Sonisphere Mystery Headliner on Scuzz

Guest hardygra

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we think that Foo Fighters are 100% for Reading and Leeds? I know Tyler made some loose comment about 12 months ago but I've not seen anything else that is concrete, in fact we know that Sonisphere were in talks with Foo Fighters as they openly admitted that they were trying to get RHCP, Green Day, Foo Fighters and Blink 182.

Surely they will have landed one of those bands and Foo Fighters and Blink 182 seem the most likely?

Do we think that Foo Fighters are 100% for Reading and Leeds? I know Tyler made some loose comment about 12 months ago but I've not seen anything else that is concrete, in fact we know that Sonisphere were in talks with Foo Fighters as they openly admitted that they were trying to get RHCP, Green Day, Foo Fighters and Blink 182.

Surely they will have landed one of those bands and Foo Fighters and Blink 182 seem the most likely?

Edited by jump

I'd thought Blink would be more of a convience as they are touring the same time but to me it would seem Green Day are most likely (or the fest most likely to get them) as they're willing to work around band's need and it been said a few times Green Day like massive shows and long sets which most fests can't work around.

What happened to it being two classic headliners this year?

Looking again at the bands that were featured on Scuzz, I think quite a few can be ruled out now?

Band 1 - Van Halen - Possible though band members fear of flying and long US tour prior to Sonisphere maybe rules them out?

Band 2 - Paramore - Cannot see them being big enough to headline?

Band 3 - Tool

Band 4 - Rage Against The Machine

Band 5 - Rush

Band 6 - Foo Fighters - Strongly rumoured for R & L

Band 7 - Avenged Sevenfold - ruled out by tour manager

Band 8 - Faith No More

Band 9 - Kiss - seemingly not touring Europe until 2013.

Band 10 - Iron Maiden - Not touring in 2012 and played in 2010

Band 11 - Blink 182 - playing Eden Project and Bournemouth the same weekend.

So from the list I think we are left with Tool, Rush, RATM and FNM?

As it stands by money would be on FNM as they have new material coming out and have been rumoured for Sonisphere France?

Looking again at the bands that were featured on Scuzz, I think quite a few can be ruled out now?

Band 1 - Van Halen - Possible though band members fear of flying and long US tour prior to Sonisphere maybe rules them out?

Band 2 - Paramore - Cannot see them being big enough to headline?

Band 3 - Tool

Band 4 - Rage Against The Machine

Band 5 - Rush

Band 6 - Foo Fighters - Strongly rumoured for R & L

Band 7 - Avenged Sevenfold - ruled out by tour manager

Band 8 - Faith No More

Band 9 - Kiss - seemingly not touring Europe until 2013.

Band 10 - Iron Maiden - Not touring in 2012 and played in 2010

Band 11 - Blink 182 - playing Eden Project and Bournemouth the same weekend.

So from the list I think we are left with Tool, Rush, RATM and FNM?

As it stands by money would be on FNM as they have new material coming out and have been rumoured for Sonisphere France?

The only reason Maiden would play, would be if a headliner pulled out and the had to ask them to step in last minute.

Their booking agent co-owns sonisphere so their touring plans are generally built around it, and organised well in advance (Maiden had self confirmed for soni 2010 during soni 2009 for example). IF they were in line to do Sonisphere this year, they'd have been announced well before now. So no, they won't be playing, although I've heard they're back doing some sonispheres next year, including France (and probably the UK).

Edited by kipper64

If their booking agent co-owns don't you think that it would make it even more likely? I think it's strange they make future plans to play sonisphere next year when they can play this year and when their agent is on short supply of metal headliners. Have you thought about what is the motive they do a little tour without nothing to promote? You're saying they organize well in advance but Iron Maiden have played sonisphere before and they did not announced it in advance. Though they may have planned it long time ago, just may haven't anounced yet. What I know is that Sonisphere festival is buit around Iron Maiden and Metallica, those are the only 2 METAL bands that guarantuee a big audience anywhere. Sonisphere is a festival happening in several places around Europe, without Metallica and Iron Maiden the concept of metal festival touring Europe is not feasible.

Edited by roadrunner66

If their booking agent co-owns don't you think that it would make it even more likely? I think it's strange they make future plans to play sonisphere next year when they can play this year and when their agent is on short supply of metal headliners. Have you thought about what is the motive they do a little tour without nothing to promote? You're saying they organize well in advance but Iron Maiden have played sonisphere before and they did not announced it in advance. Though they may have planned it long time ago, just may haven't anounced yet. What I know is that Sonisphere festival is buit around Iron Maiden and Metallica, those are the only 2 METAL bands that guarantuee a big audience anywhere. Sonisphere is a festival happening in several places around Europe, without Metallica and Iron Maiden the concept of metal festival touring Europe is not feasible.

I thought the 2010 lineup of Alice Cooper, Rammstein and Iron Maiden was fantastic and I really enjoyed all three headliners. I, for one, thought Maiden played a blinding set and fair play to them not wanting to simply do a greatest hits set ..... however i was surprised they didn't play the trooper!

From the Scuzz programme i think the obvious one (according to all postings from 'inside sources' and my own contacts) is FNM.

Been thinking about Queen 'n' X factor boy over the weekend whilst listening to some of their back catalogue ( the good older stuff!). I think they'd be far better off doing an arena tour or performing at Knebworth in their own right like RHCP. If this is some form of final tribute to Freddie then all the better for having it in front of 50,000+ Queen fans singing every word. At Soni, i suspect they'll want to film the gig, but many of the crowd won't be Queen fans and their reception won't be quite as enthusiatic as a real Queen crowd. I just think Soni might not be in their best interests tbh

It makes them likely for Sonispheres, yes. But not this year. They're in line to do some next year, as I've already said, but they won't do them every year. They just played 2 years ago, and festivals generally don't repeat headliners within 2 years. I know they repeated Metallica within 2, but that was an exception due to the Big 4 thing, it was possibly the only time they'd get them all to play, so they booked them again, they wont want to do that again for Maiden otherwise it'll leave a lot of people annoyed.

Metallica and Maiden will always be in place to headline new sonispheres and as both have connections (same booking agent), both will always be involved with sonisphere every couple of years I'd imagine, but that doesn't mean they'll be involved every year.

It makes them likely for Sonispheres, yes. But not this year. They're in line to do some next year, as I've already said, but they won't do them every year. They just played 2 years ago, and festivals generally don't repeat headliners within 2 years. I know they repeated Metallica within 2, but that was an exception due to the Big 4 thing, it was possibly the only time they'd get them all to play, so they booked them again, they wont want to do that again for Maiden otherwise it'll leave a lot of people annoyed.

Metallica and Maiden will always be in place to headline new sonispheres and as both have connections (same booking agent), both will always be involved with sonisphere every couple of years I'd imagine, but that doesn't mean they'll be involved every year.

I don't have any 'insider knowledge' egarding them, and as I said, it's not completely impossible, if that was done last minute due to lack of another band stepping in or whatever. But I'm almost certain it won't be this year, it certainly wasn't planned for this year at least, and I know they are in line to do some Sonispheres next year, and I'm almost certain that'll include the UK.