Could the entrance queues be better organised?

Guest TheGreenDropsRule

You used to be able to come in onsite and wheel your stuff along the track by the farmhouse... then a couple of years ago they changed it so you had to go down the slippy hill then back up another hill to get to the same place.

That's Glasto logic!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is about a third of the distance to gate A

as the crow flies.

Not to the traffic/crowd management plans.

But the festival want people to arrive in the middle of the night because it removes the issue of traffic on the road first thing Wednesday morning. So surely they should be keen to incentivise people to do tha (at least where practical)?

I'm not sure that the festival "want" people to arrive in the middle of the night. It's something they've done as a way to lessen daytime traffic congestion.

If arriving at midnight gives no advantage to arriving at 8am (and maybe you're right, maybe it shouldnt), then people will stop doing it.

it already gives no advantage to those who enter by (just some?) other gates, because they're not permitted to leave their car-parking fields to get near the gate.

And then you're back to the issue of massive queues on the road in the morning.

what's happened around the fest advertising itself as starting on wednesday proves that's not going to happen.

I cannot understand what the attraction is of sitting in a car, or standing in a field, for 4 or 5 hours. It simply strikes me as a pointless and mildly idiotic way of spending your time. Not least because it doesnt mean that you get anywhere any sooner than the the person who arrives in a car park at 8am.

Edited by fightoffyour

as the crow flies.

Not to the traffic/crowd management plans.

I'm not sure that the festival "want" people to arrive in the middle of the night. It's something they've done as a way to lessen daytime traffic congestion.it already gives no advantage to those who enter by (just some?) other gates, because they're not permitted to leave their car-parking fields to get near the gate.what's happened around the fest advertising itself as starting on wednesday proves that's not going to happen.

We camped at Ashcombe Farm, which is about 200 yards from Orange Gate (for Gate D)

Some of us had cars, so moved them the short distance to the car park, others walked to Gate D and others got a minibus from Ashcombe which dropped them off near Gate A.

The people who went in the minibus got in hours before us.

At last, a sensible response!!! My solidarity smiley obviously worked! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

they've all been sensible. Just because they've not been not what you've wanted to hear doesn't make them not sensible.

Simple fact is that you're moaning about your queuing time, when you've chosen to add 3.5 hours to that queuing time. A bit of standing back and thinking about that would save you massively more time in queues than anything the festival will ever manage to do for you towards that.

I can think of several things I'd rather do than sleep in a car, or stand in a queue for hours in a field, but if either of those meet your definition of a "great night" then I'm very happy for you.

(For what it's worth, I camped at Wookey Hole on Tuesday night and had a great time in the pub with some friends, both of which seem infinitely preferable to hanging round in a car park....)

Edited by fightoffyour

This may be a stupid question but, do all the gates open at the same time?

We usually wait at Gate D because that's where the bus from the Bath & Wells showground drops us, but looking at the map, Gate B would be a lot closer to where we always camp.

Does anyone have any experience of queuing at Gate B?

Great...but I'd rather not do it in a car park when there are other, more comfortable and enjoyable, options

Exactly, so why not book a campsite near by and spend the night in relative comfort. Or Travelodge, if you want a real bed. Why hang around in a car park when you dont need to. That's what I find odd....

Edited by fightoffyour