'free' schools

Guest eFestivals

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fairness from what I have read, and from the families I know, home schooled kids are more likely to acquire non science skills and ambitions e.g. music, art, drama, english, history. Also maths can be thrown into the mix (child prodegies). That is not a bad thing, but it MAY show that the lack of contact with experimental science MAY be lacking.

but you're just as likely to end up with a kid hating a subject more than they otherwise would. Sometimes kids don't like something, for a while, then if you catch them at the right time, they'll enjoy it. And if it's being taught by one of the less capable, or interested, teachers (I mean capable of passing knowledge on), they're almost guaranteed to hate it

Considering it is children from less well off backgrounds who struggle more and the fact home schooling is an expensive option.. The idea that home school is some sort of fix to our countries schooling issues is a bit off.

I would go along with the idea that home schooling could benefit a gifted and committed student with equally gifted and committed parents. Not convinced it would benefit a less committed student with parents who have limited knowledge of tue material.

I think you need some prospective when talking about the education system. The VAST majority are not coming out illiterate or innumerate. Yeah, there are defiantly some, and it might be thousands but this is very much the minority.

I would prepared to guess the ones who are coming out this way have bigger issues going on than a shit teacher.

I don't think anyone has said it is a "fix". I think it is a vialble option for many families and communities.

I would say, and I hope I will not be pariahed for this but I think it is open more to the "middle classes". Especially those that are in a position to support their kids post 18, as it is these these years that are important as well. Kids can make mistakes, but often parents are able to absorb that, if that makes sense (just going through similar now).

But in saying that I know many families that live in former travelling communities, and their kids are well balanced. I think that it will just take a little more time before each kid get to know what they want.

I can't see how it can't be expensive... If your doing the job properly...

You are going to need text books, stationary, equipment, money for excursions, and as you hinted above, paying for additional support on subjects you know nothing of. Most of the above is covered by the taxes you have to pay in the state sector and my understanding is you getting nothing from the government in money to help. So home schooling means you pay twice as such.

Then throw in that mum has no choice but to quite work and you only have one income coming in. I really do not think its an easy option for people on low incomes. Not if you want to do the job properly.

I teach people to become tutors in adult and community ed where often we end up putting the sticking plaster on people who have 'fallen through' the compulsory education system. There's a lot of talk about embedding key skills (teaching subjects by stealth - for example looking at numeracy, costs, weights etc. when teaching a course on cookery) but in my experience the underpinning words have to be confidence and values. Pass those on to a child and you're giving them real foundations for life.

i lived in georgia, where a lot of kids are home schooled by their religious parents to keep the evils of secular society away

the kids who were home schooled, that played in the neighbourhood playground, were weird kids. This is not just my opinion, i've discussed this before with other americans who lived in the deep south, home schooled kids are usually socially backwards

it's like a lot, not all, but a lot of guys who go to boys only school are weird around girls. We had three guys from boy only schools come to our mixed 6th form, all three had to leave after 'stalking issues' with female students and teachers

you keep kids away from something, either it be a different race, gender or their own age group and they won't know how to function properly

this is why i said most, not all. Because some parents realise this early and sign their kids up to lots of social things like sports and clubs. I'm sure you will, and your kids will be fine