e-petition to reinstate the free road tax on older vehicles.

Guest neilloggie

If any body has the time or is interested please sign the e-petition to reinstate free road tax for vehicles over 25 years old.

Currently it is free for vehicles registered pre January 1973.

But one of the first things that the glorious Tony Blair did was to stop this as soon as they were voted in,

Thanks Neil.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37880

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Protecting heritage for future generations.

As my brother pointed out,we drove from Scarborough to Leeds,by the time we got to York we had a queue of 50 vehicles behind us. How much fuel did those 50 vehicles save? i feel i am doing the environment a favour thus deserving free car tax.

yeah, what we need is more tax breaks for the richest people in the country who can afford to have hobby vehicles as well as their day-to-day car.

Can we also campaign for a reduction in council tax for 2nd home owners, and a reduction in income tax for those earning over £150k a ytear.

Oh, scrap that last one. The tax cut for millionaires is already coming in April, at the same time as cuts in welfare for those working or not working. And that's a good thing of course, the rich are too poor, more money for the rich!

What about the likes of me and you Neil? poor old VW owners? certainly not rich in any way.

Nope, i'm not rich - but I don't think that I should be exempt from taxes for the vehicle I've chosen to drive. You know: choice, not compulsion. ;)

Most of the top quality classic vehicle owners hardly use them

So?

It's probably the case that most (say) Porche owners hardly drive those either, instead choosing to drive a more practical car to drive on a daily basis. Should they get a freebie on the same basis?

You make your choices, and you should pay for those choices and not expect others to pay for your choices. ;)

It would have had they continued to invest the money on roads and infrastructure,but for years they have not spent the money collected on roads.

Add that to fuel duties and all other motoring expenses we get a bum deal.

You need to do some better maths.

Add in street lighting. add in the costs of road accidents. Add in road policing. Etc, etc, etc - all the things which the people who say what you've just said deliberately choose to ignore.

Those road costs take the result to the opposite of what you wrongly believe.

Did you sign the petition Neil?

I don't sign petitions in support of tax breaks for the rich.

You need to do some better maths.

Add in street lighting. add in the costs of road accidents. Add in road policing. Etc, etc, etc - all the things which the people who say what you've just said deliberately choose to ignore.

Those road costs take the result to the opposite of what you wrongly believe.

I don't sign petitions in support of tax breaks for the rich.

So what part does Council Tax play in all this?,if they used the taxes for their correct use their would be a surplus.

not all street lighting is paid from council taxes, just as not all roads are paid for out of council taxes.

And anyway, when did life become about only paying for the parts of things that you use? There's a road tax for roads, but there's no prisons tax for paying for prisons - so the taxes that are raised around one thing are not going to necessarily be used to pay for just that particular thing.

All the same, what I said holds true: the money raised via VED does not cover the full costs of the roads.

What a terrible idea. Rather than expand the loopholes, surely the debate should be about getting rid of them - the exemptions for Agricultural and Historic vehicles for a start.

If some farmer insists on doing 20 miles an hour along the A453, there's no reason they shouldn't be paying the same as everyone else.

Is it too much to ask for a tax break for older vehicles?

yes it is.

If it's your only vehicle, why should you be exempt from the tax that everyone else has to pay?

And if it's not your only vehicle, why should those not rich enough to afford a second vehicle themselves subsidise the tax due from your second vehicle?