's Wayne's evil twin?

Maybe, as someone else has said, it's Steven's turn to thump Wayne!

Edited by onthebeach

Hmm all sounds a bit iffy. I really like his drumming, especially on Embryonic. The drums on songs like Worm Mountain and See the Leaves are ace, so it's a shame he's gone. I've never really known what to think of Wayne Coyne. He puts on quite a good nice-guy façade, but he's said some pretty dickish things about other bands in the past.

He has been heading in a different direction for a while now. Drugs (allegedly), cheating (allegedly), separation from his wife, change of direction musically and the supposed manner of Kliphs departure (rumor).

Some say mid life crisis, others that he's just turned into a dickhead. For me living 50 years, doing lots of cool and creative things in that time that make people happy probably means you've earned the right to spend some time stroking your ego. It's regular rock star life isn't it ?

A man going through a divorce making a twat of himself, mmm never heard of that before :)

ah thanks a lot man! it's a shame, he was a good drummer :/ it's also a shame about Wayne, when I first got into the lips I thought he was the coolest dude around but recently he just seems to be being a giant douche! haha

ah well, if they played I'd still go and see them, even if they are basically a weird covers band now!

xx

if it means Steven goes back behind the drums then I'm all for it. Wayne may well be a dick, but so long as I enjoy the music I'll go see them. They are releasing Sgt Pepper soon right??

The people on that forum seem to have forgotten wayne coyne is just a dude in a band (which isnt as good as it used to be :P )

hasn't Steven been doing most of the recorded stuff anyway? so yeah it doesn't make that much difference really :P and yeah they are, from what I've heard on Wayne's Instagram it's sounding pretty cool, not as dark as the terror.

I know what you mean, it should be that their personal lives don't make any difference to the fans, but with Wayne it does seem to actually be impacting on their work the lips are coming out with.

reckon they might make an appearance at glasto?

xx

if it means Steven goes back behind the drums then I'm all for it. Wayne may well be a dick, but so long as I enjoy the music I'll go see them. They are releasing Sgt Pepper soon right??

The people on that forum seem to have forgotten wayne coyne is just a dude in a band (which isnt as good as it used to be :P )

Aye but it did seem to unfold that he's become autocratic about it and has different ideals for the band now. I'm not a huge fan so I'm not too wise on the history of it all (though I did spend the last hour reading all of that thread :P) but I can see why the fans are getting pissed off about it if the band members can't speak out or even call out one of Wayne's new friends for the risk of losing their job. It's all sour as hell and it'd be sad if it carried on this way because of who Wayne has become. That being said, it seems like something that'll be forgotten in a few months when they get touring and putting out music.