Sziget 2013

Guest Uncle Liam

I have always been camping, as I think that means more fun. Even though the concerts at most stages don't start before 3PM, there already is a lot to do before that time, like the Eastern-European fun fair, theater, workshops, sports, etc.

But if you prefer the luxury of an accommodation, you can find a lot in Budapest, reaching from hostels and apartments for about 10 quid per person per night to five star hotels for much more (I've never seen those as an option for myself, so I don't know how much they cost). And Budapest surely means a lot of fun too, but that's fun you can also have in the days prior to or after the festival.

Edited by Cristall

thats exactly what we did this year and it was well worth it... just make sure you buy the citypass as well when you go as you get all your travel around budapest plus a free spa visit from it as well as other discounted spa trips and other discounts around the city

sziget itself is an amazing experience but if you like to sleep then i would suggest maybe not camping as the music doesnt stop til 5am smile.png

Booked my flight (€171 return inclusive from Amsterdam) a few weeks ago, so sign me up for numero five and fourth time in a row! Sziget is a huge recommendation: the lineup may not always exceed reasonable, but the atmosphere is wonderful, there's a beautiful city around the corner and the weather alone is worth the trip.

As far as camping is concerned: facilities are comparable if not better than most other European festivals and they weekly camping pass has the benefit of entrance on days -1 and 0 (Monday and Tuesday). Last year day 0 was heavy metal day, in 2011 we got Prince as an extra. Even when you're not camping, the price of a non-camping ticket plus day 0 ticket is about the same if not higher. Citypasses are recommended. Even when you camp and don't completely break even on transportation, spas and musea, the convenience alone is totally worth it. Having one made me explore Budapest far more than I would have otherwise. Sziget offers a rare chance to combine a festival with a city-trip vacation, take advantage of that.

Oh, please do get your tickets (when available from December on) at www.szigetfest.co.uk, these guys (Ostfest) are the official promoters in the UK. Tickets bought from them do not just fund promotional activities in the UK, but also give them more credit with those who book the lineup. This means acts popular with the British are more likely to get booked as opposed to those popular (only) in Hungary. This concept has worked out very well for us Dutchies in recent years. Disclaimer: I have been a promoter in Holland for two years, which here basically means distributing flyers, posters and word-of-mouth in return for a free promotional week pass. Probably won't be doing that again this year though, I feel that as a somewhat older and full-time employed visitor I have a smaller network than most students do.

I've been to alot of festivals over the past few years and made my first trip to Sziget this year! WOW!

£130 for my flights with ryanair from stanstead (my friend got hers for £92 because she didnt pay tax)

£165 for my 7day camping ticket, <----absolute bargin!

6 days worth of bands and headliners! <-----Spoilt!!

the 2 dance arenas (a38 + Dance arena) both stay open till 6am and have their own set of headliners+Subheadliners which start AFTER the main stage headliners so you dont miss them!! <----the party never stops!!

£1.60 for a beer!! i was also drinkin pints of wine for £4!! <----constantly drunk

the atmopshere is amazing, everyone is in such a good mood ALL the time, made so many new friends from all over the world!!

Made use of the city passes, free coach from the airport to the festival! the Spars in the city are amazing!!

theres a supermarket a 5/10minute walk from the festival

the weather was a standard 25/30'c the whole time bar it rained a tiny bit one morning

the campsite...well there isnt a campsite you can camp anywhere, i camped in the woods just a 2 minute walk from the main stage, was great waking up surrounded by trees rather than crammed like sardines like most festivals

the festival card system is amazing so you dont have to carry any money round with you, bars worked pretty efficiently too never really stood for more than 5 minutes waiting for a drink in the dance arenas where it was most crouded,

the lineup for me was amazing, loved every headliner on the main stage and dance arenas, the only down side was i couldnt get into one of the dance arenas for crookers cuz it was over flowing!

the toilet facilities were the best ive ever experianced kept clean constantly, appart from the last day was abit grim but thats standard

food wasnt as cheap as i thought but it was amazing food!

all in all as a festival it was the best ive been too, not only do you get the feel of being on holiday, the festival its self is just amazing, going back to british festivals next year is going to be horrible! and DEFFINATLY goin again, for me the headliners are going to struggle to be beaten this year but im going again just for the experiance!

I think the good news is that the chance of Blur playing Sziget isn't zero, but I wouldn't say it's pretty likely yet. Usually RW and Sziget share only a few acts.

This year only 9 of 69 RW acts played Sziget too, with none of them being a headliner: Netsky, dEUS, DJ Fresh, Katzenjammer, The XX, Noah And The Whale, The Vaccines, Steve Aoki and Skream (at Sziget in Magnetic Man).

Last year gives a little more hope, as in 2011 two Sziget headliners played RW too: Chemical Brothers and White Lies. In total 8 of 61 RW acts played Sziget too that year: Chemical Brothers, The National, White Lies, Triggerfinger, Goose, Selah Sue, Kaiser Chiefs and Kasabian.

Never been that bothered about Blur, but will def try n get to Sziget next year - loved Budapest & also the Sziget vibe ... :)

Am I right that Download, Rock Werchter and the Primavera festivals are announcing their headliner(s) earlier than ever before? Hopefully Sziget will join this trend. At least last year Sziget did, as they announced The Stone Roses mid-December, which is the earliest I can remember.