Sziget 2013

Guest Uncle Liam

A genuine wishlist would include:

Tame Impala

Pond

Boys Noize (live)

Fake Blood (live)

Eminem (would be pretty good to be fair)

Daft Punk

Jamiroquai

Atoms for Peace

Blur

Caribou

Bonobo

Vitalic

The Wailers

James Murphy (DJ set)

Apparat

Pantha du Prince

But wouldn't expect more than three or four of those

Edited by edfirth

Yeah, a bit of a predictable booking - but at least we have an announcement at last! :) This is probably another case in which I would settle myself down at the bar by the stage, with my pint of Froche, just to see what all the fuss is about - that is, assuming there isn't something better on another stage! ;)

Bring on something a little heavier!

Do you folks know much about budapet?

Were flying over on the saturday morning to sample a couple of days in budapest before the festival, thought that would be better than after when everyone is shattered.

Were looking at hotels and websites for somewhere pretty central of the nightlife and sight seeing but none the wiser.

Were looking st the mercure hotel at the minute in the city centre at the minute, which looks pretty central for the nightlife/sight seeing.

http://www.mercure.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml

Any advice would be appreciated.

Budapest is a brilliant place - loads to do and see - and really cheap! :)

We left the booking of our hotel until quite late last year and ended up staying at the Ibis Heroes Square, which is a really nice hotel in a beautiful area of Budapest, but quite a long way from the festival site ......

This time we're more prepared, and we've provisionally booked The Park Inn, which is the closest reasonably priced hotel we could find to the festival island - in spite of not yet having bought tickets and flights not being available as yet! No idea what it will be like, but it looks fairly central and will involve less toing and throwing between the hotel and the festival ......

We stopped over in Budapest overnight either side of Exit Festival this year.

On the way out, we just got a cheap hotel 1/2 way between the Airport and City. This was good for a one off overnight stay and was about £13 each per night for a triple room.

On the way home, we splashed out a bit and stayed in the Hotel Carat Boutique and was lovely, very luxurious and only cost about £30 each per night for a triple room. This was right in the city centre, next to the main connection point for all 3 subway lines... would recommend.

Brilliant city indeed. For a stay during the Sziget Festival, I recommend staying in the city centre close to the roundway where tram 4-6 runs the whole night through. For the weekend before the Sziget Festival I recommend a stay close to Szechenyi spa, because on the Saturday there always is an amazing pool party with 3D mapping visuals.

And, for a stay close to Szechenyi spa and Heroes Square, I'd def recommend the Ibis Heroes Square - great value at £40 per night for a double room!

A few questions!

What are the beer/food prices like (looking for exact prices/sizes rather than just 'cheap')?

Do you get free programmes?

How easy is it to get to the front of gigs?

How many stages run at the same time? (are there any example timetables available?)

Are there big queues for the transport back off the island afterwards?

Can anyone access the campsite area?

Is there anything in the campsite area that isn't in the main arena that we'll be missing out on?

Okay, and now a question from us!

We are considering taking advantage of the fact that you can get cheap flights in and out of various other cities near to Budapest to maybe take a train and spend some time in another nearby city before or after Sziget. I know that it's possible to get a train between Bratislava and Budapest, but is it possible to get to Belgrade, Sofia or maybe Prague? I'm guessing that Bucharest is out of the question, as it looks a long way from Budapest on the map. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks, guys!