Football 2011-2012

Guest eFestivals

Andy Carroll managed to play an entire game last night without falling over the ball!!

he was dreadful again tho. Dreadful.

Was it the Chelsea fans singing his name last night or the Liverpool ones? There were at least two occasions it happened, both after he'd been particularly shit.

Liverpool fans obsession with slagging off Torres, needs to stop. A little bit embarrassing to be honest.

they'd stopped before the end of the match, realising there's no need to slag him off.

Feel bad for Lucas though, looks like hes done his cruciate. Thats the season done for him if so. Just when he was showing a big improvement.

a side impact like that isn't normally what does a cruciate (says a man with both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments ruptured). It's a front or back impact that normally does those, because of how they physically operate.

It might have done one of the other 2 knee ligaments (I'm not sure what they're called, but they're not cruciates), tho I wouldn't have thought that was too likely either.

What sort of impact is it that does a cartilage? Perhaps it's that instead? Or just a knee sprain of some kind.

Whatever it was it did look bad, and it'll be a big loss if he's out too long - tho Liverpool probably have one of the better adaptable midfields in the Prem.

I thought that last night their second string looked very good - better than Chelsea's, better than Arsenal's, and quite possibly better than City's too. I was very surprised, especially considering how dreadful it looked a year ago.

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• kaosmark2

• strummer77

a side impact like that isn't normally what does a cruciate (says a man with both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments ruptured). It's a front or back impact that normally does those, because of how they physically operate.

It might have done one of the other 2 knee ligaments (I'm not sure what they're called, but they're not cruciates), tho I wouldn't have thought that was too likely either.

What sort of impact is it that does a cartilage? Perhaps it's that instead? Or just a knee sprain of some kind.

Edited by The Nal

Could be side on too, but you can do cruciates fro the side.

you can I guess, but it'd be highly unusual I think. The cruciate ligaments very purpose is to stablise the backwards/forwards motion of the knee. They don't have any role in sideways pressure, which is what Lucas got last night.

If it'd have been an extremely hard impact onto him then I'd be more accommodating of the idea that it's his cruciates, but it wasn't that much of an impact at all.

As I say, both of mine are ruptured (from a motorbike accident when I was 18, a front impact onto the handlebars), and the way it shows is by my shin bone being able to move backwards and forwards within my knee-cap. There's no extra sideways movement because of the ruptures.

The fact that he got up for a minute and tried to play on and then was in bits isn't a good sign. He wouldn't have got up if it was cartilage or medial ligaments, I dont think.

But similarly, it could be just a knee sprain or something similarly minor (in comparison to ligaments). The sort of thing you might think you'll run off in a few minutes but which can't be run off and needs rest.

But whatever it is, it did defo look bad. Players normally only react like he did with bad injuries, tho there's been a few examples in the last year or so of players reacting similarly but then being back playing within a week or two.

And it was the Chelski fans singing "Carroll, you're a c**t, Carroll Carroll you're a c**t". Inventive as always.

that's not the singing I was referring to - there was also "there's only one Andy Carroll", particularly clear after his missed penalty.

from what I can remember from when I did my cruciates (I was also knocked out, and also broke my knee-cap) all those years ago, the body's reaction to that injury is the person wanting to move their knee, in a sort-of "if I wiggle it around a bit it'll pop back into place" way, and not the 'grasp your knee in pain' way that Lucas did last night.

But whatever he did, it defo looked like he thought it was bad.

I meant in general though, Liverpool should be focusing on the fact that they've lost a 20 goals a season man as opposed to

Chelsea buying a turkey.

or alternatively, Liverpool can be happy that they're £15M up and with a much lighter wage bill from swapping one player who's got 5 goals since January for another who's got 5 goals since January. :D

I still think he'll come good with service though, but not sure if he'll get it at Chelski because they play such a high line.

If Chelsea want to get the best out of Torres they'll have to change the way they play, just as Liverpool did.

It's a risky way to go at things tho, unless you've got a team and the backups for when necessary to make that style always work for you - which Liverpool didn't.

Special mention to Bellamy last night, clearly still gutted about Gary Speed, tears before the game, but he played a blinder. Great signing for Liverpool.

I'm no fan of Bellend, not a bit .... but I'm slowly coming round. He was good last night.

I still feel sorry for poor old Maxi tho. What does the guy have to do to get a game as first choice? Every time he's played for Dalglish he's been great, and has banged in the goals. I can only guess that he's thought of as too similar to Suarez in his style of play.

The Lucas thing is worrying though and it will be a massive loss if he's out. Could really be anything though. There was a gash on it

are you sure it was a gash, and not just mud?

I saw what I thought was a gash too before he (first) went off, but it wasn't there as he came back on the field. So I presumed h3e'd had the magic sponge on his knee and it'd washed the mud away. When it was clean as her came back on there didn't appear to be a mark on his knee, and given that the impact he suffered wasn't a kick to the knee or anything that might have caused a gash (unless it had happened earlier?) then I reckon it was mud.

we really need Jay Spearing to keep putting in a shift like last night.

yup - he's getting better. And Henderson is improving loads too.

Oh and what a picture this is. Liverpool fans chanting for Gary Speed as he came off.

6O5lA.jpg

I noticed that too - a nice touch. :)

Even better I reckon was the 11 minutes of 'Gary Speed' from the Leeds fans last night, with the players chipping in on the tribute with a goal.

are you sure it was a gash, and not just mud?

I saw what I thought was a gash too before he (first) went off, but it wasn't there as he came back on the field. So I presumed h3e'd had the magic sponge on his knee and it'd washed the mud away. When it was clean as her came back on there didn't appear to be a mark on his knee, and given that the impact he suffered wasn't a kick to the knee or anything that might have caused a gash (unless it had happened earlier?) then I reckon it was mud.

Two great headlines* I've just seen... :lol::lol:

1. 'Enry isn't ruling out signing Anelka, but it depends how much of a backhander he can get on the deal.

2. Blackburn deliberately lost last night so that they can concentrate on the league. They didn't lose because Kean is a shit manager.

* the headlines might have been adapted, just a little. :P

I'm no fan of Bellend, not a bit .... but I'm slowly coming round. He was good last night.

I still feel sorry for poor old Maxi tho. What does the guy have to do to get a game as first choice? Every time he's played for Dalglish he's been great, and has banged in the goals. I can only guess that he's thought of as too similar to Suarez in his style of play.

Two great headlines* I've just seen... :lol::lol:

1. 'Enry isn't ruling out signing Anelka, but it depends how much of a backhander he can get on the deal.

2. Blackburn deliberately lost last night so that they can concentrate on the league. They didn't lose because Kean is a shit manager.

* the headlines might have been adapted, just a little. :P

If Chelsea want to get the best out of Torres they'll have to change the way they play, just as Liverpool did.

It's a risky way to go at things tho, unless you've got a team and the backups for when necessary to make that style always work for you - which Liverpool didn't.

So Lucas out for 6-9 months then. Poor bloke. Liverpool are going to miss him. They've called Shelvey back from loan at Blackpool.

Lets hope for a speedy recovery. Lets hope he comes back stronger like when Keano did it and it doesn't plague his career like it did with Ronaldo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEPLjA09APs

Edited by The Nal