The Festival's Not What It Used to Be

Guest ukslim

At the weekend I was kicking myself for feeling that i've changed!

When I first started going to festivals I would take a tent and a sleeping bag and a slight change of clothes that was it.

As the years have gone by I then went on to getting an airbed, then despite all the muddy years I decided after 2007 that maybe It waas time to get wellies (I went barefooted through every muddy festival), last year I progressed even further onto getting a camping stove and this year to my own disgust have now gone to buy waterproof trouses! I feel like Im becoming such a wimp but If it means I can enjoy the festival to the max what ever the weather etc.. so be it!

I guess like everything and everybody we all change and maybe for the good or bad of it improve!

I bet you'll find that the so crusty's of old that worked to make the festival so great made so much money from the festival (in the boom) that they are driving about themselves about in their BMWs and are able to host many of these smaller "boutique festival" that are around now using there experience that they picked up through Glastonbury

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about that. I bet there were lots of near misses.

perhaps, but not that I ever experienced or heard of.

Mostly, the authorities used spurious reasons for taking action. For example, one of things which the old bill rolled out as one of the reasons why 'good society' couldn't allow Stonehenge Free to continue was that "someone died last year" - and they did.

But what actually happened was the someone died as the result of a gas canister exploding, which would have happened even on a society-sensible caravan club approved campsite - the problem was that person's actions rather than anything specifically about the festival.

Hillsborough is something very close to my heart. Leaving aside the role of the police there, it was still something that could have been avoided so easily through design of the stadium etc. To hear people nowadays talk about the good old terrace days, with people penned in like animals, makes me slightly angry.

I agree completely with this.

Earlier RussyCarps went on about how Health and Safety was an 'excuse for authorities to clamp down'. I've got to let you in on a little secret - institutions aren't inherently evil, authority in itself has no viewpoint. Not everyone is out to ruin your fun.

Hillsborough is something very close to my heart. Leaving aside the role of the police there, it was still something that could have been avoided so easily through design of the stadium etc. To hear people nowadays talk about the good old terrace days, with people penned in like animals, makes me slightly angry.

This idea that any festival would be better with it easier for people to enter for free is nothing short of absurd. Having it all tickets my definition decreases the ticket prices, not raise it. Personally I am entirely supportive of having a decent fence and of the festival developing in a way which keeps everyone safe. Even the idea of Pulp/Radiohead in the Park worries me tbh.

JFT96.

Hold on, variety needn't cost more.

Let's say you have landfill indie band A and landfill indie band B, each charging £2,000 for a set.

Total cost £4,000.

Drop landfill indie band B, and replace them with jazz funk experimentalist band C, also charging £2,000, and it still costs £4,000 total, but there's more variety.

However, anyone who claims there's not enough variety at Glastonbury, isn't looking very hard.

Damn right! Historically, the CJB/CJA was supposed to stop us having fun in a field, it did a good job for a while but then people started to put festivals on legitimately but for little money, not-for-profit collectives etc...therefore, the best way to nail these fun-loving blighters was to drown em in HSE, Sound-level monitoring, form filling and general unneccessary'ness...

Not got much to add to the thread overall, the day Glasto was televised it became 'everyones festival', floodgates opened and the sustainable madness that was, was sustainable no more.. Respect to the organisers for keeping it going, it is still magical if you look for it [not bin for 4 years personally]..

Retire you old fart!!! [my old boss :lol: ]

Well, it's more likely you'd have heard of it than me.

However I remember lots of really serious overcrowding situations, where we were being compressed into tight choke points by sheer pressure of the crowds behind. It would *amaze* me if there hadn't been asthma attacks, panic attacks, tramplings, etc. in those that warranted paramedic attention, and which could have resulted in death with just a little bit of extra bad luck.

No one is, I think, trying to say that all heath and safety is unnecessary, they're saying much of it goes waaaay too far.

For example, at the last Glastonbury there was the 'Glastonbury World Cup' done by some members of these forums. I'm not trying to demean it in any way, but at the end of the day it was nothing more than a kick around in the park. The guys who organised it had to do a written risk assessment before the Festival said it could happen.

Spontaneity of any and all kinds is now specifically excluded by the licence.

Not all 'progress' is good.

Surely this post is mainly arguing "things aren't as good as they used to be" but nothing ever is (as you tend to remember it!)

That's what memories are for, reminiscing about the good old times. But things change and you actually wouldn't want to go bk to those times in your life cause you've moved on yourself and grown up. (and it still wouldn't feel the same anyway)

Even if you don't like this 'change', either don't go or continue to go and enjoy it for what it is now! Don't care about things that annoy you, I'm sure everyone hates something about the festival (however minor), but just enjoy it!! :)

No one is, I think, trying to say that all heath and safety is unnecessary, they're saying much of it goes waaaay too far.

For example, at the last Glastonbury there was the 'Glastonbury World Cup' done by some members of these forums. I'm not trying to demean it in any way, but at the end of the day it was nothing more than a kick around in the park. The guys who organised it had to do a written risk assessment before the Festival said it could happen.

