First Time At V...comparison to Glasto

Guest towin1

Not necessarily, these things are what you, and your mates, make of it. The best thing you can do whilst you are there is never compare it it Glastonbury. V is a music festival and thats it. Its basically a few stages, a few bars and greasy spoons, and a place to camp. Nothing else. Nothing really else to do, so as long as you appreciate that you are there with your mates to down loads of beer, have a few laughs, and see few bands (shocking line-up this year by the way imo!) and then go back to your campe site, then you will enjoy yourself. If you want anything more then forget it!

I'd been to Glastonbury a few times before going to V and I still always enjoyed V. It's definitely not Glastonbury but it has it's advantages.

The stages being closer together does mean that you can get between them more easily, and can change your mind mid way through a set and go and see someone else. You can also get much closer to the big acts much more easily than you can at Glastonbury.

If you want to see someone who is likely to be a big draw in one of the tents, get there early because they do monitor crowd numbers pretty rigidly and will often stop letting people in even if there is plenty of room inside.

The "Indie disco" on the Friday night is fun, playing music from all the acts appearing over the weekend. the atmosphere is usually really good there, although I did get hit in the eye by a flying bottle there the one year which wasn't so much fun!

Glastonbury is on a different level, but as a bunch of gigs in a field, V is also a great weekend.

It is possible to have a great time at non Glastonbury fests. It's just normally a different kind of fun but you'll still have a great time none the less.

And if you're really lucky you might cop off with someone from Hollyoaks.;)

As everyone else has said, it is what you & your friends make it. Ive done Both V & Glasto several times & have enjoyed them both. For slightly different reasons, but enjoyed none the less.

Only things that really do get to me about V are the tokens for a beer, the ques for bar & toilets, Feeling like im putting my hand in my pocket at every turn

I much, much prefer Glastonbury for the overall experience, but you can still enjoy V. Negatives are the fact that you can only get to the arena at set times whereas everything at Glasto is open everywhere, and the maddening token system for booze. The crowd is younger, there is more drunkenness with resultant increase of people being sick. Loos less in abundance, queues always much longer. Hence more pissing up walls / bushes etc. I also had my tent stolen back in 2009.

However, the positives, it is much smaller and therefore more flexible. Easier to move around and move on to another act. And when you are with a group of mates I am sure you will have great fun.

When I compare the two to friends I always liken it as comparing London to Blackpool ( no disrespect intended to either! ) You can have a great time at both!

Edited by doubledutch

I went to V for the first time last time and a great time! Got to see a lot more music than I did at Glasto this year, but I enjoyed both festies for different reasons. Not sure if I would go back though as I couldn't afford to do both, and I would much rather go to Glasto, but V is good if you only want to listen to music. I didn't find going back to camp after it finished too much bother as this was the time when we could drink our own cider and just chat around our cooking stove cooking sausages 'til as late as we wanted. Didn't see any trouble either.

This year? ...you'll probs hate it, its all about the line up and its worse than ever this year.

In seriousness, its nice enough stages full of music, easy to get about, probs same % of dicks you get at main stages at glasto but with no where to really escape them.

Been to both.

Had a great time at V2006 but that was because Morrissey and Radiohead were headlining with Faithless on too. Think I would struggle keeping myself entertained at V this year which is never a problem at Glasto. Unlike Glasto v is all about the music.

They had the lager exchange scheme the year I went which was superb even though it was carling.

Edited by Craigston

One tip would be to get onto the clashfinder website and print off stage times the day before you go. If you don't you will have to pay £10/15 (dont know as I havent been for a few years) for a lanyard or else you won't know when to see those two or three bands who you want to see!

Get some for your mates too and you'll be popular all weekend.

This year? ...you'll probs hate it, its all about the line up and its worse than ever this year.

In seriousness, its nice enough stages full of music, easy to get about, probs same % of dicks you get at main stages at glasto but with no where to really escape them.

Never been to V but done various different festivals. Trick is as others have said just don't compare them.

To me festivals are like different bars or clubs in town. They attract different crowds and have different ways of doing things but you'd still go to a few on night out and enjoy yourself and you'd probably still have a favourite bar but you'd have a great time the others too.

Sorry that's a crap analogy but that's how I usually explain it to people when they ask me to compare festivals.

Edited by FluffyFairy

Never been to V but done various different festivals. Trick is as others have said just don't compare them.

To me festivals are like different bars or clubs in town. They attract different crowds and have different ways of doing things but you'd still go to a few on night out and enjoy yourself and you'd probably still have a favourite bar but you'd have a great time the others too.

Sorry that's a crap analogy but that's how I usually explain it to people when they ask me to compare festivals.