FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

Guest staffop

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're a JM fan and you don't already know - he's playing the Railway in Winchester on 30 Jan, and for the first and last time (he says) playing the whole of The Graceless Age end to end with a full band, plus another set of older stuff, plus support from Danny Champ. That sounds like potentially the best night ever??

Here's a mix that contains music by all of the artists announced so far and it aims to remind you about, or introduce, music from them all. As other artists are announced I plan to create mixes of their music too. I hope you enjoy it...

http://www.mixcloud.com/nigeyb/end-of-the-road-festival-2013-the-world-of-joy-mix-1/

End of the Road Festival 2013: The World Of Joy Mix #1

1. King Khan & The Shrines - Welfare Bread
  2. John Murry - Southern Sky
  3. Sigur Rós - Gobbledigook
  4. Pokey Lafarge and the South City Three - La La Blues
  5. Serafina Steer - Motion Pictures
  6. Daughter - Medicine
  7. Woodpecker Wooliams - Sparrow
  8. Damien Jurado - Maraqopa
  9. Angel Olson - Acrobat
  10. The Barr Brothers - Beggar In The Morning
  11. Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap
  12. Palma Violets - Best of Friends
  13. Sigur Rós - Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
  14. Horse Thief - Warrior
  15. Angel Olson - The Waiting
  16. John Murry - Penny Nails
  17. Daughter - Youth
  18. Damien Jurado - Sheets
  19. Horse Thief - Colours
  20. King Khan & The Shrines - Land Of The Freak
  21. Belle and Sebastian - Blues Are Still Blue
  22. Pokey Lafarge - Mr. Nobody
  23. Serafina Steer - GSOH
  24. The Barr Brothers - Old Mythologies
  25. Keith and Candice-Marie - The Zoo Song

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have Glastonbury to fulfill my criteria of "large festival where I get drunk lots", I have a gap at the end of summer currently held up by a redundant Leeds festival, this festival looks like it could be the perfect replacement, it's just so bloody far away.

It's a great festival - not much like Leeds though :). A lot smaller, older crowd, and generally more sober. Not much of a party scene at night, other than DJs till about 3. Plus a big part of the appeal is the smaller bands down the order that we've never heard of, but that turn out to be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

mailshot from sigur Ros today:

new year, new tour, new music

2013 promises to be an interesting year in the sigur rós universe. having started 2012 with the ambient-leaning and largely-untourable valtari album, they closed with a hometown show in reykjavík hinting at broad changes to come. playing the new song brennisteinn with valtari still very much in the air, the band put a marker in the ground for how their world might look as a newly-forged three-piece (without departing keyboard player kjartan sveinsson).

now, on the cusp of 2013 touring, the sigur rós are - as we write - in portugal rehearsing more new material to be unveiled across europe, the usa and south east asia. coming to a show is the only way you're going to experience this stuff outside crappy youtube clips in the coming months. you know what to do.

matched to this is a new show looking to eclipse the band's previous high-water marks of live presentation. new visuals, new lights and new stage set, and not forgetting a new player (welcome ingrid on viola). plus, of course, the new songs.

oh, and we are excited to announce that supporting on all european dates is the excellent blanck mass and in north america, tim hecker (dc - ottawa) and oneohtrix point never (toronto - sta barbara).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fle6-IhJJYA.... .David Byrne and St Vincent, Frightened Rabbit, Efterklang, Jens Lekman, Polica, Bo Ningen, Golden Fable, Diana Jones, Evening Hymns, Laish, Marika Hackman, Heartless Bastards, Merchandise, Money, PINS, Matthew E White, Mark Mulcahy, Caitlin Rose, Savages, Teleman, Widowspeak & Wolf Alice.

Edited by nigeyb

The line up gets more and more tempting, but the price, and the pricing policy is still a big barrier. The first year I went (EOTR 2), it made sense in my warped mind to go as opposed to seeing Yo La Tengo and a couple of other bands locally, but it doesn't seem to work like that for me now. And I imagine there will be further chaos of people trying to sell tickets after these announcements - will people hold out for buying disinterested early birders at those prices (given how nobody ever profits from resells), and further knacker the pricing system?

The line up gets more and more tempting, but the price, and the pricing policy is still a big barrier. The first year I went (EOTR 2), it made sense in my warped mind to go as opposed to seeing Yo La Tengo and a couple of other bands locally, but it doesn't seem to work like that for me now. And I imagine there will be further chaos of people trying to sell tickets after these announcements - will people hold out for buying disinterested early birders at those prices (given how nobody ever profits from resells), and further knacker the pricing system?

I'm confused by this Henry. The last few years EOTR has sold out. I'm not sure that the announcements will change that. It's a very EOTR type of line up and, in any case, my perception is that the festival now has a pretty large core of people who come back year after year because they know it's reliably a great experience.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but there always seems to be a flurry come late July of people "not being able" to make it... I'd certainly agree it's a strong line up, and a strong brand, hence the loyalty and sell outs of sorts, but I think that loyalty may be tested with the price increasing nearer the time, when those who may be undecided realise they're being asked to shell out substantially more than others.