Albums of 2012 worth a listen

Guest eagles69

With a few months gone of the year I thought it time to review or just talk about new albums you heard and love and think other people will love also

So far for me I think it's been a surprisingly good start to year as not expecting anything until March when Shins gets released but have loved First Aid Kit, Anais Mitchell and Django Django I'm sure they r some I have missed or not listened to enough!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already a fantastic year:

Shearwater - Animal Joy

Oren Ambarchi - Audience of One

The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know

School of Seven Bells - Ghostory

Perfume Genius - Put Your Back N 2 It

Hanne Hukkelberg - Featherbrain

Sharon van Etten - Tramp

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

Chairlift - Something

Errors - Have Some Faith In Magic

Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

I'd say a fair few of them might end up at EOTR this year (Perfume Genius and First Aid Kit already announced). Errors and Shearwater both played two years ago and will be on the festival circuits, Sharon van Etten would be ideal, Twilight Sad have played in the past etc.

Thank you for the above recommendations jsawyer and Christophales, must go and get Django Django. Gosh they have been around for a while didn't realise that this was their debut. I was a bit disappointed with them at The Albert Hall, but in fairness I think they may have been a bit overwhelmed by the experience. Also glad that you mentioned Hanne Hukkelberg,

Some of the things I am listening to now may be from late 2011, hope that counts.

Maia Vidal - God Is My Bike

Kathleen Edwards - Voyager

Standard Fare - Out of Town

Madison Violet - The Good In Goodbye

Stealing Sheep - Noah and the Papermoon

DARREN HAYMAN - JANUARY SONGS

edit : forgot Beth Jeans Houghton - Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose

Laura J Martin - The Hangman Tree

Edited by perfectpassion

I've been listening to Adam Cohen's 'Like A Man' a lot this week. When did that come out? Great record, seems like a fine songwriter, and he generally seems to avoid sounding like his dad - though there are moments ...... Lyrically, as well, I guess he can't escape the influence entirely. I keep hearing words I associate with Leonard's songs, angels, mountain, rhyming 'morning' with 'kisses soft(/deep) and warm', 'kisses deep', but all in all I really like it.

So just now I clicked on his website and saw he is playing the Union Chapel tomorrow night! And I'm going to London tomorrow!! But I'm going to a gig in Leyton!!! How did that happen?

Absolutely echo the list from Christophales (a few in there I've not heard so will definitely check those out)

To throw in some more brand new albums from bands that fit into the EOTR vibe...

Damien Jurado 'Maraqopa'

Fanfarlo 'Rooms Filled With Light'

Hospitality 'Hospitality'

Imperial Teen 'Feel The Sound'

Maribel 'Reveries'

Memoryhouse 'The Slideshow Effect'

Phantogram 'Nightlife'

Royal Baths 'Better Luck Next Life'

Sea Lions 'Everything You Always...'

Tennis 'Young And Old'

Edited by Timberford

Absolutely echo the list from Christophales (a few in there I've not heard so will definitely check those out)

To throw in some more brand new albums from bands that fit into the EOTR vibe...

Damien Jurado 'Maraqopa'

Fanfarlo 'Rooms Filled With Light'

Hospitality 'Hospitality'

Imperial Teen 'Feel The Sound'

Maribel 'Reveries'

Memoryhouse 'The Slideshow Effect'

Phantogram 'Nightlife'

Royal Baths 'Better Luck Next Life'

Sea Lions 'Everything You Always...'

Tennis 'Young And Old'

Edited by iamnotahero

I just love Boy & Bear - Moonfire

Tiny Ruins - Some Were Meant For Sea,

Hanne Hukkelberg - Featherbrain (thanks CH for reminding me)

Shearwater - Animal Joy

Swimming - Ecstatics International

(I think those first two may have been released late 2011)

Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, Anders Parker, Jim James: New Multitudes (stupidly bought the single disc version instead of the deluxe 2-cd version with 11 extra tracks, which I will now have to get - I blame .....)

Edited by perfectpassion

• 2 weeks later...

The first quarter results are in, admittedly only based on the 7 CDs I've bought from this year.

1. Anais Mitchell - Young Man in America

Oh my, the songs are affecting and beautifully arranged. Better than Hadestown.

2. Pepe Deluxe - Queen of the Wave

Psychedelic concept album full of tunes and fun.

3. Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself

a return to form, I think. It flows great, although I've ditched the superfluous last track on my playing version.

4. Field Music - Plumb

Another musical treat from these infuriating and talented lads. The Steely Dan of the north east.

Not feeling it. Like but don't love: Perfume Genius, Tindersticks, First Aid Kit