Benicassim 2013!

Guest STEatT

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but read this:

http://primaverasoun...l.wordpress.com

This is madness because it makes the countries around us much more competitive than us. They can offer cheaper tickets and put up more money for an artist. This means the impending collapse of the sector and we can expect a lot more unpleasant surprises this year. Not even the most consolidated of festivals is safe. And obviously, no one with capital is going to want to get into this sector now.
Edited by Createur

I've got to say that that is the most-misplaced rant I've read for a while. :lol:

They're moaning that the rise in VAT is more than they can take on the basis that "the countries around us much more competitive than us", and yet their whole success in the first place has been made around the fact that they've been (via their VAT rate) more competitive than other countries.

After all, the new VAT rate that they're complaining about is only half a percent more than the VAT rate that the UK has had for 15+ years, and is still 2% less than the VAT rate that the UK has had for 2 years.

I'm guessing that the good value that these overseas fests represented in the past has now come to an end.

The UK festie scene will be the better for it. :)

Dont agree at all, value is what you get from a product. You could buy a cheap washing up liquid and you might ot get they same quality as if you had fairy liquid.

Certain festivals abroad you get more for your money like rock werchter 4 days instead of the usual 3, sziget 5 days of music.

Is v better value than glastonbury because its cheaper?

You're missing the point.

That article is saying that those festivals overseas will cease to give the value that they've been giving up till now. They won't put their prices up, but they now have 13% extra costs.

That means that that 13% (or most of it) will be reclaimed from things within the festival - a cut back with non-essentrial infrastructure (and perhaps some of the essentials too), and/or a cut back in what is spent on booking entertainments.

So a person will get less for their money at those overseas festivals, and so they will consider them to be of lesser value than they did previously.

Where any individual draws their value line will vary from person to person, but the laws of economics gets to say that it will very definitely have a negative effect on how many people will want to buy tickets - tho it might take a year of people experiencing those cut-backs for it to have a noticeable impact.

So, with overseas festivals giving lesser value than they have done, UK festivals will look better value for money alongside them, and should reap some benefit (tho perhaps very small for any one festival).

Anything else would mean that the laws of economics are wrong.

You're missing the point.

That article is saying that those festivals overseas will cease to give the value that they've been giving up till now. They won't put their prices up, but they now have 13% extra costs.

That means that that 13% (or most of it) will be reclaimed from things within the festival - a cut back with non-essentrial infrastructure (and perhaps some of the essentials too), and/or a cut back in what is spent on booking entertainments.

So a person will get less for their money at those overseas festivals, and so they will consider them to be of lesser value than they did previously.

Where any individual draws their value line will vary from person to person, but the laws of economics gets to say that it will very definitely have a negative effect on how many people will want to buy tickets - tho it might take a year of people experiencing those cut-backs for it to have a noticeable impact.

So, with overseas festivals giving lesser value than they have done, UK festivals will look better value for money alongside them, and should reap some benefit (tho perhaps very small for any one festival).

Anything else would mean that the laws of economics are wrong.

For a part I can agree with eFestivals comments: it would be logic that the VAT raise will have an impact on the Spanish festivals, making them offer less value for money. But ironically, the best festival I've been to (Sziget, which is offering the best value for money in my opinion) has to pay 27% VAT over its tickets, much more than anywhere else in Europe.

First post - hi all

Me and my girlfriend are likely heading to Beni for the first time next year, we're thinking of staying in a hotel in Oropesa Del Mar for 5 days then going to Barcelona for a couple more. That way even if the festival does go belly up, we'll get our money back for the tickets and still have a decent holiday. Is it that easy getting to/from Oropesa to Beni every day? Seen a few people say there are shuttle buses and a few saying they could only find taxis/illegal cabs and they were a nightmare. Can't seem to find anything official yet.

Well it's not exactly confirmation, but there was an update last week from the administrators who basically said the Benicassim Ltd is not a subject of the administration proceedings, and that they are actively looking for a buyer for the festival. The article is on our site here.

Here's hoping that they manage to sort something out and soon, but I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Derm cool.pngthanks for that , i'd read your post on the Beni FB page but i appreciate all the same , thanks