• Replies 28.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thetime

• mrtourette

• Mouseboy11

• the wonderwhy

From the official RW website, "Another headliner for Rock Werchter 2013: Depeche Mode. The British trio will take to the Main Stage before Editors on Sunday 7 July."

Surely that deems them not actually a headliner?

They're reportedly headlining BBK Live, which is fair as it's a smaller festival. I imagine they're headlining Peace & Love Festival as well.

From the official RW website, "Another headliner for Rock Werchter 2013: Depeche Mode. The British trio will take to the Main Stage before Editors on Sunday 7 July."

They're reportedly headlining BBK Live, which is fair as it's a smaller festival. I imagine they're headlining Peace & Love Festival as well.

Seems like it's one of those times that a festival gives someone the headliner tag when they're actually a sub that needs their ego massaging. If they're playing before a previously advertised headliner (or even after at some of these crazy European festivals) than they're subbing/closing rather than headlining, although if someone wants to ignore the reality and use the PR spin that's there in black and whiteto argue that someone is a headliner then I guess it's a different way of looking at it.

Seems like it's one of those times that a festival gives someone the headliner tag when they're actually a sub that needs their ego massaging. If they're playing before a previously advertised headliner (or even after at some of these crazy European festivals) than they're subbing/closing rather than headlining, although if someone wants to ignore the reality and use the PR spin that's there in black and whiteto argue that someone is a headliner then I guess it's a different way of looking at it.

Very true, that's just my take on it. the difference for me is that The Cure's hadline status was never in doubt, just whether they'd be booked. I would question whether Depeche Mode would so easily command the same slot even if they were booked.

If DM are playing Reading, there's similarly no doubt about their headline status either. If they're playing, they WILL headline.

And exactly the same as it was with The Cure, the question is whether R/L would book them.

If R/L had not booked The Cure for this year I'd very solidly say that there's no chance of R/L booking DM. But because R/L booked the Cure this year, it's now difficult to say that they won't book DM; it's got to be in their considerations, even if they end up deciding 'no'.

Are they not in for a shot at headling or at least playing Isle of Wight? They're in France on the Saturday and although they don't have any back to back dates listed yet it doesn't mean there wont be some added?

I'd say very definitely not.

Without checking back I think all the announced dates have a day off between shows, and that was the case in 2009 too - when they also had a date in France and said that made it impossible for them to play Glasto.

If DM are playing Reading, there's similarly no doubt about their headline status either. If they're playing, they WILL headline.

And exactly the same as it was with The Cure, the question is whether R/L would book them.

If R/L had not booked The Cure for this year I'd very solidly say that there's no chance of R/L booking DM. But because R/L booked the Cure this year, it's now difficult to say that they won't book DM; it's got to be in their considerations, even if they end up deciding 'no'.

As a rule the thurday headliner does not end the day but a dance act does, this happened on 3 days this year.

Very similar to last year when maiden headlined and black eyed peas closed the festival. In my opinion it as there old bands maiden/dm, it keeps the younger audience there for the younger band especially as editors are werchter favorites.

If you want to ignore reality and go with the press blurb then of course not, you can kee repeating "they're headliners, look they're headliners" for as long as you want.

If you're happy to accept the fact that they do different things on the continent and a 'headliner' might not necessarily be the same as it is over here, such as a dance act closing the night after the main rock headliner, or that as happens in many places that certain bands are advertised as headliners or given co-headliner slots to massage their egos rather than just being standard subs/closers (even though in reality they are), then it isn't as black and white as that.

Given that the discussion was edging towards their status in Europe and how it would translate to the UK I can understand why people would want to look a bit closer into the reality rather than just seeing the word headliner and assuming that they're big enough to headline, but if you're a fan of the band and want them to come across as big and impressive as possible (as the PR does) then it's understandable to go the other way.