Spontaneity of any and all kinds is now specifically excluded by the licence.

Not all 'progress' is good.

The tone of these responses is far too negative. I've only missed 5 since 1978 so I feel I can comment with some authority. The festival is, in my view, better in many ways than it was in the 80's and 90's. It's lost some of the anarchic charm and some of the madness but I don't see that as such a bad thing - maybe because I'm 52 and prefer a certain degree of security - who ever enjoyed having a dealer waving a machete in their face or a completely anti-social prick from the Merseyside area threatening you if you didn't share your firewood? I didn't care for either. There is so much to see and do now that you can never, ever feel bored.The famous vibe is still there in spades - why do you think I go every year? The food is far, far better and the chances of you getting a bug from it are much lower. Drink options are vast and not unreasonable AND you can still take just about anything in with you. It's much better organised but then you can get so much more out of the week with a bit of rudimentary planning. PLUS the festival is full of hotties - always a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The musical policy hasn't really changed that much over the years - still no real metal or heavy music to speak of (my sole criticism)and a generally disinterested attitude to prog unless its COOL (Radiohead and Muse being the more obvious examples). I went to Sunrise Celebration a few weeks ago and I found it VERY similar to the current Glastonbury albeit on a much smaller scale.It's still the best, it's still fairly bonkers, it still makes you realise that most people are lovely human beings and it still knocks my socks off. As my brother -in-law said the other day in the pub while trying to explain the attraction to somebody "It's the bset thing this country does" I happen to agree 100% with that statement.

I have been going to Glastonbury, and gigs and festivals since my teenage years..from punk, rave, the craziness of Spiral Tribe et al - which i loved and changed my life. i love the total anarchy and freedom, but there were dangers. i don't think that is always a bad thing, and i hate the health and safety gone mad culture..

but now, i am going to glasto with my 3 kids, twins 6 and 10 year old. we went last year too with them and they adored it. i want to give them the gift of music that doesnt involve justin beiber and the x factor, which we just don't have on. i'm sure there are younger people at glasto who see our family and think we are too straight to be there or something because we have kids, but i feel it'as mine too. i have grown up with it. i don't like all the changes - in fact we went to the "family friendly" camp bestival last year, and it was pants. kids all safely trussed up with the ear defenders on at all times, very corporate, music aimed at the 40 somethings. a step too far for me

but i have to admit that i have changed now that i have kids, and i like the fact it feels safe to have them there. i don't want to be up for 3 days straight any more

its takes all sorts to make a world. so i don't have an answer for what changes are good or not, but i think it's almost as wild as you want it to be if you go off road.

I thought the festival brittania prog the other night summed it up well..it's sad those days are gone, but you're not going to get them back..not in this country, so you might as well enjoy. otherwise seek your fun abroad like spiral tribe did to be free!!

should it not be about the personalities and ideals that the majority of people who go to the festival have, rather than about the amount of money in their wallet?

that is what still rates glastonbury above every other festival

i've never asked anyone at glasto how much they earn

chill out and stop trying to be so bloody worthy

The tone of these responses is far too negative. I've only missed 5 since 1978 so I feel I can comment with some authority. The festival is, in my view, better in many ways than it was in the 80's and 90's. It's lost some of the anarchic charm and some of the madness but I don't see that as such a bad thing - maybe because I'm 52 and prefer a certain degree of security - who ever enjoyed having a dealer waving a machete in their face or a completely anti-social prick from the Merseyside area threatening you if you didn't share your firewood? I didn't care for either. There is so much to see and do now that you can never, ever feel bored.The famous vibe is still there in spades - why do you think I go every year? The food is far, far better and the chances of you getting a bug from it are much lower. Drink options are vast and not unreasonable AND you can still take just about anything in with you. It's much better organised but then you can get so much more out of the week with a bit of rudimentary planning. PLUS the festival is full of hotties - always a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The musical policy hasn't really changed that much over the years - still no real metal or heavy music to speak of (my sole criticism)and a generally disinterested attitude to prog unless its COOL (Radiohead and Muse being the more obvious examples). I went to Sunrise Celebration a few weeks ago and I found it VERY similar to the current Glastonbury albeit on a much smaller scale.It's still the best, it's still fairly bonkers, it still makes you realise that most people are lovely human beings and it still knocks my socks off. As my brother -in-law said the other day in the pub while trying to explain the attraction to somebody "It's the bset thing this country does" I happen to agree 100% with that statement.

I've only done the one Glastonbury last year so can't comment on "the good ol' days" but for the people who think Glastonbury is full of middle class, white teens, boring people, no mental nutjob characters, too commercial, no variety, it costs too much & isn't value for money... go to Reading Festival this (it still hasn't sold out) or next year & let us know how you get on?

I think Glastonbury is the best thing in the world & if it's not perfect, it damn well nearly is.