'free' schools

Guest eFestivals

No, that isnt really what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that learning is not something that you should leave entirely to teachers. You may not want to involve school at all (that's our choice), but even if you do choose to use school, there is, it seems to me, a responsibility on parents to contribute to the learning and developments of their children

There is - but where a parent hasn't had that experience themselves they can't really be expected to know that's how it should be, nor be expected to take the idea on board and then perform it perfectly having not had the experience of it themselves.

This is one thing where Blair was very on the ball in trying to expand nursery education, so that children can get a different attitude or experience of learning to what they might otherwise get.

And of course the tories are cutting back on it. :roulette:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you worry about his social development ? Interacting with other kids on a daily basis is a huge development opportunity in itself.

Are you going to continue home schooling when he hits secondary school level ? Genuinely interested....

While you no doubt possess the ability and financial means to school your own child I think its a bit naive to think all parents could do it.

Don't you worry about his social development ? Interacting with other kids on a daily basis is a huge development opportunity in itself.

Are you going to continue home schooling when he hits secondary school level ? Genuinely interested....

While you no doubt possess the ability and financial means to school your own child I think its a bit naive to think all parents could do it.

Personally, I would be worried about my personal ability to expose my child to all the varied subject matters a child is subjected to within a school, but more so at the Secondary School level than the Primary School level. That is why I raised the question regarding secondary school. And of course there is the question of if your child will perform well in gaining the national qualification, if he sits them at all...

Don't think I put my point across well. The more responsibility you put on children's parents to educate their children the more you are actually limited a child's chances to that of the level of those parents.

Reading all the above feels me with a mix of fear, worry, admiration for you and hope for him. Its a heck of a lot to take on your shoulders... I have read about home schooling and how it can result in good things. Equally, I have read the negative side that can happen, mainly down to idiot parents which you clearly are not.

Be interesting to see how he handles the change from home schooling to a more formal learning process which College and/or University will provide.

Anyway, Good luck :)

Could you expand on what you view as being fundamentally different in the approach you take and the approach secondary schools take ? Interested...

The biggest difference I found at Uni was it was on your shoulders to go out and study and research a subject more once the lecture hand finished. You was never taught all the information you would need to complete a paper or exam. Was always up to you to fill in the rest as such. Not quite sure how well this would work with young teenagers :) Although this type of working was mean't to be brought in via Course Work.

I understand your point about secondary education, but the reality is we will be exposing him to a ptentially much broader range of learning than one which is limited by the national curriculum. Yes, I agree, that this raises issues for us - if he wants to pursue (say) physics to A level standard or whatever, then my ability to help him with that will be severely limited, but there are a range of other options (distance learning, for example) that makes that possible.

All the evidence is that home educated children do proportionally significantly better at securing higher education places than kids who go to state schools. Independent education means developing the ability to be self-motivated, to learn autonomously and to be self-confident. All things that prepare a young person well for higher education.

Ofcourse you have every right to home school your child, and I'm sure there are kids who do well from it, but in my experience from growing up, and from tutoring maths A-level to home schooled children, every one I've met has been socially inept.

Im not saying this will be your kid, but growing up and learning with your peers on a daily basis is, in my view, an important part of development. Not to mention, that when done right, school can be a lot of fun.

And every hom schooled young person I have met is socially capable, confident and bright. I guess you've just been unlucky.

You are entiled, of course, to your opinion. You have, I think, a limited view of the circumstances in which young people can develop and mature. Organised education is not the only option, and as I have said, home education does not preclude peer-based social interaction and, more importantly, it facilitates social interaction across a range of ages.

And I think I'd be witholding some important experiences from him if he went to school (incidentally, he's only 6 - which is in any event too early to start school)

the obvious answer is that you do nto do experimental physics or chemistry at home (I'm sure you knew that). If he wants, when the time comes, to study for a physics or chemistry qualification that requires an experimental element, we will have to find a way to facilitate that (perhaps by sending him to school)

Not sure I go along with this idea of letting children decide what they learn to such a large degree... To a certain point the child can be involved, Year 9 GCSE choices for example... But a child needs the experience and exposure to different subjects to start making those choices in Year 9, then year 11 (college application) and then University choice etc...

it's not hard if you think about it for half a second...he's currently 6 years old. If he shows an interest or an inquisitiveness about any aspect of learning, we will facilitate. We are not constrained by an externally set curriculum. If he shows an early interest in science, we will facilitate his learning in that direction. If he shows an early interest in dance or gymnastics or history or music, we will do the same.

it's not hard if you think about it for half a second...he's currently 6 years old. If he shows an interest or an inquisitiveness about any aspect of learning, we will facilitate. We are not constrained by an externally set curriculum. If he shows an early interest in science, we will facilitate his learning in that direction. If he shows an early interest in dance or gymnastics or history or music, we will do the same.